Author Topic: WHAT WOULD YOU DO  (Read 14036 times)

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
Re: WHAT WOULD YOU DO
« Reply #120 on: Feb 03, 2012, 06:44 PM »
Here's my reply to Tom on 2/1:

" Thanks for the update Tom and I am sorry to hear of the challenges you are now experiencing.  I know in my heart
 you're a good man dealing with many things.   I continue to strongly believe in what we are trying to accomplish
 together.

Canceling it is not an option right now as it would be a let down to you, myself, the donors, and Stewart.  It has been a
 trial waiting all of this time, but I do remain focused on getting this chair in Stewart's hands.

Please, remain focused as you are towards resolution and stay the course; be encouraged that this will work out soon.

Do not hesitate to pick up the phone and chat.   I have not done so as I know you are under pressure with health and
 business challenges.

One last thought, is there an alternative to ship with the shorter skis or will the longer skis be a true benefit to Stewart's
 mobility on ice and snow?

God bless,
 Steven   719.494.1928  Mobile  MT Zone

PS  Send me any pics that you have so I can post one of them and advise of the materials challenge and hopefully near
  term fix - that will help my credibility a great deal
"
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #121 on: Feb 03, 2012, 07:44 PM »
Hey Guys - I am believing that Tom receives the right parts tomorrow and gets this thing out the door this Monday,
                  but I obviously have no control over the matter

Concerning the donations made:
  In anticipation of Tom being done tomorrow I just deposited the checks and cash donations
  As for the paypal donations, they remain in the Paypal account / have not been moved to my bank account.

On a VERY positive note:
  I was referred by an Air Force contact (who heard about what's happening on Stewart's behalf) to a contact out
  at Fort Carson(here in the Springs) - this gent has 3x motorized/electric wheelchairs and has been hoping to help
  a vet / give them to a good home.  I advised about Stewart's needs and he wants to present one of the chairs
  (himself) to Stewart at the same time as the sports wheelchair presentation.   

C'mon Tom!  We're counting on you brother!!!

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #122 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:21 PM »
Nothing worth having ever came easy. Just makes it that much sweeter when it all comes together
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #123 on: Feb 03, 2012, 09:51 PM »
Nothing worth having ever came easy. Just makes it that much sweeter when it all comes together

Dude, you are a voice of reason!     I'm just trying to keep the faith here....
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #124 on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:42 PM »
Went out on Monument Lake today with Stewart  Two feet of snow in the last 36 hours   Underneath all of that was 6" of slush.  What a challenge getting him on / off the ice today.

Met his wife for the first time, she was very patient / waited around for him the entire day reading books in their SUV.  LOL, she gave the hubby marching orders - he HAD TO COME OFF THE ICE WITH FISH  or else....  very funny moment

Sent Tom Hernon @ Back2Sports another email requesting status in the next 24 hours  He continues to neither return my calls or emails.  If this continues much longer then it's obvious to me he does not wish to fulfill his commitment.  In which event, each donor will receive a full refund and I will file a complaint with the BBB of Grand Rapids, Mi.  I did check their site for his company and they have no present complaints about his organization.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #125 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:49 PM »
pullin' for ya brother!!

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #126 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:31 AM »
Looks kinda complicated with that front wheel. If the handle bar was gone, front was locked straight forward. Could modify a ski and put on there

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #127 on: Feb 05, 2012, 08:12 AM »
Began initiative of finding alternate funding sources(outside of ice shanty) in order to acquire an alternative(albeit more expensive) unit.  Will also discuss with the following:  #1 Denver VA, #2 Wounded Warrior Project to become familiar with what assistance each might provide.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #128 on: Feb 05, 2012, 12:40 PM »
I started looking online last night at different chairs. I thought about picking up a cheap one and modifying it at work in my spare time as I work in a metal fab shop

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #129 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:15 PM »
 This could be a heck of a start!  The Amos Winter wheelchair
http://mlab.mit.edu/lfc/Chair.html

Offline Lac Suel Freak

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "A few in a bucket makes it easy to sit on yours"
« Reply #130 on: Feb 05, 2012, 01:27 PM »
I would wait on the original guy. He did say Monday right? He may be out of town hosting Superbowl party or whatever. I don't know but it seems that he really wants to help and also has a quality product in comparrison to other options. He may not be returning your call because he doesn't want to dissapoint (no excuse but we all know people like that and it doesnt take from them being genuine or the efforts they put forward). I say give him the rope he needs and let him hang himself if need be. He seems like a good guy in the same position as your friend. Give him another shot to redeem himself. ;D ;)

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Feb 05, 2012, 02:30 PM »
i agree with lac. why get antsy towards the end of a good cause. give him a couple days then see whats up. makes no sense to jump ship to another idea when the one in place seems so good. seems everyones in a big hurry except the man who needs it.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #132 on: Feb 05, 2012, 05:00 PM »
The man who needs it doesn't know about it haha

Offline chillinNgillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #133 on: Feb 05, 2012, 06:06 PM »
I agree with lac too, could be on a road trip getting the right material himself. Who knows? Sounds like a man that would like to see this happen too.(Hopefully)

