Author Topic: WHAT WOULD YOU DO  (Read 14037 times)

Offline BigRock947

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO
« Reply #150 on: Feb 19, 2012, 04:45 PM »
Thanks for the update...sounds like its going to be awesome when you are done getting everything together.

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #151 on: Feb 26, 2012, 09:28 AM »

Received a few calls over the last 3 days about the electric wheelchair conversion to an ATV   REPORTEDLY, going to be able to pick up the chair this week. There was some confusion on the part of the donor and I hope we have it straightened out finally. 

Stewart's been working with some engineers, in their local shop, to redesign the little (printed circuit board) box that controls the Aeroleg device for flying helicopters.   Those same guys helping with the redesign have offered to help him with the design/creation of conversion plates to accept 2x ATV tires on the wheelchair.

Hey Ducati, spoke with the Denver cycle shop folks and received a baseline quote from them on a ski chair... their's is simply a ski chair (not the mono-pod type you often see for downhill).  Stewart's convinced (from his own personal experiences) that the electric wheelchair with ATV wheels is the correct option to pursue.

The other day, he got the electric boom working; it's mounted in the back of his SUV off to the passenger side.  He tested it and was able to lift the new HT Enterprise Flip Over in and out as well as his jet sled (full array of gear inside it).

As far as the funds raised, He and I are working on obtaining a platform for his SUV to accept the electric wheelchair as well as 2x ATV tires.

Sorry for delay in posting  I literally have zero time available during the week; it's our busy season now until summer and then August thru October.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #152 on: Feb 26, 2012, 11:10 AM »
Just spoke with Stewart -

The group Stewart's now working with in the Springs is none other than THE TESLA INSTITUTE    the engineers there have offered to do the following for Stewart (at no charge to him as the project is similar to what MIT Labs is doing for disabilities community):

Convert the electric wheelchair to accept a number of add-on modules / options:   
       ATV Wheels  -
       Tracks          - think similar to Honda snowblower- they will use off the shelf parts
       Trailer Hitch Receiver -  pull fishing sled, tent, lawnmower attachment, etc

These same guys just rebuilt his Aeroleg master control box and made some excellent improvements

This is an amazing opportunity for those navigating life with disabilities
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #153 on: Feb 26, 2012, 03:20 PM »
You're looking for a Cargo carrier to hold the electric wheelchair on the back of the vehicle?
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #154 on: Feb 26, 2012, 04:35 PM »
You're looking for a Cargo carrier to hold the electric wheelchair on the back of the vehicle?

ubethca!   His wife has the mini-van with ramps   however, Stewart has the Ford SUV so for the electric chair he'd need the carrier
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #155 on: Feb 26, 2012, 05:53 PM »
 Something that he can drive up on to or just use the lift place it on?

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #156 on: Feb 27, 2012, 07:05 AM »
Something that he can drive up on to or just use the lift place it on?

I don't think it matters truthfully; since Stewart has the lift it eliminates the need for an electric/hydraulic drive-on

What do you have in mind?
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #157 on: Feb 27, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Well if he would want just a plain Jane one, depending on shipping costs, I could build a custom one at work. I've built 4 so far in various sizes. The one I built for myself has an internal dimension of 24" x 54"  overkill for deer, but great for an ice fishing sled or shack. My boss and buddy stood on it and bounced, there was about 530 lbs between them and it never bent or buckled

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #158 on: Feb 27, 2012, 12:51 PM »
Well if he would want just a plain Jane one, depending on shipping costs, I could build a custom one at work. I've built 4 so far in various sizes. The one I built for myself has an internal dimension of 24" x 54"  overkill for deer, but great for an ice fishing sled or shack. My boss and buddy stood on it and bounced, there was about 530 lbs between them and it never bent or buckled

Nice, really appreciate the offer
First let me check with The Feisty Brit for his take   I sent a link to him for one on Craigslist this morning 
It looks perfect for his needs and it's $200  http://cosprings.craigslist.org/hab/2871322448.html

not sure how soon he will respond so appreciate your patience
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #159 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:17 PM »
yeah, that one has a 350 lb weight rating to be aware of too

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #160 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:34 PM »

Received a call within the last hour that Stewart's electric wheelchair is being delivered to my home in the morning

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #161 on: Feb 27, 2012, 01:35 PM »
yeah, that one has a 350 lb weight rating to be aware of too

definitely, that point was included in my note to Stewart    if you don't mind check into costs to build/send and let me know
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #162 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:23 PM »
Civilian contractor to Fort Carson's Army Wounded Warrior Program delivered the electric wheelchair today - dead battery and all!  Glad to have it   Stewart was here at the same time    The gent from the Army advised there's 2x others there at his offices and he was going to ask if Stewart can have them as well to drop off at Tesla's engineering shop   They would be used for prototype models for tracks, atv wheels etc
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #163 on: Feb 28, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Will have to let me know base dimensions of the chair and if wants to drive up it or just host it

