New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373063 times)

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #540 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:41 PM »
That lake only hold rock bass, no trout. Who in their right mind would want to catch one of those?! ::) :P

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #541 on: Jan 11, 2012, 06:43 PM »
Anybody hit star lake  yet?

Not since i was at the RS. our group landed 5 decent rainbows that day.

Ranger_bound , I think we had some courses together last year.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #542 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:39 AM »
Roads are bad here in Colton complete glare ice. Be careful going to work or to the water everyone

Offline Tug Hill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #543 on: Jan 12, 2012, 10:53 AM »
Thanks for all the info on Cranberry lake . I didn't think I saw anyone fishing years ago, so having open in 'O3 makes sence. One of the posts said it was shallow ? 5-10 or less ?
It's not how many breaths you take, but rather what takes your breath away that counts.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #544 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:08 PM »
If your fishing for pike, bring lots of pike bait if you go to eel. The perch will be hittin it and you'll have flags like crazy.Maybe put on some trailer's so the perch won't strip your bait and you'll be able to land some over hungry perch with big eyes and small stomachs.   When I have been there this year, people were closer to shore... A few hundred yards out.

Thats a great idea.  Was on Eel last week and had a bunch of "perch flags".  Picked one tip up up real slow and saw a really nice perch with my minnow in its mouth past the dorsal fin, but couldn't get it in any further because his top lip was hitting the trebble hook.
Maybe if I rigged up some kind of short trailer hook......maybe a small octopus hook slipped right under the skin behind the head.... I could have caught a bunch of those tasty perch that kept messing with my minnows.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #545 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:10 PM »
Thanks for all the info on Cranberry lake . I didn't think I saw anyone fishing years ago, so having open in 'O3 makes sence. One of the posts said it was shallow ? 5-10 or less ?
most of it. there are some holes up to 30 feet.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #546 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:16 PM »
Roads are bad here in Colton complete glare ice. Be careful going to work or to the water everyone

yeah bad roads this way also.  Stopped me from fishing today and probably tommorrow.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #547 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:19 PM »
yeah bad roads this way also.  Stopped me from fishing today and probably tommorrow.
still nasty out here...
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #548 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:38 PM »
Hope the roads clear up for the weekend, would like to make the trip to lake Colby.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #549 on: Jan 12, 2012, 04:39 PM »
still nasty out here...

Been nasty here too most of the day

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #550 on: Jan 13, 2012, 06:57 AM »
Anyone make it to the water yesterday? Wondering if the fish produced. I made it from work to the road to black in gouverneur which hadn't been touched by a plow. Started up it and just touched the brakes to see how slippery it really was. Note to others...glare ice is indeed very slippery with rain on top. Decided to head home ( 1 hr from gouvey to canton @ 6am),  work on the to-do list for the day and get that caught up. Off again tuesday thinking of hitting up Lake the isles. Heard a guy went for a swim over there last weekend. Avoid the docks and the point to the left of the launch.
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline fishing202

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #551 on: Jan 13, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Ranger, I like rock bass.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #552 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:15 AM »
Anyone make it to the water yesterday? Wondering if the fish produced. I made it from work to the road to black in gouverneur which hadn't been touched by a plow. Started up it and just touched the brakes to see how slippery it really was. Note to others...glare ice is indeed very slippery with rain on top. Decided to head home ( 1 hr from gouvey to canton @ 6am),  work on the to-do list for the day and get that caught up. Off again tuesday thinking of hitting up Lake the isles. Heard a guy went for a swim over there last weekend. Avoid the docks and the point to the left of the launch.

i was there last weekend and the launch was wet go to the right of the launch ,it was fine for us ,that is always a pain just the way it freezes ,it develops a pressure crack there

Offline Grizzy23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #553 on: Jan 13, 2012, 10:52 AM »
I was out yesterday on black at rollway, caught a small pike to start then one about 35 in, 7 lb. After that there was so much ice on the tip ups they wouldn't even go off. Decided to pick and caught another pike on an iced up tip up, with 3 other tip ups missing the bait. So they're definitely still biting. Quite a few guys picking up panfish too