Offline killa1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Feb 05, 2012, 07:21 PM »
and he is in no hurry

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #135 on: Feb 05, 2012, 10:13 PM »
This could be a heck of a start!  The Amos Winter wheelchair
http://mlab.mit.edu/lfc/Chair.html

Thanks for refraining from an opinion about what I c/w/shoulda do/done and instead you are taking action - ADMIRABLE
Because of continued/nonstop action -  Stewart has the following at no cost to himself:

Factory Refurbished Lithium Ion Industrial Cordless-drill    $200
   New Auger                                                                        $ 50
   New Poles(multiple)                                                          $150
   New Jigs                                                                           $ 40
   New Ice Skimmer(multiple)                                               $ 30
   New Gaff                                                                           $ 15
   Used/like new Electric Wheelchair                                     $4,000+
   Heavily discounted (new) Fishing Electronics                      $150
   A good friend                                                                   PRICELESS
       (who injured his knee yesterday pulling his 175lb paraplegic friend on/across/off the ice and up a hill)

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #136 on: Feb 06, 2012, 02:46 PM »
Over the course of MANY fishing trips with Stewart, this is what I've experienced:

#1   Front wheels of wheel chairs get caught in snow, on ridges, and also in slush
         Here's a brief example of one person's resistance experienced:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzzGb44siXQ

1A) Potential Solution - - modify front wheels to be small ski-like castors (solid block of metal-flat bottom 45 deg
                  angle on front edge)   This does not resolve traversing inclines and/or declines

#2   When the front wheels get caught up, the operator lifts up the front end and reverts balancing on rear two wheels
          This also takes a lot of energy and does not solve all problems  I've witnessed Stewart becoming exhausted from
          such efforts as well as frozen hands from grappling with the wheels to balance himself on 2 of the 4
          All the while he has a jet sled full of gear attached to his seat = added resistance to move forward

#3  He absolutely cannot traverse inclines, deep snow, thick slush  For inclines, regardless of ground surface condition
        he slides himself along while dragging the jet sled, wheel chair, etc  On Saturday, he arrived before me and was
        lifting/scooting himself along on a 5gal bucket while shoveling ahead of himself.  He did this for approx. 150 yards
        before I could get out to him

This is what Stewart truly needs and this is my personal mission(offline/nothing to do with Shanty) http://tankchair.net/   
These chairs were built by a man approx. 25 miles north of my home.  I plan to visit with the builder near-term
This unit has the highest clearance and best safety & operator arrangement for the person (of the two known options)
Reportedly $18K

Alternatively, there's another company out of Minnesota that offers similar - The Action Trackchair
This unit appears to only have 3-4" of clearance, it does not have a 5-Pt strap chair

Reportedly $10K'ish    you have to request a quote
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #137 on: Feb 06, 2012, 05:06 PM »
I'm sorry to announce to all the termination of our project together with the current vendor. This is due to encountering consistently troubling vendor experiences over time and the lack of offerings for secure methods of payment.  In my opinion, good faith on the part of the vendor has not been established and I am therefore unable to continue and hereby terminate the project.

I remain 1000% committed to continue on the path of pursuing a modality of outdoors transportation for my friend Stewart. 

OVERVIEW
No written contract between us; ever
No monies or bank account info exchanged; ever
No longer receiving returned email or phone calls from the vendor
Discovery of Mid-2010 BBB complaint - BBB site reports no response provided by vendor

FORTHCOMING ACTIONS
>Notifying all donors of the situation and offer of FULL refund due:
     CHECK DONORS:  Receive full refund via personal check or setup Paypal & get immediate refund
    PAYPAL DONORS:  Receive an immediate full refund via Paypal
          OPTIONALLY:  Choose to remain engaged
                                        Leave funds on account to be applied to the new option
                                        Receive full refund, but remain engaged for new project & contribute at appropriate time

WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE -  PLZ REFRAIN FROM PUBLICIZING OPINIONS AND/OR NEGATIVE COMMENTS

Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #138 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:08 AM »
THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE AND CONTINUED SUPPORT.   99.999  99% of current participants remain committed (as I am) to get something done.   

Buck1985 found the Amos Winter Chair - it's in development by MIT Labs and some other foundations have also been involved as a World version is now in development.  The cost for materials and labor is reportedly $300.   I reach out to MIT Labs in hopes of signing up Stewart for trials / acquisition of a chair and his exposure to other disabled vets.

Additionally, as mentioned I am pursuing other avenues as well

Your continued support is very helpful to me and to progress overall

Thx God Bless
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #139 on: Feb 07, 2012, 12:21 AM »
   We will get something figured out somehow. Just gotta keep heads up and ideas flowing. Keep up the great work!

