New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373057 times)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #390 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:57 PM »
Well now....if you look on the small water/jefferson county thread Sandy Pond is listed and last time I knew that was pretty much Northern New York.

When you live this far up north, none of that down yonder really is lol..

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #391 on: Jan 04, 2012, 05:09 PM »
where you located?
Im from the sodus bay area. Not gonna have ice here for a while yet. Need to start fishing. Just invested in that vex gotta get my moneys worth. And not to mention need to fill my freezers. Im trying to figure out a good place with good ice i got lazy in the past few years and always use a machine now. So need a good 7" of good black ice. Any info helps and what they r bittin most
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #392 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:02 AM »
Ok, I see a bunch of posts through here about BB.  I know this id the northern NY thread so I know the BB you guys are talking about is not the one I am thinking of (Big Bay on Oneida)  So what is BB??

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #393 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:09 AM »
Ok, I see a bunch of posts through here about BB.  I know this id the northern NY thread so I know the BB you guys are talking about is not the one I am thinking of (Big Bay on Oneida)  So what is BB??
North Country - Maybe that's a new thread?  ;D
Brandy Brook - runs into a bay on the St. Lawrence River just NE of Waddington on Rt.37.  Easy access for walkers and generally good early ice.  Coles Creek is just a little further on.

Offline emtorn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #394 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:41 AM »
North Country - Maybe that's a new thread?  ;D

?? Thought it said Northern NY??  Anyway thanks for the info ;D  Only second season Ice fishing and I am already looking to travel 2hrs to fish....I'm in trouble.  Heading north Fri

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #395 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:22 AM »
?? Thought it said Northern NY??  Anyway thanks for the info ;D  Only second season Ice fishing and I am already looking to travel 2hrs to fish....I'm in trouble.  Heading north Fri
;D  Folks' definition and understanding of "Upstate", "Central", "Southern", "Western", "Northern", "North Country", "etc." in NY always puzzles me.

Anyways, up here in the "North Country" of NY we got ICE  ;D

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #396 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:46 AM »
;D  Folks' definition and understanding of "Upstate", "Central", "Southern", "Western", "Northern", "North Country", "etc." in NY always puzzles me.

Anyways, up here in the "North Country" of NY we got ICE  ;D
me too...

and so do we  ;D ;D
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #397 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:57 AM »
North country Is just north country. Guys in northern Minnesota and places like that are from "the north country" too. St. Lawrence Franklin and Clinton counties is truly north country to me. Also the top half of Essex. Anything else is upstate down till Albany.. And I've never ventured farther down than that hahah. Just my opinion

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #398 on: Jan 05, 2012, 06:59 AM »
just been doing a lil research and im going north this weekend.  was planning lake of the isles but now im wondering if butterfeild, clear, or hyde lake is frozen over and safe?  looking for walleye I know i wont find them at lake of the isles but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #399 on: Jan 05, 2012, 07:17 AM »
For those of you not looking for a place to fish this weekend....how is the fishing north country? I had better luck with bigger northern tuesday. It was bitter cold for the tip ups but glad I stuck it out till the minnows were gone. Caught 8 total (one 37 1/2, one 34, 2 30s and the rest were mid to high 20s), only two lms this time (which is good because they swallow it), did some jigging once the tip ups died and my hands regained feeling. Ended up with a respectable amount of bluegills of good size and 5 crappie. Anyone else have any fishing results from tuesday? Wondering how the northern bite & crappie bite was elsewhere in the north country. For those of you looking for a place to fish. Follow the endless cars headed north this weekend, might lead you to some water with ice on it....
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #400 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:11 AM »
North country Is just north country. Guys in northern Minnesota and places like that are from "the north country" too. St. Lawrence Franklin and Clinton counties is truly north country to me. Also the top half of Essex. Anything else is upstate down till Albany.. And I've never ventured farther down than that hahah. Just my opinion
yes another upstater who says it stops at albany. This ones gonna get stick boys. Especially if any from nyc see it. Cant wait. Be careful.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #401 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:13 AM »

Yeah, I was thinking the same.  There are places that people are talking about and I am like "what the heck are you talking about?"

I thought we would be discussing from like the Burgh to Tupper lake  areas mostly.  Maybe we do need a different title for next year ;D

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #402 on: Jan 05, 2012, 08:27 AM »
just been doing a lil research and im going north this weekend.  was planning l
ake of the isles but now im wondering if butterfeild, clear, or hyde lake is frozen over and safe?  looking for walleye I know i wont find them at lake of the isles but any info would be greatly appreciated.