Offline floatsgone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #554 on: Jan 13, 2012, 03:48 PM »
hows the snow pilling up anyone checked?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #555 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:26 PM »
We're getting pounded with snow. Gonna make the ice garbage

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #556 on: Jan 13, 2012, 04:47 PM »
When we were walking off Sunday, it looked like there was a little too much water on the ice by the pressure crack.  My buddy and I thought someone went in so we avoided that area!  Oddly enough, I can tell you the water is very cold there. When I was packing up Tuesday, it got a little dark out and the hole by my sled was waiting for my leg... fun walk back on glare ice, no creepers, and wet boot.  Remind me again why I have a 10" auger!?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #557 on: Jan 13, 2012, 05:34 PM »
When we were walking off Sunday, it looked like there was a little too much water on the ice by the pressure crack.  My buddy and I thought someone went in so we avoided that area!  Oddly enough, I can tell you the water is very cold there. When I was packing up Tuesday, it got a little dark out and the hole by my sled was waiting for my leg... fun walk back on glare ice, no creepers, and wet boot.  Remind me again why I have a 10" auger!?

Ever heard of a head lamp? Haha.

Offline fishon35

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #558 on: Jan 14, 2012, 05:39 AM »
It seems there's always one thing left behind whether it be me or someone else... I bet you can figure out what it was! Swim trunks.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #559 on: Jan 14, 2012, 07:23 PM »
The roads cleared up and we managed to make it out on the ice. here's today's.

My Biggest worry is that when I'm dead and gone, my wife will sell my gear for what i said i paid for it.

Offline appleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #560 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:10 AM »
Can anyone tell me how much snow is on black lake? tryinh to decide if i need to bring the 2wd fourwheeler or the snowmobile?  thanks  :tipup:
Team Roundhole LLC....

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #561 on: Jan 15, 2012, 08:49 AM »
fished all day yesterday, dark to dark, in brutally cold temps, 1 flag, 7lb pike... yikes!!!!! staying in today and watching the Giants get their azz handed to them
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #562 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:12 AM »
fished all day yesterday, dark to dark, in brutally cold temps, 1 flag, 7lb pike... yikes!!!!! staying in today and watching the Giants get their azz handed to them
You got that right!!   GO PACK!!  Down on Long Island visiting family for the weekend..........surro unded by blue and red. Gonna be a rough crowd.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #563 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:29 AM »
Can anyone tell me how much snow is on black lake? tryinh to decide if i need to bring the 2wd fourwheeler or the snowmobile?  thanks  :tipup:
Was slushy (about 4" in spots) with hard ice around.  Not much snow.  It's messy, I guess.

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #564 on: Jan 15, 2012, 09:58 AM »
The roads cleared up and we managed to make it out on the ice. here's today's.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

those landlocks? nice looking fish congrats
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline uplandguide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #565 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:24 AM »
Those are browns, landlocks have a forked tail.

Offline o2rmk800

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #566 on: Jan 15, 2012, 10:27 AM »
i would say those top 2 are brood stock out of Eaton. and the bottom apears to be a small landlock

Offline Dorrski12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #567 on: Jan 15, 2012, 06:42 PM »
"Can anyone tell me how much snow is on black lake? tryinh to decide if i need to bring the 2wd fourwheeler or the snowmobile?  thanks"

was out on black lake today.  snow was not a problem at all.
I'd rather be ice fishing

Offline appleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #568 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:03 PM »
thanks for the replys!  heading up early tomorrow morning. decided to just walk so i dont have to tow the trailer up.
Team Roundhole LLC....

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #569 on: Jan 15, 2012, 07:37 PM »
got some minnows to use, debating whether or not to try for pike or trout....
Tight Lines and Flags!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.