New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373160 times)

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #360 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:35 PM »
I'm thinking about making the trip from rochester to look for crappies and gils on black lake or any place in that area...still no safe ice here...any info on where to s
tart would be greatly appreciated as I have not fished this area much through the ice....thanks...tight lines...stay safe
  I know they are fishing (and catching) on eel bay. Check the eel bay thread. it will be very helpful to you.

Offline slabstalker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #361 on: Jan 03, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Thanks plowman

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #362 on: Jan 03, 2012, 05:22 PM »
Thinking Red Lake, thurs any reports wood help.
  Thanks guys.

hinkydo

Offline uplandguide

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #363 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:24 PM »
Probably some ice but be careful. Was open water last week.  Red Lake has a hard time starting ice, but it's my favorite to fish.  I'll be there next week.

Offline wild1ce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #364 on: Jan 03, 2012, 07:43 PM »
any ice on black lake and is anyone gettin any crappies and gills?

Offline Dorrski12

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #365 on: Jan 03, 2012, 10:05 PM »
black lake is good to go.  out all last weekend crapies and gills were hitting pretty steady
I'd rather be ice fishing

Offline Tug Hill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #366 on: Jan 04, 2012, 01:46 AM »
Where's there a good spot to park and start from on Black Lake ? Walking so road side is ok. First time up to Black so I could use a little help.
It's not how many breaths you take, but rather what takes your breath away that counts.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #367 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:25 AM »
Where's there a good spot to park and start from on Black Lake ? Walking so road side is ok. First time up to Black so I could use a little help.
Pretty limited access to Black Lake.  For what and how are you fishing?  Walking or motorized?
Access at Chapman's if you buy bait and ask.  Access at the state boat launch.  Access at Rollaway Bay.  That's pretty much it unless you are staying at a campground or have some permission somewhere.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #368 on: Jan 04, 2012, 06:17 AM »

I would start at Rollway Bay.  It is fairly easy walk and you can get on the fish without wheels.
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline keukaperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #369 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:21 AM »
Looking at booking a cabin for a long weekend on Black Lake the weekend of the 14th... I see on the chamber of commerce page there are a few places that offer year round lodging such as Rogers, McClears, Butternut and Pleasant view... I stay at the Cabins every Spring but have no experience with any of these other places... any tips on these or others would be greatly appreciated!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #370 on: Jan 04, 2012, 08:26 AM »
On one of my favorite spots in massena today, FINALLY.. this here is big pike water :D

Offline Tug Hill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #371 on: Jan 04, 2012, 10:01 AM »
I would start at Rollway Bay.  It is fairly easy walk and you can get on the fish without wheels.
Jascpa099 - FishForPike thanks for the heads up. It's nice to have an idea where to start when your traveling so far to get somewhere yur not familiar with. THANKS !
It's not how many breaths you take, but rather what takes your breath away that counts.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #372 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:16 AM »
Jascpa099 - FishForPike thanks for the heads up. It's nice to have an idea where to start when your traveling so far to get somewhere yur not familiar with. THANKS !

As a caution at Rollway, be careful when you get out past the edge of the bay.   There is a strong current that runs through there and I've seen CONSIDERABLE ice differences.  Use caution your first time. 
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline appleman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #373 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:20 AM »
Headin up to black lake sat and Sunday. I would appreciate any info on baitshops in the area and anyother tips. We will be staying at butternut cove. Thanks!
Team Roundhole LLC....

Offline pikepauly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #374 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:22 AM »
where is black lake?

Offline relaxr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #375 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:40 AM »

Does anyone have a report on ice thickness and conditions on Sandy Pond (Oswego County)?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #376 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:43 AM »
Headin up to black lake sat and Sunday. I would appreciate any info on baitshops in the area and anyother tips. We will be staying at butternut cove. Thanks!
You will drive right by Chapman's Sport Shop on your way in; he's right on the Black lake Lake Raod a couple miles out of Hammond.
Good luck.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #377 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:45 AM »
where is black lake?

Black Lake
Lot's of information and reports on here - do some searching and you will be rewarded.  Many of us get tired of posting the same info over and over.  Look around the forum for some info.

Offline stevoxc700

• IceShanty Rookie
  • slinging on the north shore
« Reply #378 on: Jan 04, 2012, 11:49 AM »
hows the ice on tupper lake?......thinking about venturing up there this week hows the bite? any suggestions? thanks

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #379 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:30 PM »
hows the ice on tupper lake?......thinking about venturing up there this week hows the bite? any suggestions? thanks
there may be some fishable bays by now, but unless you know where you are going you can get into trouble quick. I wont send any body out there yet, it was 90% open 2-3 days ago. there is fishable water in the area though.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #380 on: Jan 04, 2012, 12:52 PM »

Does anyone have a report on ice thickness and conditions on Sandy Pond (Oswego County)?

Check the Sandy Pond thread... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline stevoxc700

• IceShanty Rookie
  • slinging on the north shore
« Reply #381 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:02 PM »
there may be some fishable bays by now, but unless you know where you are going you can get into trouble quick. I wont send any body out there yet, it was 90% open 2-3 days ago. there is fishable water in the area though.

thanks any suggestion on where a good starting point would be to get onto the ice?.....ive been ice fishing for 15 years and never made it to tupper lake so i wanna give it a shot, thanks

Offline flyguyonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #382 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:10 PM »
Checked Greene Point today, still only about an inch and half on Sandy Pond.......soon. ;D
The fishing's better when everything is hard.

"Everyone's got a plan until they get punched in the mouth"

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #383 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:19 PM »
Checked Greene Point today, still only about an inch and half on Sandy Pond.......soon. ;D

Weird I didn't know there was a sandy pond in northern ny

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #384 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:23 PM »
Dont know but cant wait til i can hit the water. Just got new vex fl20 double vision. Been thinkin bout a sonar and sacked up and bought the best i could find
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline dan_lais

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • NORTHERN!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #385 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:27 PM »
the term sacked up is hialrious  ;D

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #386 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:28 PM »
plenty of ice to be had in the dacks prob get out a few days this coming week...
Tight Lines and Flags!

Offline mcboatsret

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • U.S. Navy MasterChief Boatswain's Mate Retired
« Reply #387 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:32 PM »
Weird I didn't know there was a sandy pond in northern ny

Well now....if you look on the small water/jefferson county thread Sandy Pond is listed and last time I knew that was pretty much Northern New York.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline ewelcher1986

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #388 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:37 PM »
Sounds great. What lakes in the daks are hittin good. Pm me if u want with any good info
Tight lines. Ice 'em and be safe

Offline jlaclair

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • take a kid outdoors
« Reply #389 on: Jan 04, 2012, 04:54 PM »
Sounds great. What lakes in the daks are hittin good. Pm me if u want with any good info

where you located?
Tight Lines and Flags!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.