New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373289 times)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #870 on: Feb 15, 2012, 04:01 PM »
Replica mounts look great, but I can tell you guys one thing, they are going to cost more. They are very popular in the musky community since most guys practice 100% CPR on muskies... (most guys... Some still don't)

Very very pricey, but in my opinion the best replica guys in the USA are Rick Lax and Joe Fitante, google them you will see there websites.

Offline PlumberFishin5

• IceShanty Rookie
  • OOoooo you know.
« Reply #871 on: Feb 15, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Anybody got any info on yellow lake outside of OXBOW? talked to the dec about it befor said they wer gonna work on easyer acsses to the lake. just wondering if anyone from our area has been there this year? it was last season i talked to them just wonderin if anything was changed. :tipup:
You Gotta Hook A Fish To Catch A Fish!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #872 on: Feb 15, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Anybody got any info on yellow lake outside of OXBOW? talked to the dec about it befor said they wer gonna work on easyer acsses to the lake. just wondering if anyone from our area has been there this year? it was last season i talked to them just wonderin if anything was changed. :tipup:
Havent been out there, but read some on this thread I believe earlier in the year, fishing is fun anyway, nothing huge, like fishing most of those lake in that area, one I think of is grass lake, lots of fish, not many trophies..

As far as the real vs fake mount goes, IMO replica mounts look fake, even the good ones, most bass head just dont look right, Lax does a nice job on musky, but his bass dont look like bass, and ya I know most of the whole fish on a skin mount is painted, but its easier to trace lines than make it look real from nothing... I will only spend the extra cash to get a replica if they start looking as good as a quality skin mount like my guy does, besides I am not keeping every trophy for consumption or mounting, keep one good one for mounting and release the rest of the slobs after a photo, eat the medium sized fish...
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline BadgerFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #873 on: Feb 15, 2012, 07:55 PM »
Originally from near Conover Wisconsin.  Went to school with Rick, he was a year or 2 ahead of me.  His dad Ron was awesome at skin mounts and one of the best taxidermists in northern Wisconsin.  Didnt know Rick took over the business from his dad until I looked at the website, but he learned from one of the best.   Rick does a good job from the pics I saw.
GO Badgers !!

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #874 on: Feb 15, 2012, 09:19 PM »
BE VERY CAREFUL at H.P.

My buddy who a week ago was on 2.5 inches of ice fishing with me, was heading there today and left and went somewhere else, he said the same spot he had fished the day before had 4 ft from shore of a lot of water.  Just saying be VERY carefull!!

Offline adkgold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #875 on: Feb 16, 2012, 06:57 AM »
Whats the name of the guy/buisness?
Fish Photo Replicas.  We were given a few of his mounts for advertisements.  Some came out great, some came out, uhh not so great.  My laker came out great, my 5lb brookie came out less than impressive :( I would strongly suggest seeing one in person before actually paying for one.  They are not for everyone, but if its going way up the wall on a high ceiling you will not notice the difference.  If its going at eye level it might be obvious.  Again, it really depends on the photo.

damn ADK......nice fish!!! what lake it come from? u get it ice fishing?

I wish!  I have never caught a laker ice fishing.  I got it on Diana Lake in Kuujjuuaq (sp?) fishing for brook trout and acrtic char.

As far as the real vs fake mount goes, IMO replica mounts look fake, even the good ones, most bass head just dont look right, Lax does a nice job on musky, but his bass dont look like bass, and ya I know most of the whole fish on a skin mount is painted, but its easier to trace lines than make it look real from nothing... I will only spend the extra cash to get a replica if they start looking as good as a quality skin mount like my guy does, besides I am not keeping every trophy for consumption or mounting, keep one good one for mounting and release the rest of the slobs after a photo, eat the medium sized fish...

I think it really depends on the taxidermist.  We have a replica mount of 2 largemouth that looks fantastic, the only way you can tell its a replica is by the fins.  But on the other hand, we have a smallmouth replica that looks very bad. 

If you are really looking for a conversation piece Google Joe Swaluk.  His mounts are all carved from wood, by hand. 

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #876 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:34 AM »
jlaclair, who does your mounts? sounds good

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #877 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:39 AM »
BE VERY CAREFUL at H.P.

