The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Budd Lake/ Harrison questions  (Read 3510 times)

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
Budd Lake/ Harrison questions
« on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:52 AM »
Iceless in Ohio!

I’m looking to take a weekend trip within the next couple of weeks. I’ve been to Houghton the last two years, and I looking for a smaller lake. I’m dragging a one-man flip on foot, and I move around a lot to find fish. I’m primarily interested in crappie, gills, and perch. But it will just be C&R (too lazy to clean fish), and I’m happy to be catching anything on the ice as I’ve only been out 3 times this winter in Ohio.

So, how is the ice on Budd Lake?

I’m looking at staying at Lakeside Motel, would that be a good choice? I don’t need much, just a place to crash for a few hours when I’m not fishing.

How is the night fishing on Budd? I’m looking to maximize my time on the ice, and enjoy marathon (16-18hr) fishing days in the flip-over.

In my research, I see “the power dock” referenced as a good place to launch. Is that public access/parking off of Beech Street? Is Wilson Park a convenient place to launch (easy drag from the parking to the lake)? What about launching from Lakeside Motel?

Any info on the area/ current conditions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Budd Lake/ Harrison questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:58 AM »
budd lake has plenty of ice still just drove my car out monday, fishing has been pretty good,lots of perch crappie to be had the bluegills are really small though some nice pike have been caught, your best bet is to bounce around, good luck up here the ice is here to stay

Offline swen

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2017, 07:50 PM »
Hope people know there are muskies stocked in there and know the difference between pike and muskie!!

Offline stilljiggin7001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:16 AM »
Driving up from Ohio is the ice still good any info will help please and thanks in advance

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Still driving out on budd,ice is 13 to 14 solid black. Fishing has slowed way down but nice fish have still been caught.If you want pike I would try somewhere else.Flags don't go up very often but I have caught some pigs in the past.Crappie and Perch are the real draw on this lake.

Offline stilljiggin7001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2017, 10:39 AM »
Thanks perch would be great to get in to but just getting on some ice for a day  will be good thanks

Offline stilljiggin7001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 11, 2017, 10:17 AM »
We will be there in the morning. How's the fishing been?

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2017, 12:39 PM »
Fishing has been slow but some days the fish do turn on just not as often as earlier season.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2017, 10:19 PM »
My brother, his boy and buddy, and I went a few weeks ago and just slayed the gills. Between the four of us we caught a several hundred with the occasional perch. My brother, his boy, and buddy left with 54. I was more selective and left with 9 good sized 7"-8" gills. I plan on going in the morning as well.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline stilljiggin7001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:23 AM »
A good 14 inches of ice  very slow bite.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:27 AM »
Well the ice is the important part lol

Waiting on my brother to hurry the (exploitive deleted) up so we can head out. Hopefully the bite will turn on by the time we get there. Are you using electronics at all?
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline stilljiggin7001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2017, 09:35 AM »
Yes we are marking fish bite is just slow were behind do it best

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:11 PM »
Did pretty good, for me, today. Totally smoked my brother and my nephew! Got out from 12:30-2:00. Fished between 15'-18.5' of water. Caught about dozen+ perch between 8"-12", kept 5. In-between the perch were a bunch of pumpkin seeds ranging from 3"-7". Only 5-6 decent ones out of probably 30 pumpkin seeds, all released. My brother and his boy had the same results regarding species and size but just didn't catch as many with only about a dozen each. They didn't keep any.

We drilled 6 holes between the 3 of us. I was using my TUCR Precision Noodle w/ Abu Garcia Cardinal SX5 spooled with 2# Suffix Ice Magic tied to a 3mm tungsten orange/green Fiskas tipped with a single spike. Of course had my flasher, Marcum VX-1i. Works great for panfish with the bottom zoom.

Fish were on the bottom 18" and would come in alternating waves of pumpkin seeds and perch. I had to first get there attention on the bottom then let the more interested fish follow the jig up to the 18"-ish mark and then hold position and jig only a 1/4" cadence, about 4 "jigs" per second for about 5 seconds then pause for 5-10 seconds. Repeat if necessary.

My brother and his boy were using their custom noodles I built them with whatever "cheap" reels and line they use. Lead jigs and spikes.

Everyone was saying the bite was slow but for an hour and half, I did pretty decent. Not a keeper every bite but a good day on the ice none the less.

How'd you end up doing stilljiggin7001?

Offline stilljiggin7001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 12, 2017, 04:39 PM »
Marked a lot of fish and few stolen minnows but no fish on the ice.going to try again in 2 weeks if the ice holds up if you could keep me updated I would appreciate it maybe next time we can get on the ice together.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2017, 05:55 PM »
Just drove off budd a hour ago,14-15 inches of ice, caught a 13 inch perch and a 32 inch pike, should be good for awhile during this warm up.

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2017, 06:17 AM »
be up there late this morning, eskimo single and clam 2 man, come say hi
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Offline Hardwaterluver

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2017, 10:03 PM »
just got back home, lots of marks, lots of lookers, 3 perch and 1 pike
If your gonna be dumb..........you'd better be tough.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2017, 08:21 AM »
I'll be headed out that way here within the hour, anyone else going out today?

Blue Shappell Widehouse 5500, jetsled with a green pull rope, names Ryan, stop by.

Offline iceskeeter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 09, 2017, 05:50 PM »
going to travel north this weekend for one last go. Is the ice gone at Budd lake? Little help buddlake musky.

Offline buddlakemusky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 09, 2017, 08:32 PM »
Budd lake is still froze over but it looks trashed, no one is fishing and kens landing ain't getting more bait because of it
I was gonna go this weekend but the way it looks got me thinking small game hunting instead
Can this cold weather heal it remains to be scene

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.