New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373247 times)

Offline pikeattacker

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #780 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:06 PM »
Last year's alex bay winner came out of there.  I beleive the runner up did too.  Ridiculous to keep as many big fish as NNYIce was saying.  Some people are greedy I guess, you will never change their minds.  I have a couple buddies that keep everything big, they get mad at me when I let a big bass or northern go or try to talk them into releasing their big ones.  Slots would be nice, I think thats something NYDEC should consider on Pike, Bass and Walleye for starters.

Offline pikeattacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #781 on: Jan 31, 2012, 08:14 PM »
no the runner up did not come from cranberry i caught it saturday the day of the derby not tuesday like the derby winner o/well this year fished with the kids nooooo derby fishing

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #782 on: Feb 01, 2012, 06:39 AM »
I have release many a decent northern, if I keep them they are in the 21-28" range usually, I just want one over 18lbs for the wall and then no more giants for me
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #783 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:20 AM »
Guess I was wrong on that, I had heard both big ones last year were from cranberry,sorry.  I know there is no slot on walleye in my area of ny, some counties may have one though but I believe it would help the fishery.  Jmo

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #784 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:31 AM »
I have release many a decent northern, if I keep them they are in the 21-28" range usually, I just want one over 18lbs for the wall and then no more giants for me
Well, if you get one of those trophies - you can take lots of good photos and get accurate measurements then have a replica done.  More and more popular all the time.
Just a thought.  I don't have a problem at all with keeping a fish, if that's what someone wants.  It's just I've seen plenty of trophies tossed out because the person decided the cost for the mount was too much to bear.
Photos of the fresh-caught fish are really good idea, in any case.  The colors of a fish diminish rapidly after it is caught.  The taxidermist has to make a replication anyways when he/she paints it.

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #785 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:50 AM »
have they fished all the blue gills and crappies out of black lake yet? the amount of people on black this year is unbelieveable. I thought last year was bad, this year is one for the record books. Need some below zero weather to scare some other the non-regulars away for a bit.
Get out of the house...go fishing!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #786 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:54 AM »
have they fished all the blue gills and crappies out of black lake yet? the amount of people on black this year is unbelieveable. I thought last year was bad, this year is one for the record books. Need some below zero weather to scare some other the non-regulars away for a bit.
Nope!  They ain't hurting Black Lake one little bit.  They can have all the gills and crappie in the lake.  The walleye fry, fingerling, survival rate will go up.  ;D

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #787 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:34 AM »
You have been fishing black regularly...accidental ly catch many largemouths this year.    I caught one smallmouth on the jig pole and a few largemouths on the tip-ups but nothing over 15 inches. All went back down the hole of course but compared to last year I haven't caught many at all. Last year one of the largest lms of my life came out of the hole and it wasn't uncommon to catch 2-3 a day. Sign for the spring or just coincidence?  We were discussing this topic at work the other night. Rumors of people keeping largemouth after largemouth through the ice and how it affects the summer catch. Good question for the dec I believe.
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #788 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:42 AM »
i for one think its just coincidence....there are certain lakes i fish that i consistently catch largies all the time. may not be everyday, but manage to catch a bunch every year. on the switch side, i have a few other lakes i fish in the winter and never caught a largie, but kill it in the open water. i really don't think it is a sign of spring, (although it could be), as much as it is just that body of water

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #789 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:59 AM »
Not trying to create an argument or anything but ive heard that they dont want any pike in Cranberry and that is why there is no size limit and there encouraging people to keep every pike they catch because the pike and eating all the trout that are in there. I dont know if this is true but this is just what ive heard. Ive only fished it once and caught nothing.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #790 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:24 AM »
You have been fishing black regularly...accidental ly catch many largemouths this year.    I caught one smallmouth on the jig pole and a few largemouths on the tip-ups but nothing over 15 inches. All went back down the hole of course but compared to last year I haven't caught many at all. Last year one of the largest lms of my life came out of the hole and it wasn't uncommon to catch 2-3 a day. Sign for the spring or just coincidence?  We were discussing this topic at work the other night. Rumors of people keeping largemouth after largemouth through the ice and how it affects the summer catch. Good question for the dec I believe.
Just a couple.  Not much different than last year.  I can remember never getting a bass through the ice.  I hate those things through the ice.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #791 on: Feb 01, 2012, 09:27 AM »
Not trying to create an argument or anything but ive heard that they dont want any pike in Cranberry and that is why there is no size limit and there encouraging people to keep every pike they catch because the pike and eating all the trout that are in there. I dont know if this is true but this is just what ive heard. Ive only fished it once and caught nothing.
Well, if they is the DEC, I think they are the ones that kept it closed to Pike fishing for ever.  ???  You can spend a lot of time on Cranberry and catch nothing.  Then you can catch the trophy of a lifetime as well.  ;D

