New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373057 times)

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #750 on: Jan 29, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Any one have any info on Stark lake
Stark Reservoir?  Star Lake?

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #751 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:42 PM »
Stark Reservoir. Heading up for the Northern Challenge a few days early hoping to fish some of the local lakes. Any advice on where to go within a half hour drive of Tupper? Pike would be great, but we are happy catching anything in decent numbers.

Offline CCaputo51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #752 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:51 PM »
anybody fish blue mt lake?  where can you access it?

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #753 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:23 PM »
Hands down Oneida Lake is your best chance to catch walleye. I fish moon lake and red lake quite frequently in the spring and summer...red lake might produce scrapper walleye on occasion. If you fish the north shore of Oneida Lake and pick a day with no wind and good ice you can throw anything at em when the bite is on and you will produce. Of course one must mention location and the anglers knowledgde/skill also comes into play. Check the Oneida Lake BS postings from last week and you will get a good idea on the activity. There is no other option for good action. Sorry but the indian river lakes just don't have the same action...black lake is your next best bet if you're interested in waldo's. Oh I forgot to mention the Jumbo perch

trying to get eyes on black lake is tough at best they just held a tourney this weekend and not one eye was entered ,Oneida would be your best shot at eyes or the Bay of Quinte in Can.

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #754 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:38 PM »
Heading down to the St. Lawrence in the morning for some eyes.  Let you know how I do  ;)
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #755 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:43 PM »
if anyone is interested there were trucks out on Franklin Falls this morning  :o
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #756 on: Jan 29, 2012, 11:16 PM »
if anyone is interested there were trucks out on Franklin Falls this morning  :o

Jeesh thats a little sketchy for my liking, that water moves pretty good under the ice there.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #757 on: Jan 30, 2012, 05:57 AM »
trying to get eyes on black lake is tough at best they just held a tourney this weekend and not one eye was entered.

:bow: Amen to that.  That's what makes targeting them there such a challenge and pleasure.  Figuring those eyes out on Black Lake is no simple deal.  ;)
They are there though  :P

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #758 on: Jan 30, 2012, 12:53 PM »
Stark Reservoir. Heading up for the Northern Challenge a few days early hoping to fish some of the local lakes. Any advice on where to go within a half hour drive of Tupper? Pike would be great, but we are happy catching anything in decent numbers.
you can catch decent numbers of pike on raquette pond right in tupper lake. Pm me if you wish.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #759 on: Jan 30, 2012, 02:17 PM »

The whole raquette system is tough fishing, honestly. Stark and carry can be dangerous. There is swift water areas on stark I wouldn't fish either of them without enlisting the help of an experienced local. There's not but a few local guys who know where to go up there to be 100% safe.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #760 on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:22 PM »
My brother and my dad went out today, brother just txts me this, my dad got a nice one today 39" 16lb, not his biggest but biggest this season, he's been due for a good one.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #761 on: Jan 30, 2012, 03:24 PM »
The whole raquette system is tough fishing, honestly. Stark and carry can be dangerous. There is swift water areas on stark I wouldn't fish either of them without enlisting the help of an experienced local. There's not but a few local guys who know where to go up there to be 100% safe.
Hey Ice - you offering your help?  :)  Someone should mark up a custom google map explaining and showing the dangerous areas.  It's been 30 years since I haunted those reservoirs, need a refresher.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #762 on: Jan 30, 2012, 04:39 PM »
hoping to hook into a big nasty northern this weekend
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #763 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:12 PM »
Hey Ice - you offering your help?  :)  Someone should mark up a custom google map explaining and showing the dangerous areas.  It's been 30 years since I haunted those reservoirs, need a refresher.

I'll see what I can do and I'll shoot you a pm

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #764 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:22 PM »
I'll see what I can do and I'll shoot you a pm
My dad was a Chief Operator (the power houses) there through the 50s and 60s for NiMo.  We lived in a company house that was located just across the river from the Higley Power House.  Used to be a foot (suspension) bridge across there for the operators.  Last time I was up there the bridge was found laying up in the woods away from the river.  He was part of the "system" when it was built.  Knew it pretty well and I fished it with him when I was a youngster; don't remember all the stuff he told me and he is gone now.  :(  But he always knew what the water was doing and when it was going to do it.  Good times then.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #765 on: Jan 30, 2012, 06:27 PM »
hoping to hook into a big nasty northern this weekend

Get a nice one I wanna see some pictures

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #766 on: Jan 31, 2012, 06:30 AM »
Get a nice one I wanna see some pictures

hope so man, a group of use are meeting up in an area where some 20-30lbers have been caught in the past week so with any luck we will have one for the wall! so far ive only caught 2 this year (havent gone for Northerns too much yet) biggest was only 30" but its bottom jaw was deformed so I kept her..

Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #767 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:18 AM »
hope so man, a group of use are meeting up in an area where some 20-30lbers have been caught in the past week so with any luck we will have one for the wall! so far ive only caught 2 this year (havent gone for Northerns too much yet) biggest was only 30" but its bottom jaw was deformed so I kept her..

