Author Topic: Ice spuds ....which one ??  (Read 2930 times)

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice spuds ....which one ??
« on: Sep 14, 2020, 11:45 PM »
Looking for an ice spud....which one should I get ? And thanks !

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice spuds ....which one ??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2020, 04:32 AM »
I use a Eskimo one piece chisel at 4.5 lbs it's easy to use without being fatiguing.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2020, 04:53 AM »
I use a Eskimo one piece chisel at 4.5 lbs it's easy to use without being fatiguing.
Benched  my green monster after 40 years for the Eskimo Red neck Economy spud , just had to relearn,  as it is much lighter
 I only use it for testing ice integrity Works just fine

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Sep 15, 2020, 05:20 AM »
Something light enough to bring each and every outing ...but heavy enough to get the job done . . I prefer one piece . I have an older/discontinued Frabill 53" stepped chisel . This one is practically a twin..easy on the wallet too

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-ice-chisel
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 15, 2020, 05:34 AM »
Anyone is better than none

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 15, 2020, 06:10 AM »
I have the big Eskimo Red Neck one piece.  It is great for testing and chopping holes, but it's a bear.  Long treks make me want to leave it in the sled.  Be aware of weight when you buy.  I think I will look to downgrade this season.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 15, 2020, 06:42 AM »
Last season ...being what it was ..I got my moneys worth out of my chisel each outing . Got to practice with it to get the feel and sound of the ice .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 15, 2020, 07:02 AM »
I recommend the Mille de Lacs single-piece spud - - about 5 feet long with a ring at the end to tie a loop to put around your wrist and a "notched" edge.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8 on: Sep 15, 2020, 07:12 AM »
I have been carrying the same spud that I bought when I was 16 years old. It's been getting heavier and heavier as I get older...  I plan on setting my sentimental feelings aside along with the aches and pains, and pick up one of these Eskimo Red neck Economy spud, 4-1/2 lbs! Thanks for bringing up the subject and the info!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Sep 15, 2020, 07:21 AM »
I have been carrying the same spud that I bought when I was 16 years old. It's been getting heavier and heavier as I get older...  I plan on setting my sentimental feelings aside along with the aches and pains, and pick up one of these Eskimo Red neck Economy spud, 4-1/2 lbs! Thanks for bringing up the subject and the info!

this one weights in a 5-5.5 lbs

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-ice-chisel

Offline hawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 15, 2020, 07:26 AM »
I recommend the Mille de Lacs single-piece spud - - about 5 feet long with a ring at the end to tie a loop to put around your wrist and a "notched" edge.
i have this one also. It’s great for loosening a frozen house but the cheap little ones are way better suited to walking and checking ice. The Mille Lacs is probably the best production chisel out there but heavy and overkill to walk with. IMHO

Offline hole_hopper454

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Sep 15, 2020, 07:57 AM »
I have the big Eskimo Red Neck one piece.  It is great for testing and chopping holes, but it's a bear.  Long treks make me want to leave it in the sled.  Be aware of weight when you buy.  I think I will look to downgrade this season.

I have the same one and have been thinking about switching too. I think it weighs over 11 lbs, gets rough on the shoulder on those long walks. My old spud was too light, and took multiple hits in the same spots to determine if it was safe. The heavy one only takes one or two spuds and I'm down a couple inches, much more practical for checking as I walk. Would be nice to find something in that 7 lb range. I fish the Mississippi River backwaters, so I use the spud all ice season, even when spots have 2 feet of ice to check running sloughs with current that may only have a couple inches.

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Sep 15, 2020, 09:05 AM »
Great response!.....get em coming ...and thanks !

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #13 on: Sep 15, 2020, 09:26 AM »
Weight is probably the most important aspect of a good spud. I prefer a solid bar for better feel and consistent control. Had a lighter weight tube shafted one once. I was a piece of junk for testing or chopping until I added some lead shot to increase the weight. That also took some of the "spring" out of it when you hit the ice. I eventually lost it but if I find a "can't walk away" deal on another hollow spud it'll be mine if the chisel is right and I can add what I need.

