Author Topic: Eskimo HC40 vs. Jiffy propane auger  (Read 3390 times)

Offline Skunkd Again

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo HC40 vs. Jiffy propane auger
« on: Dec 17, 2017, 12:29 AM »
I'd like to purchase a new propane auger and was wondering between the 2 which is the more preferred.  What's the pros and cons of each?  What are your experiences with either one?  Thanks.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
Re: Eskimo HC40 vs. Jiffy propane auger
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2017, 05:43 AM »
Only have used the Jiffy. Only con I have with the unit is you have to make sure you set it down with the right side up. There is a sticker that says this side up. If you don’t it leaks oil. Other than that I love it!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline dubob

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Life is good!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:02 AM »
I'd like to purchase a new propane auger and was wondering between the 2 which is the more preferred.  What's the pros and cons of each?  What are your experiences with either one?  Thanks.
I would not recommend either one.  Petroleum fueled augers are a royal PITA.  For less money ($389), you can buy a really good auger (http://www.nilsmaster.com/website2016_010.htm - $150 for a 6" w/ free shipping) and a strong electric drill that will last through 60 or more holes a day (Factory Reconditioned Milwaukee 2704-82 FUEL M18 18V 5.0 Ah Cordless Lithium-Ion 1/2 in. Hammer Drill Driver Kit - $239 w/ free shipping.  And for $439, you could even move up to a better auger (K-Drill 6").  With the K-drill, you can drill any size hole you want due to its design features.  Best auger I've owned so far and I've owned three gas augers, a NILS Cordless and now the K-Drill.  And a K-drill or NILS/Milwaukee combo weighs a lot less than either of those propane augers.
:thumbsup:
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I’m 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
“Free men don't ask permission to bear arms.” ― Glen Aldrich
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don’t mind.” ― Dr. Seuss

Offline muskyon46

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Wishin I was Fishin><{}:>
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:02 AM »
Welcome to the shanty skunkd again, any relation to bftskunkedagain? Wish I had something to offer but have only owned a gas strikemaster mag2000 which I sold this year after using it for 16+ years and upgraded to a Nils 8in convertible /milwaukee combo. Love it and will never go back
     Wyoming & Idaho    

Offline Hutbomber

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2017, 11:59 AM »
 x2 what Bob & musky say. I went gasless a few years ago and no way i'd EVER go back.
I hope i'm half as good as my Dogs think i am ;-)

Offline PACKFAN-UT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired AF,Nam Vet, VFW life member, Wis. Native
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Bought my Jiffy propane last year and love it.

Offline IrishnId

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2017, 09:49 PM »
I know it wasn't one of your options, but I ditched gas 3 years ago for an ION auger, and will never go back to a fueled motor. I always end up drilling everybody's holes. Just easier than priming, choking, and pulling I guess. Good luck this year.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2017, 03:58 PM »
Can't speak to Jiffy as I have never used one...my Eskimo 8" is 3yrs old and has been flawless. My Eskimo 10" is 20+ yrs old (got it from my father in law) and it still runs fantastic. Note these are both gas powered, not propane.

BUT...all that said....after using Musky's drill powered nils at Henry's this year, I now understand the hype behind the movement towards non-gas these past few years. So much lighter!

I'm changing my setup now and going with the k-drill like Dubob notes in this thread...should arrive this Thurs.

If you want a good deal on my Eskimo 8" let me know.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline BFTSkunkedAgain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2017, 04:36 PM »
I'm with the crews recommendation, forget the fuelers and go with electric... I just bought a 10" eskimo and it runs flawlessly, but Musky talked me into a Nils last year and been kicking my butt ever since that I had bought the gas auger... They are heavy, noisy and you have to baby them... The electric is simple easy, quiet and all you have to do is charge the batteries... Only went onto my second battery one time and that was thick spring ice and lots of holes that day... If you don't want to regret it later go directly to electric... Later J

Offline Geezer_

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • friends with the same mental disorder....priceless
« Reply #9 on: Dec 20, 2017, 07:33 AM »
I switched to a Jiffy propane two years ago and love it . Prefer it over the gas and the Clam plate I ran in the past. The electrics are lighter but I don’t have to worry about keeping the battery charged . However if I had the set up that Prospector runs I might change my mindl lol.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.