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #792 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Rollaway has had a ton of people fishing it this year. For the amount of people there pounding the pannies I don't think it has touched the population of them. In years before limits there were people going there and just pounding the place with a few pails a day. I think it helps the fish get larger to an extent and fish from other parts of the lake move right in. I think the new limits will keep it safe. Next year hopefully there will be more ice and everyone will spread out some.  ;D I did meet some nice people though from the southern area and helped a couple too. To the people I did meet and talk too get ahold of me next year maybe we can have a iceaholic meeting on the ice.  ;D I have one person that I would like to fish wish that is local and always catches some nice fish. Phil fishforpike hint hint lol

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #793 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:20 AM »

Who is "they?".. Whoever is hanging on to it being a trout lake, don't hold your breath. There is more pike in cranberry than you can shake a stick at, every year class from 20"-45".. If you know where to go and what your doin on cranberry you can catch pike every single time, and I mean every single time.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #794 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:21 AM »
Rollaway has had a ton of people fishing it this year. For the amount of people there pounding the pannies I don't think it has touched the population of them. In years before limits there were people going there and just pounding the place with a few pails a day. I think it helps the fish get larger to an extent and fish from other parts of the lake move right in. I think the new limits will keep it safe. Next year hopefully there will be more ice and everyone will spread out some.  ;D I did meet some nice people though from the southern area and helped a couple too. To the people I did meet and talk too get ahold of me next year maybe we can have a iceaholic meeting on the ice.  ;D I have one person that I would like to fish wish that is local and always catches some nice fish. Phil fishforpike hint hint lol
;D I look for you every time I go out.  Want an appointment?  I'm fishing tomorrow and Friday.  @)

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #795 on: Feb 01, 2012, 11:25 AM »
Who is "they?".. Whoever is hanging on to it being a trout lake, don't hold your breath. There is more pike in cranberry than you can shake a stick at, every year class from 20"-45".. If you know where to go and what your doin on cranberry you can catch pike every single time, and I mean every single time.

Never fished it, I would like to but don't know where to even start, possible to get a pm?
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline builderone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #796 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:47 PM »
;D I look for you every time I go out.  Want an appointment?  I'm fishing tomorrow and Friday.  @)
I am game for tomorrow. PM sent.

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #797 on: Feb 01, 2012, 08:53 PM »
Well iv fished chateaugay lake a bunch of times grew up there fished cranberry and star lake when i was at ranger school.  Now stuck in syracuse but cant complain hardwater fishing on the finger lakes and oneida have been pretty good other then the lack of ice this year. 

Offline duke4x4ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #798 on: Feb 01, 2012, 10:23 PM »
fished black lake with a few friend Sunday only kept a dozen or so no more than i will eat a lot of fun though i'm new to ice fishing black lake seeing a truck drive on the ice was a little crazy to me

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #799 on: Feb 03, 2012, 08:05 PM »
Going to perch lake tomorrow
Just enjoying life

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #800 on: Feb 04, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Perch lake has a 10" average ice shoreline broke up just a bit where main trail is just go to left a bit and will be good
Just enjoying life

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #801 on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:22 PM »
Just got home from the Tupper Lake Rod and Gun club ice fishing derby. Caught one pike and didnt win any money but i did win one of the two brand new four wheelers being given away!!!!!!  ;D

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #802 on: Feb 04, 2012, 08:55 PM »
Just got home from the Tupper Lake Rod and Gun club ice fishing derby. Caught one pike and didnt win any money but i did win one of the two brand new four wheelers being given away!!!!!!  ;D
Way to go bro, what kind? I'm hoping to win the polaris sportsman 500 at the slrwa northern challenge at coles creek @)
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #803 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:10 PM »
Way to go bro, what kind? I'm hoping to win the polaris sportsman 500 at the slrwa northern challenge at coles creek @)
Just a little Kawasakii 360. Nice little wheeler for ice fishin. Well i guess ill be seein ya next weekend cause i to am hopeing to win that sportsman 500 next weekend. And maybe a little bit of that cash there handin out  ;)2

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #804 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:22 PM »
It's the 25th
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #805 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:26 PM »
congrat's  :thumbsup:

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #806 on: Feb 04, 2012, 09:50 PM »
Just a little Kawasakii 360. Nice little wheeler for ice fishin. Well i guess ill be seein ya next weekend cause i to am hopeing to win that sportsman 500 next weekend. And maybe a little bit of that cash there handin out  ;)2

Atta Boy Cody!!!! I can't wait to ride it in your fields. Woo!! Way to hold down for Colton ny man!!!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #807 on: Feb 05, 2012, 04:23 AM »
Nice.  How was the derby otherwise?  Got any info on the size and numbers of fish weighed in?
That place is one BIG party, lots of fun for a lot of people.

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #808 on: Feb 05, 2012, 09:15 PM »
Nice.  How was the derby otherwise?  Got any info on the size and numbers of fish weighed in?
That place is one BIG party, lots of fun for a lot of people.
Thanks guys! The tournament was a blast! There were 210 fished weighed in threw out the whole day. Biggest one was a shy over 12 pounds the rest all under 10 pounds.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #809 on: Feb 06, 2012, 06:57 AM »
Congrats Bro, that's not a bad haul!
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.