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

You must be talking about Cranberry.  6 of my buddies went there and they know what they are doing , several 20ish lbers in years past and the biggest they hit was a 16lber several other pike but an old timer told them that the 20 lbers are slowly turning into 10 lbers, which means it's getting over fished and or atleast big fish are getting over kept.

People don't realize to keep a fishery full of big fish , you have to let the big brutes go.  Think about it if you have 25 Jumbo's in a lake and you keep 23 of them what's left ?    That old timer knew what he was saying.  It's to bad that more people don't follow a rule where you let atleast some of the big breeders go.  With that said I do not think keeping a big fish  is wrong as we all have a choice and that choice is our own.

Offline Dorrski12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #768 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:44 AM »
i agree ice dog.
I'd rather be ice fishing

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #769 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:39 AM »
You must be talking about Cranberry.  6 of my buddies went there and they know what they are doing , several 20ish lbers in years past and the biggest they hit was a 16lber several other pike but an old timer told them that the 20 lbers are slowly turning into 10 lbers, which means it's getting over fished and or atleast big fish are getting over kept.

People don't realize to keep a fishery full of big fish , you have to let the big brutes go.  Think about it if you have 25 Jumbo's in a lake and you keep 23 of them what's left ?    That old timer knew what he was saying.  It's to bad that more people don't follow a rule where you let atleast some of the big breeders go.  With that said I do not think keeping a big fish  is wrong as we all have a choice and that choice is our own.

There is no doubt about it cranberry is being overfished. We were there the other day in our spot which coincidentally is a lot of guys spot because a lot of big ones come out right there, anyway... We're up there and these two fellas have a stack of pike on the ice, not eaters either. Couple 14-15 pounders. Couple 12-13 pounders. Drive by another shack on the wheeler and see a pile of frozen carcasses. Heads were big, all over 13 pounds it seemed. That's just crazy!!!!

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #770 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:49 AM »
There is no doubt about it cranberry is being overfished. We were there the other day in our spot which coincidentally is a lot of guys spot because a lot of big ones come out right there, anyway... We're up there and these two fellas have a stack of pike on the ice, not eaters either. Couple 14-15 pounders. Couple 12-13 pounders. Drive by another shack on the wheeler and see a pile of frozen carcasses. Heads were big, all over 13 pounds it seemed. That's just crazy!!!!

Was there a derby going on?  Pretty sure the Alex Bay winner came outta there...
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline bigcountrykeeper58

• IceShanty Rookie
  • YEAH BUDDY LET IT FREEZEEEEE !!!!
« Reply #771 on: Jan 31, 2012, 09:54 AM »
Out here on silver lake catching a few perch and some blues

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #772 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:01 AM »
Northernnyice, your pm box was full, I tried to pm you.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #773 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:08 AM »
Cleaned er out Clint! Good to go.

I don't know about the Alex bay deal but I heard from a credible source that the black lake derby winner came from cranberry.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #774 on: Jan 31, 2012, 10:41 AM »
Cleaned er out Clint! Good to go.

I don't know about the Alex bay deal but I heard from a credible source that the black lake derby winner came from cranberry.
Not that it matters but they drove a long ways to enter a 34.75", 10.34 lb. Pike. It was worth 190.00$ though  ;D

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #775 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:24 AM »
Not that it matters but they drove a long ways to enter a 34.75", 10.34 lb. Pike. It was worth 190.00$ though  ;D

Perhaps it was just a rumor but crazier things have happened

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #776 on: Jan 31, 2012, 12:36 PM »
WILD weather.  30 here at Black Lake - 50 in Watertown and warmer in Syracuse.  It's just an amazing winter this year.
The northcountry is taking a big fishing hit this season.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #777 on: Jan 31, 2012, 01:02 PM »
Ok, so Stark is out.  I've fished it plenty when I lived in Tupper Lake but never through the ice!  Any other locals up there have any helpful suggestions on where to head for a couple of days before the Northern Challenge?  We'll be heading up tomorrow  ???

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #778 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Last year's alex bay winner came out of there.  I beleive the runner up did too.  Ridiculous to keep as many big fish as NNYIce was saying.  Some people are greedy I guess, you will never change their minds.  I have a couple buddies that keep everything big, they get mad at me when I let a big bass or northern go or try to talk them into releasing their big ones.  Slots would be nice, I think thats something NYDEC should consider on Pike, Bass and Walleye for starters.

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #779 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:57 PM »
Last year's alex bay winner came out of there.  I beleive the runner up did too.  Ridiculous to keep as many big fish as NNYIce was saying.  Some people are greedy I guess, you will never change their minds.  I have a couple buddies that keep everything big, they get mad at me when I let a big bass or northern go or try to talk them into releasing their big ones.  Slots would be nice, I think thats something NYDEC should consider on Pike, Bass and Walleye for starters.
Walleye is slot i believe or is it a specific time of yr that it is
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.