Author Topic: keweenaw bay  (Read 24729 times)

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
Re: keweenaw bay
« Reply #150 on: Mar 12, 2014, 06:45 PM »
Anybody having any real luck in areas within walking distance?

I'm sad to say this is my last winter up here , I would really love to get a few lakers through the ice!

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Mar 13, 2014, 07:20 PM »
Yeah every spot out there is in walking distance except for the reef.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Safety first. The fish will wait!
« Reply #152 on: Mar 13, 2014, 08:42 PM »
There are fish at the base of the dropoffs from Carlas down to the tire shop on the west side and Jentofts up past the whirligig on the East side.  Walking is easy now with the snow being packed tight but the fish are mostly small and the last few trips have been picky; more hanging on than biting.  The shallower flats seem empty lately and I don't care to fish the deep 240+ for the fish with so many leeches hanging off the chin they look like beards.  GA73 described them that way once and it stuck in my head. ;D

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #153 on: Mar 15, 2014, 01:56 PM »
Well i made it out yesterday 3-14. I ended up going off of wirli gig. I did take the 2 wd wheeler and once ya get past the one area close to shore it wasnt bad at all. I sat out on the ice for about 4 hours and ended up the day with two. I missed way to much tho. The rain sucked tho but hey here is a couple pics think imma try to get back out befor the ice goes a way.. the small one was my first laker on the ice.

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Mar 15, 2014, 06:14 PM »
How is the snow off of the bungalow?

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #155 on: Mar 15, 2014, 09:38 PM »
Sunup, how deep are you talking when you say the base of the drop offs on the west side?

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #156 on: Mar 16, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Where do you access the lake from on Des Rochers road? I see the vehicles parked on the south leg of the road but I don't know where you go from there to reach the water. I assume that people are heading out to Farmers Reef from there?  How has the fishing been there lately?

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Mar 16, 2014, 11:01 PM »
East of the Mission there is a slowly deepening flat that goes about 3/4 mile to about 200' then drops quickly to 245.   That is the base,  then it gradually deepens to 270' or so.  Up by Carla's it's about 1 1/4 mile to 125' then a drop to 265 and a deeper flat out to 300 or so.  Play with that Navionics app and you'll see what it looks like.  Many fishermen like the deep flats but I prefer the base and up the sides of the drops.  At Derocher's rd there is a trail that runs through someone's camp yard a little South of the corner where everyone parks.  I never felt right about going through without knowing the property owner and haven't since 2005(?).  Can't remember any more.  But the fishing was great. Released this one and many others like it that trip.  Millertime put us on that bunch of fish and I  thank him to this day.

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #158 on: Mar 16, 2014, 11:35 PM »
That camp owner is fine with it as long as no one liters or messes with the camp.

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Mar 17, 2014, 10:17 AM »
We were out yesterday 3-16 off of the gig. Had a beautiful day to be out on the ice with some good company.

Fishing was slow for most of the day then picked up are 5ish ended up with 3 lakers and got me my first ellpout. Ice was damn near perfect condition could run where ever on the 2wd wheeler plus walking was easy as can be.

Here is some pics.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Mar 17, 2014, 11:29 AM »
We were out yesterday 3-16 off of the gig. Had a beautiful day to be out on the ice with some good company.

Fishing was slow for most of the day then picked up are 5ish ended up with 3 lakers and got me my first ellpout. Ice was damn near perfect condition could run where ever on the 2wd wheeler plus walking was easy as can be.

Trapper: Thanks for the info.
A week sure makes a huge difference in travel out there. You could walk or ride anywhere out there without sinking in the snow this past weekend. The weekend before you would not have made it out there with the 2wd. It was even tough to walk around between the holes. I hope we don't get too much snow now this week so traveling stays easy.

Offline 63rfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Mar 19, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Anyone know if Indian country sports has spawn sacs?

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Mar 22, 2014, 10:40 AM »
Anyone else driving trucks out to the reef since that guy back in February?
Good Fishin!!!

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #163 on: Mar 22, 2014, 01:14 PM »
Any updates/tips for some kids looking to catch some of their first lakers? We would be hoofing it and using rods/reels. Sounds like most of the bigger fish are quite a ways out, but we would be content with just catching lakers of any size!