Clear, butterfield  and Hyde wretched all sketchy right now where you are going to find the eyes.  I fish all three of them a lot (I live on clear).  I was on clear yesterday and had six inches in the lower bay but anywhere the eyes are is real sketchy, I am going to give it a little while,just my .02

Offline appleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #403 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:20 AM »
Anyone been on black lake in the last couple days? Just wonderin how thick the ice is. Thanks! :tipup:
Team Roundhole LLC....

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #404 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:24 AM »
Try the black lack thread or call chapmans sport shop

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #405 on: Jan 05, 2012, 09:26 AM »
For those of you not looking for a place to fish this weekend....how is the fishing north country? I had better luck with bigger northern tuesday. It was bitter cold for the tip ups but glad I stuck it out till the minnows were gone. Caught 8 total (one 37 1/2, one 34, 2 30s and the rest were mid to high 20s), only two lms this time (which is good because they swallow it), did some jigging once the tip ups died and my hands regained feeling. Ended up with a respectable amount of bluegills of good size and 5 crappie. Anyone else have any fishing results from tuesday? Wondering how the northern bite & crappie bite was elsewhere in the north country. For those of you looking for a place to fish. Follow the endless cars headed north this weekend, might lead you to some water with ice on it....

Sounds like a good day where's the pics??

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #406 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:17 PM »
Checked HP today. Still wide open up until the power lines. Locked up past that towards Robinson. but looks crappy.

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #407 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:37 PM »

Sounds like a good day where's the pics??

Will Try to put some up tommorrow on my day off...if I can figure it out. Any word on the crappie bit? Heard a few were being taken at Lake of the isles and some over at red lake.

HP always makes me nervous, ice wise. Have caught some nice eyes there. Headed that way saturday to see the gfs parents, I could check it out but I think the results would be the same.

Might take the girlfriend out Sunday. I have begun enjoying my time off during the week more and more as the weekends the ice is packed. Or atleast black lake has been the last two years.
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #408 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:50 PM »
Don't fish Black lake I stick to the raquette and st. Lawrence. Most bays I fish we have all to ourselves, maybe one or two other people. Heres one my dad got today.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #409 on: Jan 05, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking the same.  There are places that people are talking about and I am like "what the heck are you talking about?"

I thought we would be discussing from like the Burgh to Tupper lake  areas mostly.  Maybe we do need a different title for next year ;D

Those are my exact thoughts..

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #410 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:15 PM »
Anyone been on black lake in the last couple days? Just wonderin how thick the ice is. Thanks! :tipup:
Nearly 8" out of Rollaway this afternoon.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #411 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:21 PM »
:roflmao:  Folks from Albany to NYC better not reading about your "perception" of "upstate".  Most think think it stops at Albany as well; but from the other direction  ;)
Like I said, it's interesting to get everyones opinions on these geographic areas of NY.
How about the 315r's?

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #412 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:23 PM »
rumor has it there was a 20+ lb pike caught in some local waters around here yesterday, I am on the search for the guy and a pic.( I know who it was)
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline beavercreekoutdoors

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #413 on: Jan 05, 2012, 04:36 PM »
Heading to Black Lake on Saturday.  Can anyone tell me what the best way to access Black Bay is?  First time there on ice.  Thanks.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #414 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:02 PM »
:roflmao:  Folks from Albany to NYC better not reading about your "perception" of "upstate".  Most think think it stops at Albany as well; but from the other direction  ;)
Like I said, it's interesting to get everyones opinions on these geographic areas of NY.
How about the 315r's?

Tis my opinion and I could care less what anyone from Albany to NYC think of it

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #415 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:06 PM »
Tis my opinion and I could care less what anyone from Albany to NYC think of it

Me either - just say'n -  ;)  It's the point I was trying to make.  :)

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #416 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:07 PM »
Don't fish Black lake I stick to the raquette and st. Lawrence. Most bays I fish we have all to ourselves, maybe one or two other people. Heres one my dad got today.
(Image removed from quote.)

very respectable fish...looks like I need to make a trip home soon
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #417 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:12 PM »

a friend of mine lives in old forge and he thinks we are all flat landers  ;D

Offline slabstalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #418 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Hey, I'm looking to make the drive up from rochester to fish black lake for the weekend looking for gils and craps I want to fish the rollaway bay area and was wondering if there was any lodging close to this area...any info would greatly appreciated...thanks.. .tight lines all

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #419 on: Jan 05, 2012, 05:28 PM »
Dont know how much of you follow the FLW tour but Scott Martin, (Rolands son) Is hosting the Scott Martin Challenge tv show on Saranac Lake coming up soon.  Just thought some folks would be interested to see that, must be NY is finally on the map!

PS- sorry if its off topic but it is Northern NY

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.