Author Topic: Newfound Circus Season 2019  (Read 63305 times)

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Newfound Circus Season 2019
« Reply #90 on: Jan 21, 2019, 02:53 PM »
I'll bet it is RUGGED out there right now!! Hope it's fishy!

It’s always “fishy” but getting them to bite is another story! ;D

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Jan 21, 2019, 03:52 PM »
1/21
Didn’t fish today but Psycho and Redfin were out there. I drove by my house and put the binocular on it. All is good until I look and see an older gentleman approaching me from his house. I told him I wasn’t a peeking tom but just checking my house.
Turns out he wanted to meet me as I’ve had my bobhouse off his property for the past 15+ years. I use his house as a land mark to my spot. He and his wife wanted to come out and visit but didn’t want to intrude. We had a nice conversation, watched Psycho and Redfin check my house and chatted w them on the radio. He was amazed as to how the Newfound Circus behaves.
He refers to me as the winter resident due to me being there every year. I remember One year his wife hollered out to me fro their deck when I moved my house up, “welcome back!!”
Anyways, after our conversation, he invite my wife to use his drive way to park as it is a much shorter distance than driving across the lake to pick her up.
I invited them to have dinner w us some night out on the lake.
On Newfound, things just seem to work out for the best.
Great story, Jiggin.  @)
Generally, what goes around, comes around.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #92 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:09 PM »
Very cool, Jiggin. It can be fun (and sometimes helpful) to meet some of the property owners. You'll have to bring out a little card table or something for your double date dinner.

Yeah, it was cold for sure today! When I got home, my digital thermometer said today's high was -1....... -9 when I left for work. Next weekend will feel like spring icefishing!
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #93 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:10 PM »

They work out for the best because of the group of people involved. That’s why you’re the “Ringmaster” Jiggin!!!🎪🎪🎪🎟

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • HOUSE ON THE LAKE WITH NO TAXES!
« Reply #94 on: Jan 21, 2019, 04:19 PM »
I had a really “OFF” weekend ...
You ever get those days where your just off .
Well my camera couldn’t survive the trip out to the bobhouse and found out it was broke when I unpacked it. So I had to fish blind,...(sorta I still had fish finder). Missed 4 but this is something I want to get better at. Also wasn’t feeling to well, and already had planned on moving house to prepare for storm. The move went flawless, it was as I was leaving looking at bobhouse ,something wasn’t right......I left
Phyco Phil sent me a picture of my house today ,and asked me why I didn’t use blocks !!
I told ya something wasn’t right...lol, well I got lucky on that one, bobhouse was ok,and phyco blocked it up for me in true circus fashion! Just can’t believe I did something like that......oh well new camera coming in tomorrow!!
ICE TO THE TOP PLEASE!!!.....

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #95 on: Jan 21, 2019, 06:54 PM »
Good to hear no one's shanty suffered damage from the storm. Jiggin sounds like you have made some new friends . If you find out your going to be on an episode of North Woods Law please let all of us know so we can watch.
Steve

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:02 AM »
Out today for half a day...soon as I drilled holes water came up all around. About 3” of standing water around the house and snow sucking it up and getting slushy. I placed the house based on Navionics depth and got screwed again. Instead of 35 FOW like it says on the App we’re in 63’ and dark as hell down there. My bad for not checking the spot with my camera first. Oh well...no lakers in sight and lots of plankton floating around making visibility low. Wellington access road is plowed but the trailer parking are is not. We’ll see how the morning goes...

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #97 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:06 AM »
1/21
Didn’t fish today but Psycho and Redfin were out there. I drove by my house and put the binocular on it. All is good until I look and see an older gentleman approaching me from his house. I told him I wasn’t a peeking tom but just checking my house.
Turns out he wanted to meet me as I’ve had my bobhouse off his property for the past 15+ years. I use his house as a land mark to my spot. He and his wife wanted to come out and visit but didn’t want to intrude. We had a nice conversation, watched Psycho and Redfin check my house and chatted w them on the radio. He was amazed as to how the Newfound Circus behaves.
He refers to me as the winter resident due to me being there every year. I remember One year his wife hollered out to me fro their deck when I moved my house up, “welcome back!!”
Anyways, after our conversation, he invite my wife to use his drive way to park as it is a much shorter distance than driving across the lake to pick her up.
I invited them to have dinner w us some night out on the lake.

AWESOME!  :clap: :clap:

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:54 AM »
Saw one laker check out my bucktail at 63’ and that was it. We closed shop early as the slush was just getting deeper with the snow sucking it up. Filled up all the holes with snow with hopes it freezes before the rains come. Still cold out there, only 18 degrees or so.
As soon as we can we’ll bump the house to a better depth.
Seems as though Navionics screwed the pooch with the app I bought last year as the contours were all completely wrong. I updated to a new version and now the depth contours are accurate. I wish they would notify you when your app won’t work anymore...they got me for another $15 bucks til next season when they’ll probably be off again.  >:(

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:36 AM »
Saw one laker check out my bucktail at 63’ and that was it. We closed shop early as the slush was just getting deeper with the snow sucking it up. Filled up all the holes with snow with hopes it freezes before the rains come. Still cold out there, only 18 degrees or so.
As soon as we can we’ll bump the house to a better depth.
Seems as though Navionics screwed the pooch with the app I bought last year as the contours were all completely wrong. I updated to a new version and now the depth contours are accurate. I wish they would notify you when your app won’t work anymore...they got me for another $15 bucks til next season when they’ll probably be off again.  >:(

I think it’s 15 bones per year. Well worth it IMO.