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #164 on: Feb 29, 2012, 07:51 AM »
Here's the chair for upcoming modifications:

Some of the Flies Stewart received recently from the efforts of a Shanty member and his daughter:
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #165 on: Feb 29, 2012, 08:01 AM »
Will have to let me know base dimensions of the chair and if wants to drive up it or just host it

Since it's an SUV mount  it will be a hoist scenario    Will have to let you know after the Tesla guys get the track version built  Not sure yet about timelines as they received the chair yesterday afternoon.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #166 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:18 AM »
10 - 4  will need to know some other dimensions as well once you guys get it back. Pretty sharp looking lures there!  :o

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #167 on: Feb 29, 2012, 10:58 PM »
Hey Guys:

You may recall I posted about writing to these folks (Whirlwind Wheelchair Group) who were teaming with MIT Labs on MIT's "Leveraged Freedom Chair"  Whirlwind also makes an off road chair, hence the reason I wrote to them!

The initial response from the Whirlwind group was that they were not ready for America.  As their note below shows - the idea, I presented to them, of helping USA disabled vets struck a note within one or more person on their teams.  Read more....

FINALLY, another BREAKTHROUGH starting to happen!

I just received an offer to send Stewart an off road wheelchair from the nonprofit foundation (whirlwindwheelchair) from SFO   Their off road wheelchair product is referred to as the "roughrider"   

They are partners with MIT Labs, they receive large grants from the Feds, the Mormon Church previously poured much money to independently fund wheelchair donations worldwide; that's no longer the case as  they instead send 100% of their donations to this nonprofit due to their effectiveness.

"Whirlwindwheelchair" has become a voice and a worldwide influence on wheelchair manufacturing in order to most accurately fulfill the needs of those disabled:  www.whirlwindwheelchai r.org 

They are a highly effective nonprofit that has literally changed the world of the disabled through their evolutionary ideas of: using off the shelf parts(not specialized chairs that once broken are discarded) and by planting, staffing, training personnel in repair facilities wherever chairs are sent frequently.

Here's an excerpt from the email I received this evening:
    Steven,
Good news.  It looks like we'll have RoughRiders available really soon.  I'm in Indonesia and it seems like the factory has the kinks worked out so we can start shipping.  In part due to your idea, we've had the idea of donating some RRs to disabled vets.  Could you look at the draft of the message below and consider asking your friend...?

Another section of the letter of invitation for Stewart to receive a chair included mention they will now be working towards a partnership with the Veterans Administration - RIGHT ON, you just never know what your small letter can do in the hands of those with a little wit and willpower!

Looks like it's either a 100% donation to the vets (100 Chairs total in USA)   Or it could end up a highly reduced cost if the recipient is interested in keeping it at end of trails.  These reportedly cost approx. $300 in parts.  I am of course suggesting to them they create / include a small front ski option for North America.  If they are unable to do so, then once Stewart obtains a chair we can take it down the road to The Tesla Institute engineers and ask them to fab something for The Feisty Brit!

Since we have not spent a penny of your donations yet, if Whirlwind requests a donation (at end of trials) Stewart's fine with using the donated funds to support this worthy cause!  I'm doing my best guys to make lemonade out of lemons handed to us in the previous encounter with an off road chair.

That's all for now   

Steven
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #168 on: Mar 01, 2012, 10:37 AM »
Great news!

So what exactly is the plan? It seems like there are a couple things going on, the Whirlwind chair and the motorized chair from the Tesla guys. From what I gather Stewart is going to be one of the people who test the Whirlwind chair and at the end of testing he will either get to keep it for free or purchase it at a highly reduced price...is this correct? Also, the motorized chair is the much more expensive and ambitious project which is going to be tackled by the Tesla guys IF we can find a way to cover the cost or is it all free? Finally, will he end up with two amazing chairs at the end of this project?

Can't wait to hear some more progress!

Thanks for organizing and executing all of this!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #169 on: Mar 01, 2012, 11:15 AM »
Great news!

So what exactly is the plan?

I'll back up a few steps first DROCK, Stewart is a member of nonprofit foundation that helps veterans and vet pilots at the Air Force Academy and other ventures.  The principle founder remains a pilot with a major airline company today... he's also a veteran.

Through this foundation, Tesla will be a participant with the technology advancements they create at far more affordable costs than FOR-PROFIT chair companies.  Whirlwind itself is yet another shining example of a nonprofit organization changing lives more affordably  The group I attempted to work with previously, on Stewart's behalf, was a for-profit and in my opinion the outcome reflected the same (U Can Take It Or Leave It When I Get To It mindset).

