New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373318 times)

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #990 on: Nov 15, 2012, 06:30 AM »
I can/will second that.  It's nice to "dream" tho  @)   That week a XMAS is usually my target, but I will take what ever Mother Nature sends along.  Used to work on a dairy farm and can remember one year the ground was "WET" and it froze so solid, we could not get the plows to cut in the week before XMAS.  There's always a chance for early ice and Mother Nature can make things change in the "blink of an eye".
Thats the kind of positive thinking we need  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #991 on: Nov 15, 2012, 08:32 AM »
Thats the kind of positive thinking we need  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Eddie - you ready for some "good" ice?  Just a 2 hour drive.  I'm getting my stuff in order soon.

Offline tatoice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #992 on: Nov 18, 2012, 07:28 AM »
I know its early but does anyone know if there is any ice on tupper lake yet?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #993 on: Nov 18, 2012, 10:04 AM »
no way lol..

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #994 on: Nov 18, 2012, 03:36 PM »
i hope this winter is like 2002/2003 with good early ice,iwas on the ice in late nov.
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #995 on: Nov 19, 2012, 06:41 AM »
Eddie - you ready for some "good" ice?  Just a 2 hour drive.  I'm getting my stuff in order soon.
I'm ready Phil  ;)

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #996 on: Nov 19, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Ice on all the ponds around me every morning, extended forecast looks like a decent cold snap the first to second week of december, maybe with the low water conditions and lack of rain, the water will be stable enough to freeze quickly.  Till then looks like the boat will not get put away just yet.

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #997 on: Nov 20, 2012, 09:19 AM »
3rd week in Dec...Ill bet on it!
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #998 on: Nov 20, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Boat is already shrunk so I'm thinking about taking the kayak tomorrow to LOTI.  Do a little "scouting" if I can get out.  This is what you can bet I'm saying tonight... "Please, honey!  I'll go shopping with you on Friday if I can fish tomorrow!"  Hopefully it won't get to that point though!

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #999 on: Nov 20, 2012, 03:38 PM »
Boat is already shrunk so I'm thinking about taking the kayak tomorrow to LOTI.  Do a little "scouting" if I can get out.  This is what you can bet I'm saying tonight... "Please, honey!  I'll go shopping with you on Friday if I can fish tomorrow!"  Hopefully it won't get to that point though!

I already got clearance for tomorrow, Thurs. morning and Fri morning (dinner at our house) to go chase fish.....but I have been having withdrawals for two months while waiting for a new lower unit.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #1000 on: Nov 20, 2012, 05:43 PM »
I already got clearance for tomorrow, Thurs. morning and Fri morning (dinner at our house) to go chase fish.....but I have been having withdrawals for two months while waiting for a new lower unit.

You, sir, need to give me lessons!!!!  ;D.  The main concern is what if I flip I'll freeze.  Well, looks like my scouting trip is a bust. I do have two kayaks though!

Offline Mr.Esox

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Keep it hard
« Reply #1001 on: Nov 20, 2012, 06:26 PM »
2nd wk of Dec. bet the bank.
Mr.Esox

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1002 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:45 PM »
my brother briefly stould on a beaver pond early this morning! Starting to get cold.

Offline Goatskin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1003 on: Nov 20, 2012, 08:47 PM »
Thats gotta be some solid ice for the big man to stand on.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1004 on: Nov 21, 2012, 06:11 AM »
Thats gotta be some solid ice for the big man to stand on.

Yeah atleast 1-2" !

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1005 on: Nov 21, 2012, 06:12 AM »
Btw Gyle, you pocket dialed me the other day. I was yelling and tellin but you never noticed.

Offline Eaglecrg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1006 on: Nov 21, 2012, 06:34 AM »
I drove down Rt 30 yesterday and Lake Durant was about 90% covered with skim ice.  One really good cold snap ought to do the trick.  Forecast is for warm days though, not good for ice.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1007 on: Nov 21, 2012, 07:17 AM »
we usually hit lake champlain every year for a pike fishing trip, i think we are going to switch it up and maybe try NY any recommendations? maybe evena guide service that rents shantys or something like that
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #1008 on: Nov 21, 2012, 07:26 AM »
I drove down Rt 30 yesterday and Lake Durant was about 90% covered with skim ice.  One really good cold snap ought to do the trick.  Forecast is for warm days though, not good for ice.

