New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373063 times)

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #720 on: Jan 26, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Enjoy the mercury fish, I'm oretty sure the ice is solid it doesn't get as warm in that neck of the woods

HA! No mercury for us.  We just fish for the sport of it and bring our dinner.  I understand there are better waters to fish in the area but it is more of the convenience of having our cabin right on the water that keeps us there.  Thanks for the report.  I know its been cold enough for the rest of the water but was curious of how the milder weather effected the flow if at all.

Offline privateeyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #721 on: Jan 26, 2012, 01:52 PM »
I am headed up to Franklin Falls for the weekend tomorrow morning from NJ and was wondering about the recent mild weather and rain and it's effect on the flow.  Has anyone been by there in the past few days or does anyone think there may be a potential hazard crossing the areas where the river flows through pond?  Our camp is on the other side and we need to cross the flow to get there.  Our plan is to quad across.  Think we are safe?
I remember one june driving around franklin falls resi.. pretty place but the water was brown mud for wateever reason.. and i do recall the fish consumption advisories for that drink.. must have been local pollution from decades ago  ???

Offline phishn704

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #722 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Yes Auger Lake is next to northway. Private access

Offline Gaffmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #723 on: Jan 26, 2012, 03:30 PM »
Burning Beard  - The ice should be fine.  Probably in the 12-15" range, and little to no snow cover all all.  I've only seen a few people fishing it so far this year.  Check for yourself before you put the wheeler on of course.

privateeyes-  The mercury comes from coal fired power plant emissions in the midwest, just like acid rain.  Dark stained waters like Franklin Falls cause the mercury to convert to a form that can be absorbed by fish, and it works it's way up the food chain.  And since those walleyes eat a lot of other fish, you have the advisories. 

It's still one of the most scenic ponds around, and on the right day, the fishing can even be good. @)
Waiting, calculating, for next adventures on the ice.

Offline RAINMAN

• IceShanty Rookie
  • TEAM Treble Makers!
« Reply #724 on: Jan 26, 2012, 04:04 PM »
Drove though Sackets today and the harbor, as well as the bay, was wide open. I joined a couple of guys just standing there staring at it in disbelief.  :'(

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #725 on: Jan 26, 2012, 05:36 PM »
Drove though Sackets today and the harbor, as well as the bay, was wide open. I joined a couple of guys just standing there staring at it in disbelief.  :'(
time to put the boat in yes
lets rip some lips its time to fish

Offline Burning Beard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #726 on: Jan 26, 2012, 06:04 PM »
Thanks Gaff.  Great info.  Wish us luck!

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #727 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:14 PM »
was at robinson bay tonight, there is a solid 13'' measured with a tape, drilled about 40 holes and found the same everywhere
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #728 on: Jan 26, 2012, 07:35 PM »
was at robinson bay tonight, there is a solid 13'' measured with a tape, drilled about 40 holes and found the same everywhere
Fish?  40 of them, one for each hole?  ;D ;)  How much water is in there?

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #729 on: Jan 26, 2012, 08:51 PM »
Ran my tipups in a line 25 yds long and the first tipup was in 8' and the last in 40'.  There are some major depth changes there, 2 eyes caught
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline machzrcr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #730 on: Jan 27, 2012, 02:43 AM »
anyone been to goose bay  or chippewa bay? was thinking about  possibly heading up  if theres ne  good ice.   

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #731 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:08 AM »
Both have decent ice.  TI Bait lists 4-10".

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #732 on: Jan 27, 2012, 10:11 AM »
Found the crappies yesterday...anyone else come into them about 1pm yesterday afternoon. Just finished filleting them up. can't wait to fry some of them up later. Yum! As for the tip-ups. 4 northern- 1 28 inches, 1 27 1/2, and 2 little guys. All went back down the hole after a measurement and a quick picture. Made it a habit to take atleast one picture of every northern caught this winter. Pretty neat to scroll threw them like a timeline. Smaller as the season progresses. Couple with battle wounds one with a treble hook in its lip. Wish I had the two back that streched my leader....
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #733 on: Jan 27, 2012, 07:48 PM »
Crappies? Black Lake?

Found the crappies yesterday...anyone else come into them about 1pm yesterday afternoon. Just finished filleting them up. can't wait to fry some of them up later. Yum! As for the tip-ups. 4 northern- 1 28 inches, 1 27 1/2, and 2 little guys. All went back down the hole after a measurement and a quick picture. Made it a habit to take atleast one picture of every northern caught this winter. Pretty neat to scroll threw them like a timeline. Smaller as the season progresses. Couple with battle wounds one with a treble hook in its lip. Wish I had the two back that streched my leader....