You nailed it brother -   
  >Tesla's modifying the electric for Stewart @ N/C  They asked for royalties from future kits sold 
     NOTE: Stewart won't make a dime from it, he's in it solely for affordable advancements for others

> Whirlwind's providing a chair for him to demo and they'd like him to write a piece in their
     newsletter.  Not sure YET if it's "free" or "fee" (albeit reduced from $799   if you recall, $799
     is a BOGO / buy one, give one scenario - you pay $799 and one is given away simultaneously)
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #170 on: Mar 02, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Here's the latest in closing out this week:

volunteered to work with wounded warrior program in Montana - disabled vets fly fishing  ;D

asked my company to become a sponsor for the WW program in Montana  ;D ;D

registered WW program to receive a $4,000 matching grant from my employer  ;D ;D ;D

received confirmation from WW Program they will accept hand tied or store bought flies, lures, etc  donations from my shanty friends  ;D ;D ;D ;D

signed up a friend who's a former US AF Pilot, current United Pilot, certified glider pilot to help vets
  with the glider program at the Air Force Academy  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Heard back from Stewart, he signed up, as expected for the Whirlwind wheelchair demo program  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

wonder what we can accomplish next week.... :roflmao:

Love to hear your ideas rolling around upstairs :blink:
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #171 on: Mar 03, 2012, 02:32 PM »
STEVEN for PRESIDENT!!!?
really from where this started to where YOU have pushed to take it,is really a remarkable feat. you deserve a huge pat on the back.
if you ever get close to NE Ohio,I'd be honored to buy your dinner!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #172 on: Mar 03, 2012, 04:27 PM »

Hey Brother - Thank God it's not about me & let's not forget LOL you only get to see my version of the story ;D
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #173 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:01 PM »
Yeah, in reality he's actually holding people at gun point and making demands ;) haha

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #174 on: Mar 03, 2012, 11:08 PM »
Yeah, in reality he's actually holding people at gun point and making demands ;) haha
WITH GREAT RESULTS  HAHA!!    dinner offer wasn't meant to divert attention-but to keep your energy level up!! ;D ;D ;D

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #175 on: Mar 04, 2012, 01:05 AM »
Great reasons for us not posting self portraits - I mean, how many people enjoy the image of a one-eyed dog in a butcher shop

And where'd the leak develop about my fascination with my favorite colors - gun metal & gun smoke  :woot:
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #176 on: Mar 04, 2012, 01:22 AM »

SUHWEET - Thanks a mi$$ion, but did I ever tell you humidity is my kryptonite; I'd rather have you buy us dinner in Colorado... I got out of the midwest as fast as I could in '04 after 43 years of it   Stick a fork in it, I was well done... 
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #177 on: Mar 11, 2012, 10:48 PM »
Stewart and I reunited, despite my work schedule, to hit up a reservoir yesterday.  It was challenging for awhile because the bite was not happening and that man MUST CATCH FISH or else ain't nobody gonna be happy!

I left my tent in place and popped some holes and sat outside before hitting the motherlode of stocker aka "stalker" trout.  Hit upon what would be considered a honey hole for kids (and my good friend Stewart who gets bored easy). Although his quest is a 3+ lb trout, he settled for second best - a swarm of feeding frenzied trout.  Stewart landed over 30+ himself as the fish couldn't resist a fly that was donated to Stewart and myself through a fellow shanty member and his daughter - you know who you are Otis!

I pulled out over 150x trout in a 4 hour span - could've caught more except I hate to admit I was getting seriously bored with the "kiddies" and hearing Stewart advise another LARGE trout just cruised by.  Unfortunately, they were going North to South and not West to East(my direction). 

It just so happened a tournament was occurring all around us (we had no clue upon arriving @ 4.30am UNTIL we saw the long line of guys at the marina trailer).   The largest fish caught - 21lb Northern  datsa big gator!  Kind of comical yet  crazy moment - tournament fisherman weren't allowed to open holes before 7am  Come 7am you would have thought Nostradamus' predictions were true and the world was coming to an end in 2012 - all thanks to and at the hand of ice fishermen's auger engines  OMG  The fish all ran for the hills and wouldn't bite for the next 30 mins after the whir of 100+ engines stopped!

Here's Stewart in his new tent donated by HT Enterprises-

His chair gives him away, on the ice, every time...

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline DRock

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #178 on: Dec 13, 2012, 08:49 PM »
Any updates on this?

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #179 on: Dec 13, 2012, 09:35 PM »
I had been wondering this myself