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #100 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:49 AM »
Hey mowbizz, make sure you have your house jacked up, Honestly, i would probably jack my house onto 2 sets of 4x4 blocks. The first set will be underwater (if you got 3" of water that came up), then the next set will keep you above that so your runners don't freeze in. Make sure it's tied down tight.

Normally I would go out with a few folks tonight to check the conditions, houses etc etc....but with my argo down and sled in the shop and of course working in Londonderry, it will be difficult to do this evening. My plans for tonight are to cut my bait box out of the ice to free it up (get it floating again instead of being locked down in the ice). This will take me some time to do but its part of the process of ice fishing for me. I'll drill 4 holes in the corners and then ice saw from hole to hole. Then break off the ice chunks on the box to get it floating. Hoping to beat the rain tonight.

Good luck out there!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 23, 2019, 11:58 AM »
I think it’s 15 bones per year. Well worth it IMO.

Yes it is worth it but when you have a working app that’s giving false info that sucks!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Jan 23, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Hey mowbizz, make sure you have your house jacked up, Honestly, i would probably jack my house onto 2 sets of 4x4 blocks. The first set will be underwater (if you got 3" of water that came up), then the next set will keep you above that so your runners don't freeze in. Make sure it's tied down tight.

Normally I would go out with a few folks tonight to check the conditions, houses etc etc....but with my argo down and sled in the shop and of course working in Londonderry, it will be difficult to do this evening. My plans for tonight are to cut my bait box out of the ice to free it up (get it floating again instead of being locked down in the ice). This will take me some time to do but its part of the process of ice fishing for me. I'll drill 4 holes in the corners and then ice saw from hole to hole. Then break off the ice chunks on the box to get it floating. Hoping to beat the rain tonight.

Good luck out there!

Already came home so the 4x4s will have to do til we get out there again after the rains. If it’s iced in we’ll have to chop it out but I think the water line is still below the top of the 4 by 4. The snow sucking the water might help keep the level down.

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #103 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:40 PM »
Still working on the new shanty. Running wire hanging lights and fans. Still need to replace some inside panels. May cut in a bump out for the stove. Won't make it for this weekend. Have help coming Saturday, so maybe next weekend.

Mow, what depth are you targeting? I've had good vis down to 55 feet and a lot of Lakers.

Hope everyone stays high and dry!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Jan 23, 2019, 05:47 PM »
Still working on the new shanty. Running wire hanging lights and fans. Still need to replace some inside panels. May cut in a bump out for the stove. Won't make it for this weekend. Have help coming Saturday, so maybe next weekend.

Mow, what depth are you targeting? I've had good vis down to 55 feet and a lot of Lakers.

Hope everyone stays high and dry!

Hey Dragin
We usually try for 35-45 FOW but in our haste to get the shack moved before the snow storm we set it what appeared to be 33’ without checking but when we went this morning and dropped a camera down it just kept going down down down to 63’ and it was zero visibility without the LED lights on the cam. We fished for 2 hours and gave up the ghost with one laker seen...at least I think it was a laker!  ;D

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Jan 23, 2019, 08:03 PM »
This week seems to be about prepping for this coming weekend...
#1 ...propane auger has been nothing but a pain in the ass this season so got gas auger ready today..started like a champ..
#2...got bait tank in shed going so I don’t have to try and keep bait alive in 5 gallon buckets all weekend.
#3...fired up & registerd sled, all is good there
#4 ...shoveled off trailer, and loaded wheeler for bobhouse check tomorrow
#5...ordered & received new camera for the upcoming weekend, and hopefully get me through rest of season as my camera broke last weekend..
Thx mobizz for report...Maybe exposing all water and snow to air will freeze it up in this coming cold
#gettingoldforthis

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #106 on: Jan 24, 2019, 06:29 AM »
This week seems to be about prepping for this coming weekend...
#1 ...propane auger has been nothing but a pain in the ass this season so got gas auger ready today..started like a champ..
#2...got bait tank in shed going so I don’t have to try and keep bait alive in 5 gallon buckets all weekend.
#3...fired up & registerd sled, all is good there
#4 ...shoveled off trailer, and loaded wheeler for bobhouse check tomorrow
#5...ordered & received new camera for the upcoming weekend, and hopefully get me through rest of season as my camera broke last weekend..
Thx mobizz for report...Maybe exposing all water and snow to air will freeze it up in this coming cold
#gettingoldforthis

You’re welcome Tippin! The more info that gets posted here, the less people have to “wonder” what’s going on out there. We’ll be out after the rains tomorrow...