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #140 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:19 AM »

“What lies behind us and

what lies before us

are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

| Ralph Waldo Emerson
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #141 on: Feb 08, 2012, 08:52 AM »
http://www.whirlwindwheelchair.org/roughrider/

They have a BOGO (Buy One Give One) program, you buy one @ $799 and they in turn give one to a 3rd world company

I signed up Stewart for their USA trial   If accepted, we will work with them to adapt similar front skis as the renegade and other chairs have  http://www.alphaonenow.org/photos/89skis.gif
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #142 on: Feb 09, 2012, 10:02 AM »
FINALLY found the email address for Amos Winter - MIT's PhD - and inventor of the Leveraged Freedom Chair
             (cost is $350 to build from STANDARD BICYCLE PARTS)

The chair is similar to the Renegade chair except its all off the shelf parts PLUS depending on where you grip the propulsion poles, the force is applied differently - increased or decreased propulsion is applied.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=FvPMgN00qh4

The inventor is now living abroad in India and is actually all over the world from what I gather from researching his background and the extensive CV he has posted online (yikes, young genius). Hope to hear back from him soon.

I am focused on running a few (NOT MANY) different key paths to get this done
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #143 on: Feb 09, 2012, 11:37 AM »
Hopefully you hear back about this, seems like a very good step in the right direction

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #144 on: Feb 10, 2012, 10:11 PM »
Stewart and I fished together this afternoon   Broke the news to him about the wheelchair   He feels relieved we did not get the chair out of Michigan based upon the description of our dealings.  He has had similar experiences in the past and does not feel it's worth getting into.   

So, he and I will work in my garage and barn tomorrow to get some things done as traversing the lake is extremely hard for him now. The melt beneath the nearly 2' of snow that fell last week is a real problem for him in the wheelchair 

Before I got there, he had lifted his person/the chair (while sitting in the wheel chair) and then lurched forward in an attempt to shuffle himself across the lake.  On the way off the ice, he began to do the same and  I couldn't standby and watch so pretty much told him what was going to happen next - he gets in his jet sled and I pull him back to the truck and then return for my gear.  He was tired out already and just gave in - smart Brit.

HT Enterprises once again came thru big time and provided Stewart with the tent he's beeng longing for.  It's a flip over!
With all of the gear he's amassed (mostly from HT (GREAT GUYS)), he will have a hard time getting it into the back of his expedition. So on Saturday we're going to install the lift in the back of his Ford Expedition   

Additionally, we'll be working on skis / front runners where the wheel casters go.  Going to connect with a friend and make him a wheel for the front of the wheel chair (similar to The Freedom Wheel).  Stewart did the same for the young man in Indianapolis a week ago or so.  Once an engineer always an engineer I guess - he went to the local Amish Blacksmith and gave the nice gent a vision - Stewart and the clever craftsman made it happen for the young man / his new paraplegic friend back there.  Great stuff    That same young man will be here in Denver during Mid-February at Rocky Mountain Helicopter School - turns out the FAA in Southern Indiana couldn't grasp the safety of Stewart's Aeroleg invention and would not allow this young man to be trained with it in their back yard...
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #145 on: Feb 11, 2012, 08:29 AM »
The folks @ MIT Labs responded regarding the Leveraged Freedom Chair - it's reportedly all about third world countries right now - so nothing for USA just yet.

As mentioned, I also wrote directly to Amos Winter, the inventor.  Hope he has a more positive outlook than his bright, but presently uncooperative colleagues.
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #146 on: Feb 11, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Um yeah, that's kinda messed up. But you see that a lot, the U.S. helps others before out helps their own

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #147 on: Feb 11, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Um yeah, that's kinda messed up. But you see that a lot, the U.S. helps others before out helps their own

Yep, in times past others overseas were hurting for more than within these borders; we've eclipsed that thanks to greed witnessed thru this latest transfer of wealth  errr, I mean hard economic times
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #148 on: Feb 13, 2012, 05:20 PM »
Submitted an application for funding (in the amount of $18K) towards the purchase of a track wheel chair for Stewart

My request for assistance was submitted to a consortium of businessmen who donate, monthly, a portion of their profits towards the following people groups:  Disabilities, Orphans, Widows

Monthly, the many requests are sorted through and one request is designated for immediate or phased funding in the agreed upon amount

Last month, they provided $1,000 gift cards to mult. daughters in a family who have never had new clothes in their lives (and they are now teenagers).  They were taken to the store with a bullseye for a logo and their first comments were heard -   we've never been in such a high end store like this before, wow!

They each were assisted with buying clothing and while doing so, they eachinterchangeably wept, giggled, and laughed

Little Girls being blessed, having fun, and giggling PRICELESS
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #149 on: Feb 19, 2012, 12:34 PM »
sorry for the hiatus guys....my day job has been more than hectic

Haven't been out on the ice much due to work and banging up the right knee the last time I pulled Stewart on/off the ice

Stewart himself is kind of bummed lately as I've not been around to help him access the ice.  So too, he's been busy with the civilian air patrol at the Air Force Academy.  His boss wants Stewart to accept another promotion - this time to Lt. Col of the C.A.P.   The feisty Brit keeps reminding the big guy that he's retired for a reason....

Haven't heard back on any of the many fronts I've been working on.  With me & Stewart busy there's been no progress made on getting the hoist fitted in the back of his SUV.  Will be in touch with the Fort Carson contact this week to get Stewart's electric wheelchair.

That's it for now
Owe No Man Anything...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.