Offline ER1993

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #164 on: Mar 22, 2014, 04:39 PM »
Anyone else driving trucks out to the reef since that guy back in February?

roger

Offline pynners

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #165 on: Mar 22, 2014, 11:39 PM »
IceFisher 40..you can do alright just walking out from jentofts dock. stop at indian country sports n pick up some jigs n smelt n ask steve koski for directions..he'll help ya out

Offline Derekahola

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Mar 24, 2014, 05:28 PM »
About ten trucks were on the reef this past saturday still  over 2 ft thick fishing the reef has been slow though for most

Offline lipripper89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #167 on: Mar 28, 2014, 10:52 AM »
Might make one more run out there before it starts breaking up.
Good Fishin!!!

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Mar 29, 2014, 08:20 PM »
We tried out from DesRochers rd. this morning. We went, I think, to Farmers Reef.  It was about 2.15 miles out from the Highway straight out from the old clinic building. I dropped my line down in 70' of water, jigged it about 3 times and caught a 23" laker. We never got another bite! I still have no idea where the other reefs are located but we saw quite a number of people to the SE of us at least a mile or more away. There were also a lot of people out to the NE. I don't know how close they were to the open water but I didn't want to find out. Anybody else have any luck out there today? Where is Big Reef really? GPS coordinates?

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #169 on: Mar 29, 2014, 10:36 PM »
Hey flag where is the open water at?
We are gonna go out tomorrow not sure of we are gonna go to the gig or maybe the bungalow. Trying to help some.friends get a first.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Mar 29, 2014, 10:45 PM »
Look at the Modis images of the Lake Superior ice cover. The easy way to find them is to go the Indian Country Sports home page and click on the link. It runs roughly from the tip of the Keweenaw to Point Abbaye to somewhere south of Traverse Bay. It isn't completely open but it is not the solid ice that you want to fish on.

Offline chasepalosaari

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Mar 29, 2014, 10:47 PM »
Theres not much if any open water. Rabbit island is 12 miles north of farmers reef and there's ice passed that. You're safe. Check this out. http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=s&page=1

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #172 on: Mar 30, 2014, 11:05 PM »
Theres not much if any open water. Rabbit island is 12 miles north of farmers reef and there's ice passed that. You're safe. Check this out. http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/webdata/cwops/html/modis/modis.php?region=s&page=1

You had better look at the images again Chase. That "ice" from Point Abbaye to the tip of the Keweenaw seems to be moving around every day.  There is a strip up the side of the peninsula, and it does look like that includes the water between Rabbit island and the shore,  that looks like it is solid but the majority is not. It is not worth drowning over a couple of fish.

Offline Trapper906

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #173 on: Mar 31, 2014, 03:48 PM »
We fished off of the bungalow on Sunday sure was a windy day and not many fish. Our group of 4 pulled up on fish i never even had a bite. The current was strong at times so it made it hard to stay in contact with the bottom. I am hopping to make it back out here soon thinking about just going back to the gig atleast i got some fish there lol.

Has anyone heard anything about the guy who lost his sled? A guy was telling me about it some said he dont know if the guy ever found it.

Offline Yooper350

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #174 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:44 PM »

Has anyone heard anything about the guy who lost his sled? A guy was telling me about it some said he dont know if the guy ever found it.

Was it the sled that got a bag hung up on the handle bars and took off ghost riding across the bay?  I've been really curious if the sled was found but haven't heard anything.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #175 on: Apr 05, 2014, 10:23 PM »
We went out from Whirl-I-Gig today again. Somebody quit just as we were heading out and we dropped our 1st line in one of his holes. I think we caught 3 trout there in the 1st hour and a couple of others in other holes as well. It slowed down at times throughout the day but we did wind up catching 11 fish in all with 8 of them being legal size. There were a couple of other spurts in action in the late afternoon and right around sunset.

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Apr 10, 2014, 09:00 PM »
Anybody been out on the bay the last couple of days? How is the ice doing?

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Apr 19, 2014, 11:35 PM »
Still feet of ice on the bay off of Whirl-I-Gig. We caught 7 lakers, 6 legal size, today. Not much snow or slush and easy traveling with the 4 wheelers. There weren't too many other fishermen out there though.

Offline sunup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Apr 20, 2014, 10:38 AM »
How is the shoreline holding up? 

Offline Flag UP

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #179 on: Apr 21, 2014, 04:23 PM »
How is the shoreline holding up?

No problem off of the Gig lot but broken up in places elsewhere.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.