Offline tippin2back

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Jan 24, 2019, 07:57 PM »
Just got back from checking bobhouse
Me and lakertaker ventured out to the east side of the lake with our wheelers, boy there is a lot of water out there...put another 4x4 block, and a tie down stick underneath my house, and I’m still in water...wasn’t able to drive around lake, but every bobhouse we came up to skis were in the water...going to go back out and re-asses situation tomorrow may move, or  stay put and block up more....
#imtired

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Jan 24, 2019, 08:14 PM »
Thanks Tippin! Sounds like water world out there...be out at some point tomorrow to bounce our house if possible...

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #109 on: Jan 25, 2019, 04:39 AM »
Nice work guys. I got my argo put back together last night. Cut some more 4"x4" blocks. Will be out sometime tonight to make a decision as to what to do.

Fun, fun, fun.......

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #110 on: Jan 25, 2019, 07:00 AM »
Nice work guys. I got my argo put back together last night. Cut some more 4"x4" blocks. Will be out sometime tonight to make a decision as to what to do.

Fun, fun, fun.......
Good to hear you got your ice transportation back! Those tires don’t come cheap I hear...where did the tire blow out, on the sidewall or tread?

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #111 on: Jan 25, 2019, 02:56 PM »
What a mess out there! You break thru a crust with 3-4” of water underneath. We got the house moved to better bottom and jacked it up with double 4x4s to keep the runners out of the water. All set now but I don’t think this crap will firm up until we get some real cold...Water didn’t go down any of the anchor holes I drilled...weird.
Crap conditions for sure. It looks like the Wellington launch has started breaking up too...looked like a couple of holes on the left side. Have no idea how that would have happened...
Here’s what the ice looks like...

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #112 on: Jan 25, 2019, 03:43 PM »
aw man that looks like a s#%t show i hope it gets cold quick. Good luck out there
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline DRAGIN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • HERE FISHY. FISHY
« Reply #113 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:33 PM »
Water should drain down and set back-up. Long range forecast is for teens and twenty highs for the week. Hope everyone faired well. Still working on the new to me shanty. Got the lights and fan mounted and wired in tonight. Still shooting for a week from tomorrow.

Be safe and tight lines!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Jan 25, 2019, 05:37 PM »
Water should drain down and set back-up. Long range forecast is for teens and twenty highs for the week. Hope everyone faired well. Still working on the new to me shanty. Got the lights and fan mounted and wired in tonight. Still shooting for a week from tomorrow.

Be safe and tight lines!

I hope it drains off...nothing went down the anchor holes I drilled

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #115 on: Jan 25, 2019, 08:58 PM »
1/25

Wow!! Pretty rough out there tonight.
1/2” of ice on top and 14” -15” of water underneath. Breaking through w every step made walking and standing tough.
I have my house on four 4”x4” blocks on each corner. Not much above the water line.
Good work tonigh Psycho, Redfin, Tippin, Laker Taker, Texas Walker Ranger.

Mowbizz, I saw your video, you actually have it pretty good where your at compare to the other side.

I drilled four 4.5” holes around my house (far enough away though) and it was draining very slowly.

I plan to wait for either the ice to drain or freeze up enough to bump off my sag.

Mother Nature is not playing nice at the moment. Time to send Jack Frost in there.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Jan 26, 2019, 06:27 AM »
1/25

Wow!! Pretty rough out there tonight.
1/2” of ice on top and 14” -15” of water underneath. Breaking through w every step made walking and standing tough.
I have my house on four 4”x4” blocks on each corner. Not much above the water line.
Good work tonigh Psycho, Redfin, Tippin, Laker Taker, Texas Walker Ranger.

Mowbizz, I saw your video, you actually have it pretty good where your at compare to the other side.

I drilled four 4.5” holes around my house (far enough away though) and it was draining very slowly.

I plan to wait for either the ice to drain or freeze up enough to bump off my sag.

Mother Nature is not playing nice at the moment. Time to send Jack Frost in there.

Yikes! We do have it easy compared to where you are! Man oh man! Good luck and keep us posted!

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Jan 27, 2019, 01:27 PM »
Just got home. Wasn’t sure what to expect Friday going to the lake. Everyone was sounding alarm, with good reason. Came around the corner and she was sitting pretty good on the ice. Had the skis underwater so we jacked up to wait for morning to move. There was about 4-6” of water on top of the ice. We celebrated our good fortune.
Saturday morning we moved to drier ground. Thanks to the help from M&M and Bam. We even had a visit from “Newfie”. Slow fishing but everything was good. We ended up on 14” of ice.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Jan 27, 2019, 01:41 PM »
Glad everything turned out okay out there! Back to solid ice until next time I guess? Our house is up so high now that we’ll need to move it again just to be back to normal height.  Be out there during the week before the next blizzard!  :o
Seems as though I need to recuperate for a couple of days after each outing! Too much work to this lately...gettin old I guess... :-\

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Jan 27, 2019, 03:01 PM »
Seems as though I need to recuperate for a couple of days after each outing! Too much work to this lately...gettin old I guess... :-\
I hear you on that. Just told my wife I needed to go take a nap. Lol
More snow/rain Tuesday into Wednesday. Joy!!!!!☹️😡

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.