New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373212 times)

Offline serveprotect

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #630 on: Jan 18, 2012, 05:23 PM »
Only way to fish wheathouse right now is with a boat.  Speaking of which, how is the action there when there is ice?

Offline Dorrski12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #631 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:41 PM »
looks like a nice day filetandrelease.  how big was the eye?
I'd rather be ice fishing

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #632 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:47 PM »
If its the one right in Redwood, he should have a blast.  The Northerns are small but plentiful.  Just like any other place, there are slow days though.

I think its techniqally in De peyster... but ya cant plan on it being nonstop action even at the best spots, just want to see the little guy excited over his first flag
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #633 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:52 PM »
looks like a nice day filetandrelease.  how big was the eye?

that one was 19.5"

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #634 on: Jan 18, 2012, 06:53 PM »
Only way to fish wheathouse right now is with a boat.  Speaking of which, how is the action there when there is ice?
Generally, SLOW.  Can be good at times and in "spots".  ;D

Offline steel123

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #635 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:19 PM »
fished eel bay for the first t.ime... that place is a killer fishery, never seen so much pike in my life..lotta fun def be driving back from buffalo soon... Fished it saturday from 1 to 5pm  landed 6 pike(first pike ever through the ice), and must of lost 8.. all on big chubs, in 3ft of water, which i was shocked about..never fished that shallow.. great time... black lake was cool too. gotta bout 9 keeper crappie and a pike.. wana go back soon!!
"There's no head like steelhead".. -a wise fisherman

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #636 on: Jan 18, 2012, 08:52 PM »
Going for the big pike tomorrow. New spot on an otherwise familiar body of water. We'll see how it goes.

Offline anglerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #637 on: Jan 18, 2012, 09:19 PM »
That's a lot of pike for your first trip out.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #638 on: Jan 19, 2012, 04:16 AM »
Going for the big pike tomorrow. New spot on an otherwise familiar body of water. We'll see how it goes.

Do you fish EVERY day?!?!  I'm still hoping to get out for the first time this year, and your fishing what seems to be every day and night!  I'm amazed and jealous.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #639 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:28 AM »
Do you fish EVERY day?!?!  I'm still hoping to get out for the first time this year, and your fishing what seems to be every day and night!  I'm amazed and jealous.

Not hardly. But every single day or night that I can, I will. No woman anymore, no kids, woo!!

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #640 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:46 AM »
Not hardly. But every single day or night that I can, I will. No woman anymore, no kids, woo!!
enjoy it bud!! I wouldnt trade my kids for the world but I dont fish nearly as much as I use to...
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #641 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:40 AM »
enjoy it bud!! I wouldnt trade my kids for the world but I dont fish nearly as much as I use to...
Took the words right out of my mouth. Between work, weather, wife, kids, and other family events I haven't been out once yet. Hoping to change that this weekend.

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #642 on: Jan 19, 2012, 08:56 AM »
Thinking about taking a trip up to Lake Colby this weekend, never fished it. Anyone ever fish it? good idea???

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #643 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:07 AM »
Thinking about taking a trip up to Lake Colby this weekend, never fished it. Anyone ever fish it? good idea???
havent fished it in a while, can be decent trout action and I am pretty sure there are some giant perch in there
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #644 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:35 AM »
havent fished it in a while, can be decent trout action and I am pretty sure there are some giant perch in there
Any pike in there?

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #645 on: Jan 19, 2012, 09:40 AM »
Any pike in there?
some people say there is but I have never seen nor heard of anyone I know get one.....

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #646 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:28 PM »
Fired up about fishing this weekend!!!!  Took a little trip on the wheeler today drilling holes and I can put a wheeler anywhere on my home lake now!  This is good news now I can chase the pannies on three different lakes all without leaving my wheeler and quicker than by vehicle!

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #647 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:43 PM »
Fired up about fishing this weekend!!!!  Took a little trip on the wheeler today drilling holes and I can put a wheeler anywhere on my home lake now!  This is good news now I can chase the pannies on three different lakes all without leaving my wheeler and quicker than by vehicle!

That's great this is my last weekend till season over to work so next week its on
Just enjoying life

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #648 on: Jan 19, 2012, 05:54 PM »
Any pike in there?

Never pulled a pike out yet. just perch and trout.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #649 on: Jan 20, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Thanks for the info guys, hopefully i can pull a few trout out of the hole this weekend and maybe catch one of these elusive pike that you guys speak of!  :tipup:

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #650 on: Jan 20, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Caught a couple pike inthe back bays back when I was at PS, they were big girls too but I think there are many better pike waters in the area ;)
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline LastCast69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #651 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:05 AM »
fished rollins yesterday. only a handful of smelt. had the traps out for the pike that i know are in there, but no luck. i fished to the left of the launch where i know the pike are in the summer. anyone have any advice for pike lakes which will produce some gators in the paul smiths area?  please pm me anything info you can spare

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #652 on: Jan 20, 2012, 10:07 AM »
fished rollins yesterday. only a handful of smelt. had the traps out for the pike that i know are in there, but no luck. i fished to the left of the launch where i know the pike are in the summer. anyone have any advice for pike lakes which will produce some gators in the paul smiths area?  please pm me anything info you can spare
you gotta go further down the lake in rollins, i have caught several 10+ lbers out of there

Offline nitzer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #653 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:04 PM »
where exactly is rollins? i fish essex county alot....far from there?

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #654 on: Jan 20, 2012, 01:52 PM »
where exactly is rollins? i fish essex county alot....far from there?
fish creek campgrounds, all the way to the end

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #655 on: Jan 20, 2012, 04:52 PM »
you gotta go further down the lake in rollins, i have caught several 10+ lbers out of there

went the other day, tons of smelt, set tipups out with smelt on, caught one northern, 30"er deformed jaw 4lb flouro.... def go to the other end for northerns
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline klandnl

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #656 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:02 PM »
thanks for all the help for good places with the 4 yr old i think he is hooked so far

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #657 on: Jan 20, 2012, 05:10 PM »
thanks for all the help for good places with the 4 yr old i think he is hooked so far
where are the pictures  ??? ???
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #658 on: Jan 20, 2012, 07:29 PM »
anyone ever fish Mud Lake in DePeyster?...
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #659 on: Jan 20, 2012, 08:07 PM »
anyone ever fish Mud Lake in DePeyster?...

or Hickory?
Tight Lines and Flags!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.