Offline CCaputo51

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #734 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:08 PM »
Have any of you fished Lake Eaton.  I live 2hrs from there and have always wanted to fish it but I just dont know if the drive is worth it.  Not asking for spots but is it decent fishing?  Thanks.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #735 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:09 PM »
Have any of you fished Lake Eaton.  I live 2hrs from there and have always wanted to fish it but I just dont know if the drive is worth it.  Not asking for spots but is it decent fishing?  Thanks.
check the Eaton thread, some nice salmon caught this year
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #736 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:10 PM »

its slowed down the past few years but the chance of getting a big one is there.  ;)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #737 on: Jan 28, 2012, 07:16 PM »
Beautiful 25" Chain Pickerel caught today out of chaumont area... My first and obviously a PB! Also a nice load of perch

Offline adkgold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #738 on: Jan 28, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Any decent Walleye fishing on the Saint Lawrence within driving distance from Plattsburgh?  Never been up that way, but cant help but marvel at all the pics I see!

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #739 on: Jan 28, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Need your guys opinion please! I am taking my cousin out ice fishing for the first time and he wants to catch walleye. Since we dont have safe ice here where we live we are going to make the 3 hour drive up north. I am trying to select the lake with the largest Walleye population to up our chances of hooking into some. I have narrowed it down to 5 lakes, but I havent been able to find much as far as walleye population in each of them. If you guys could let me know which of the following lakes would give us our best chance at walleye it would be greatly appreciated!

Clear Lake, Sixberry Lake, Crystal Lake, Red Lake or Grass Lake.

Thanks again!

-Ben

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #740 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:08 AM »
Any decent Walleye fishing on the Saint Lawrence within driving distance from Plattsburgh?  Never been up that way, but cant help but marvel at all the pics I see!
Well, the St. Lawrence is a pretty "long" river and you could likely drive to anywhere you want.  We probably need a little more narrow area to make any recommendations.  You could start at Chaumont Bay in Jefferson County.  That's just before the St. Lawrence leaves the lake.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #741 on: Jan 29, 2012, 04:10 AM »
Need your guys opinion please! I am taking my cousin out ice fishing for the first time and he wants to catch walleye. Since we dont have safe ice here where we live we are going to make the 3 hour drive up north. I am trying to select the lake with the largest Walleye population to up our chances of hooking into some. I have narrowed it down to 5 lakes, but I havent been able to find much as far as walleye population in each of them. If you guys could let me know which of the following lakes would give us our best chance at walleye it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

-Ben
I would not say any of those lakes would be a great choice for Walleye.  I would likely target Oneida when they get some good ice.  That's just my opinion.  :)

Offline adkgold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #742 on: Jan 29, 2012, 05:28 AM »
Well, the St. Lawrence is a pretty "long" river and you could likely drive to anywhere you want.  We probably need a little more narrow area to make any recommendations.  You could start at Chaumont Bay in Jefferson County.  That's just before the St. Lawrence leaves the lake.
Thanks.  Is there anything closer to the Massena area?

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #743 on: Jan 29, 2012, 06:34 AM »
Thanks.  Is there anything closer to the Massena area?

coles creek, brandy brook, pretty much any place in Waddington, I am sure there are some in messena but I dont usually fish that way
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #744 on: Jan 29, 2012, 07:17 AM »
If you have your heart set on the Indian river lakes I would say black lake is the best.  Red is probably the best out of what you listed.  Clear is dead for walleyes, very few....I live on clear and only get one or two a year.  I would have to agree with the Oneida lake option, probably your best bet.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #745 on: Jan 29, 2012, 08:57 AM »
Yeah oneida would be my first choice but I have to go next weekend while he's in town

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #746 on: Jan 29, 2012, 09:51 AM »

Oneida lake is sketchy .... wait for at least 2 days of freezing temps .

Offline lake simon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • look familiar
« Reply #747 on: Jan 29, 2012, 10:30 AM »
Any one have any info on Stark lake

Offline WailinOnPerch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #748 on: Jan 29, 2012, 10:45 AM »
I've heard that they've been catching tons of walleye on oneida lake latley, but i would'nt go out there for awhile

Offline minettoman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #749 on: Jan 29, 2012, 05:41 PM »

Thanks again!

-Ben
Hands down Oneida Lake is your best chance to catch walleye. I fish moon lake and red lake quite frequently in the spring and summer...red lake might produce scrapper walleye on occasion. If you fish the north shore of Oneida Lake and pick a day with no wind and good ice you can throw anything at em when the bite is on and you will produce. Of course one must mention location and the anglers knowledgde/skill also comes into play. Check the Oneida Lake BS postings from last week and you will get a good idea on the activity. There is no other option for good action. Sorry but the indian river lakes just don't have the same action...black lake is your next best bet if you're interested in waldo's. Oh I forgot to mention the Jumbo perch
When I go fishing I like to know that there's nobody within five miles of me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.