I also have a "custom" bar made from a 1" steel bar with a piece of leaf spring welded on the end for a chisel. It is heavy but that spring holds an edge like nothing I've ever seen. Didn't cost me a penny either. I supplied the spring section and the rest was courtesy of "government work" from the maintenance crew at work  ::) ;D
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 15, 2020, 02:14 PM »
I have an eskimo 1 piece after a buddy put my clam 1 piece through the ice. I am assuming the same spud just painted different colors, feels and looks the same besides color. I was advised years ago not to get a 2 piece.

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 15, 2020, 02:23 PM »
One thing I think we can all agree on (from the consensus among the posts thus far) is that one-piece rather than two-piece is the way to go.

I had a two-piece, and at first it seemed attractive because you could take it apart and store it (e.g., in your sled) more easily. 

But it was a nightmare to try to dissemble when the two pieces were frozen together, and eventually the "threads" where it screwed together got "stripped."

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Sep 15, 2020, 02:35 PM »
One thing I think we can all agree on (from the consensus among the posts thus far) is that one-piece rather than two-piece is the way to go.

I had a two-piece, and at first it seemed attractive because you could take it apart and store it (e.g., in your sled) more easily. 

But it was a nightmare to try to dissemble when the two pieces were frozen together, and eventually the "threads" where it screwed together got "stripped."

Some have pins ..easy to lose ..or squirrel away in that special place/pocket never to be seen again

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 15, 2020, 02:52 PM »
One-piece is a better alternative in my opinion. Whether you purchase one, make your own, or find one at a thrift shop, (like I did for $5.00!), a spud is definitely a “no-brainer” when it comes to early or late ice. The weight factor isn’t a big issue when it comes to your safety.
Cleats are another item to consider when spudding new ice. Those chips are worse than ball bearings on glare
ice! I took a fall two years ago. My buddy was doing the chipping, and from what he told me, I was out cold for a bit. That’s what I get for being in a hurry. I’ll never cheat on cleats again, that’s for sure!  ;D
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15, 2020, 03:01 PM »
Benched  my green monster after 40 years for the Eskimo Red neck Economy spud , just had to relearn,  as it is much lighter
 I only use it for testing ice integrity Works just fine

Same spud I use gets the job done
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2020, 08:01 AM »
I made my own spud many years ago from a tubular shaft and the tooth of a wood chipper from a lumber mill.  The trick is to not have a blade too wide.  Here in Quebec, the ice gets to 30 inches thick early during the winter.  That's when a gas ice auger is a must.  However, I also fish in the Saguenay River which has salt water and the tides cause the ice close to shore (where the smelt and brook trout are) to touch bottom at low tide.  This picks up sand and small rocks that ruin the blade of an ice auger.  This is where the ice spud comes in handy even though I sometimes have to cut through 3 feet of ice.  I often start the hole with the ice auger and then finish off with the spud which is easier to sharpen than the blades of the ice auger.  My ice spud is about 6 feet long and weighs close to 5 lbs.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2020, 02:19 PM »

Without question. This thing is light, durable and the perfect height. I love mine.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline LSE138

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2020, 07:01 PM »
I have a Razr-Back Ice Chisel, works great, but weighs 7.7lbs! Swinging that thing at 9,500ft elevation isn't very fun. I only use it for early and late ice to test thickness/safety.

Offline TickleStick

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 18, 2020, 09:01 PM »
I have a 1 piece Cabelas ice spud that I got a couple years ago, it works excellent, the one I purchased is the older model and came with a
foam handle, the new ones are garbage, they don't have a foam handle anymore, BPS replaced the foam with some heat shrink....

Pass.
WINTER IS COMING!

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Sep 20, 2020, 08:48 AM »
I fitted a bicycle grip to my eskimo.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Sep 20, 2020, 10:38 AM »
I fitted a bicycle grip to my eskimo.

like that ..used my spud alot last season ..rhis would of helped.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #25 on: Sep 29, 2020, 05:06 PM »
Anyone is better than none

Yup. Just acclimate yourself to the one you use. Practice using the same force each time will give you a good indication of how many "thumps" it takes to get through X amount of inches of ice.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Nessmuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Oct 01, 2020, 11:48 PM »
Thanks for all the input...just ordered an Eskimo Red neck 4 1/2 pound spud.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.