My buddy who a week ago was on 2.5 inches of ice fishing with me, was heading there today and left and went somewhere else, he said the same spot he had fished the day before had 4 ft from shore of a lot of water.  Just saying be VERY carefull!!

BUMP!!!!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #878 on: Feb 16, 2012, 07:56 AM »
jlaclair, who does your mounts? sounds good
Joe Durham, good friend best taxidermist in ny (3 time champ) amazing work good turn around time good price he has done 5 fish and a deer for me... I'll post a picture later
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #879 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:43 AM »
thanks..where is he located?

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #880 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:44 AM »
what the heck does bump mean?

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #881 on: Feb 16, 2012, 09:19 AM »
Its how you "bump" a thread back to the top of the board.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #882 on: Feb 16, 2012, 10:57 AM »
what the heck does bump mean?

I bumped it because SAFETY above ALL else has to be respected , there was not a skip in the conversation that was taking place and I didn't want to see someone NOT see this safety warning.

I had nothing new to add to the original statement, it's basically me saying I am bumping this to the forfront so people who haven't seen it can ....  I will be bumping this safety issue again soon, YOU can never be to safe, and H.P. has the ability to be one of the most dangerous spots on the St. Lawrence.

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #883 on: Feb 16, 2012, 11:48 AM »
i still dont get it..... but ok

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #884 on: Feb 16, 2012, 12:14 PM »
What is H. P.?

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #885 on: Feb 16, 2012, 12:45 PM »
i still dont get it..... but ok

often time people will write BUMP or TTT (To The Top) on threads so that it will appear at the top of the list of threads so people are more likely to click on it and read it instead having to search through pages of threads.
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #886 on: Feb 16, 2012, 02:40 PM »
Anyone catching anything on Black Lake? Went of the other day and catch 3 keeper crappie and one small northern on a tip up all day. Never had it that slow over there before but I guess if you caught them everyday it would be fishing. Anyone having any luck?
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #887 on: Feb 16, 2012, 03:04 PM »
Joe Durham, good friend best taxidermist in ny (3 time champ) amazing work good turn around time good price he has done 5 fish and a deer for me... I'll post a picture later

Joe Durham is over rated and way over priced. His work is just average from what ive seen. Our local guy blows him away in pike and walleye, Gary Bullriss in Morley, check him out he's pretty good.. He has done 7 fish and a deer for us.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #888 on: Feb 16, 2012, 03:49 PM »
thanks..where is he located?
he is in the Fine, Ny area, great guy

7.5lbs
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #889 on: Feb 16, 2012, 06:10 PM »
he is in the Fine, Ny area, great guy

(Image removed from quote.)

7.5lbs
what the h3ll is that? a tiger bass?
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #890 on: Feb 16, 2012, 08:25 PM »

fish looks just like it did when it came out of the water...

Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #891 on: Feb 17, 2012, 02:23 AM »
Josh I realize you drove a long way but no one can be sure of the bite on any given day. I have gone to black lake and pounded the fish. Just to go to the same holes the next day to get nothing. It is part of fishing, all you can do is try the areas mentioned and keep moving around to try and find them. Lake of the isles has good days maybe try there?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #892 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:05 AM »
You can't expect to figure out a brand new place in one trip.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #893 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:13 AM »
You can't expect to figure out a brand new place in one trip.

i must agree it takes alot of holes and alot of time to figure out where to be. i tend to troll around and check different areas with the bird to find the fish and structure. with just the wife and myself, i punch around 40 - 50 holes on a new lake just checking the new area out .

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #894 on: Feb 17, 2012, 11:31 AM »

LOLOLOL I was thinking the same thing
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #895 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:45 PM »
what is the bird?

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #896 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:50 PM »
hummingbird fish finder ;)

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #897 on: Feb 17, 2012, 12:59 PM »
is that one where u just set it on the ice and it tells depth, or do you have to place some sort of sensor or transducer in the hole

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #898 on: Feb 17, 2012, 01:26 PM »
Here's few of our mounts from Gary, he has done several more pike and another walleye and a deer for us, but you get the idea. Bad picture quality, from my iPhone.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #899 on: Feb 17, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Yup, those look alot better, slime dart is spot on
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.