I'm loading my stuff right now  ;D

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #1009 on: Nov 22, 2012, 11:44 AM »
Was in saranac yesterday for work, all the smaller ponds stayed mostly locked up straight through the day and still were when the sun was goin down. And it got cooold. SO I know those ponds had some nice ice.Today wrecked that though.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1010 on: Nov 27, 2012, 09:40 AM »
Well finally put the boat away, shot my deer for the year, and now I patiently wait for ice. It was cold last night, hopefully this waiting game is over far sooner than last year...

Got the day off today so I was going to play around and smoke some northern along with some venison for some surf and turf dinner. Any of you Northern NY fisherman try smoking northern? 

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1011 on: Nov 27, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Well finally put the boat away, shot my deer for the year, and now I patiently wait for ice. It was cold last night, hopefully this waiting game is over far sooner than last year...
Got the day off today so I was going to play around and smoke some northern along with some venison for some surf and turf dinner. Any of you Northern NY fisherman try smoking northern?

AMEN to sooner rather than later where the ice is concerned.
Yep - I smoked some N.Pike last winter on my outdoor, charcoal fired, smoker.  Good stuff but I still like "fried fish" -  ;D
Also tried, and liked, a recipe from on this site for microwaved fish.  Place small pieces, one layer, in a glass baking dish, sprinkle with melted butter, salt, pepper and hot sauce (or whatever seasonings suite your taste) - cover with clear wrap and microwave for 3 - 5 minutes (depending on thickness of pieces).  Thin pieces for short time seems to work better for me.
Won't be long for some of the smaller lakes around here now.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1012 on: Nov 27, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Never tried it in the microwave...and your right nothing tastes better than those black lake blue gills and crappies fried up right....

Hoping to get out to lake of the isles this year for some perch and gills. Spent ALOT of time on black lake last year and would like to try more locations this winter. Red Lake is a must and butterfield is always a plus if you can drive on. Got caught up in the crappies last year on black and never made it elsewhere. OH well...cheers to the new season and new goals.

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #1013 on: Nov 27, 2012, 03:45 PM »
Hey guys chamount bay is definitely on the hit list this year when we get some good ice. It's been about 5 years since I have fished there so hoping to make it up a couple times for some monster eyes I know that are in there. Good luck to all and look forward to talking with u :thumbsup:

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #1014 on: Nov 28, 2012, 06:15 AM »
Anyone up that way know if the boat launch at Coles Creek State Park (near Waddington) on the St. Lawrence is accessible this time of year?
Thanks. I know it's an ice fishing forum but I thought I'd plop the boat in and spend some time checking depths and structure in anticipation of the coming ice season.
Thanks again.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #1015 on: Nov 28, 2012, 09:53 AM »
Also tried, and liked, a recipe from on this site for microwaved fish.  Place small pieces, one layer, in a glass baking dish, sprinkle with melted butter, salt, pepper and hot sauce (or whatever seasonings suite your taste) - cover with clear wrap and microwave for 3 - 5 minutes

Glass baking dish???  I can barely fill a small saucer plate! 
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #1016 on: Nov 28, 2012, 10:09 AM »
Getting closer by the day - must be some ice out there if there is snow on top.

Offline EvanW86

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fresh hardwater fish. the best
« Reply #1017 on: Nov 28, 2012, 10:55 AM »
Getting closer by the day - must be some ice out there if there is snow on top.
(Image removed from quote.)
ok im really jonesing now
Just another day on the ice!!!

JBO112394

« Reply #1018 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:36 PM »
Anybody know if there has been any progress over the last few days on the ice at Durant?  :tipup:

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #1019 on: Nov 28, 2012, 02:31 PM »

That looks really nice Phil  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.