New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373087 times)

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #180 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:14 PM »
well, i went out today, caught a bunch of small perch.  i went off a little while after the sun went up, cause the cracks started leaking water, and my hole was sinking, and i was only sitting on two inches or so of ice.  but it was great to get out and fish finally.   couldnt get out to where the crappie hang out, the ice was too thin out there

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #181 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:18 PM »
Planning a trip to chaumont or guffin this season for some eyes . I live over by champlain and lake george ,thought about getting a few guys together to make the the treck west if i get some takers maybe we can put together a iceshanty meet and greet on the ice i think prchslyr would be game and a few others i you guys would have the company.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #182 on: Dec 18, 2011, 02:25 PM »
went out this morning to fill a last min. tag and found myself heading to the water afterwards to check ice. found some promising looking hardwater stood on 2" but i think i will wait for a little while longer  although it didnt crack under my weight .

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #183 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:54 AM »
BLACK LAKE:

Never fished this lake before but looking to hit some hardwater next week (hopefully) and am pondering Black as a possible destination before I tie a rope to a tree, light a cigarette with a blindfold and inch my way out on the St. Lawrence. My question is where would my safest (ice conditions / 1st ice wise) bet be on that lake also I hear that access is limited as well. Interested in gill and crappie action, any info appreciated.

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #184 on: Dec 19, 2011, 09:56 AM »
well youll have to go north for ice. i dont now any myself that r safe but in a week or so it will be game on!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #185 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:38 AM »
BLACK LAKE:

Never fished this lake before but looking to hit some hardwater next week (hopefully) and am pondering Black as a possible destination before I tie a rope to a tree, light a cigarette with a blindfold and inch my way out on the St. Lawrence. My question is where would my safest (ice conditions / 1st ice wise) bet be on that lake also I hear that access is limited as well. Interested in gill and crappie action, any info appreciated.

I doubt you will find a way onto Black Lake next week.  Possible, if the forecast changes; but not too likely.  What iced over Saturday night is now all but gone with this wind and heat.  >:(

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #186 on: Dec 19, 2011, 10:49 AM »
I doubt you will find a way onto Black Lake next week.  Possible, if the forecast changes; but not too likely.  What iced over Saturday night is now all but gone with this wind and heat.  >:(

wont find any on the st lawrence either. not in a week. not in two weeks.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #187 on: Dec 19, 2011, 11:09 AM »
HERE WE GO!

A buddy of mine calls and says  "what are you doing tommorrow ?"  I says why ?  He says"  We just got done checking for ICE and we have 1" of solid ice in this particular bay on the St. Lawrence and he says we are heading there in the morning"  He continued to say you will need to wear hip waders because there is about 6 feet from the bank to the 1" thick ice .  :P

Now I LOVE ICE FISHING as much as anyone but when I hear I will need hip waders to get to 1" of ICE, well I AM OUT......    I told them to call me and let know how they do, if they are still alive ??

Crazy chances I will not take.  3" solid ice is the minimum I will fish on and even then someone bigger then me (I am 210lbs) will be leading the way!

Can't wait for the call tommorrow to see how it went.

Offline joey

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Cold Water Curl!!!
« Reply #188 on: Dec 19, 2011, 01:53 PM »
HERE WE GO!

A buddy of mine calls and says  "what are you doing tommorrow ?"  I says why ?  He says"  We just got done checking for ICE and we have 1" of solid ice in this particular bay on the St. Lawrence and he says we are heading there in the morning"  He continued to say you will need to wear hip waders because there is about 6 feet from the bank to the 1" thick ice .  :P

Now I LOVE ICE FISHING as much as anyone but when I hear I will need hip waders to get to 1" of ICE, well I AM OUT......    I told them to call me and let know how they do, if they are still alive ??

Crazy chances I will not take.  3" solid ice is the minimum I will fish on and even then someone bigger then me (I am 210lbs) will be leading the way!

Can't wait for the call tommorrow to see how it went.

Haha I love the early ice / last ice bloopers (non injury ones of course).... Stupidest last ice I was on was in a canal 1 1/2'' of milk white ice, had to cross over 8-10' of plank board from shore to get out there and then layed sideways to fish... and there were man made split wooden posts under us that would have impailed us if we went through. All for 5 bluegills that day, now that's stupid!

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #189 on: Dec 19, 2011, 02:03 PM »
Planning a trip to chaumont or guffin this season for some eyes . I live over by champlain and lake george ,thought about getting a few guys together to make the the treck west if i get some takers maybe we can put together a iceshanty meet and greet on the ice i think prchslyr would be game and a few others i you guys would have the company.

I'd enjoy meeting some folks from the shanty over here, we'll get a group of guys together and pound some perch, bbq up some venison and shoot the bull. if ya'll are interested think up some dates and I'll keep ya posted on the fishing conditions.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #190 on: Dec 19, 2011, 04:07 PM »
I'd enjoy meeting some folks from the shanty over here, we'll get a group of guys together and pound some perch, bbq up some venison and shoot the bull. if ya'll are interested think up some dates and I'll keep ya posted on the fishing conditions.
I'll be up for that one - keep us posted.
btw - I heard the other day that the perch were getting "beat to death" in the bay by soft water guys! The story I heard was: to the tune of $600/day worth by some enterprising individuals!

Offline cnyiceboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Die hard
« Reply #191 on: Dec 19, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Fishforpike are you talking about Chaumont? If so I herd the samething
A good day fishing inst complete unless it's spent with family or friends.

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #192 on: Dec 19, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Just scratched the ich and it made it even more itchier. Made it out after work on a small lake near home with 2" of black ice still. Got skunked but I still got out.

Offline OneBucketMike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #193 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:15 PM »
btw - I heard the other day that the perch were getting "beat to death" in the bay by soft water guys! The story I heard was: to the tune of $600/day worth by some enterprising individuals!

And that is why there is no 50 perch limit in that county, ehhhh????

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #194 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:17 PM »
Fishforpike are you talking about Chaumont? If so I herd the samething

Yep - but you know how rumors go  ::)

Offline Walleye_Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #195 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:28 PM »

it is possible, and unreasonable.  I understand we have a good fishery and no limit but when you go out everyday to catch fish just to sell them for money, where is the sport in that. to me it is greed and unecessary. Catch what you want to eat and let it be.  there are commercial fisherman to do the job of supplying the local restaurants.
Eat. Sleep. Fish. Repeat.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #196 on: Dec 19, 2011, 05:49 PM »
but many of these fish don't just feed locals restaurants they are shipped all over , by net or by hook what is the difference ,and don't forget there is the rumor mill to deal with and that has been going on long before i was a gleem in some ones eye and there use to be  many netters in my youth ,and the fishery still stands firm and i'm 55 yrs old

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #197 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:04 PM »

Amen Freddie . Anyone who thinks you make 600 a day every day is sadly mistaken . And to you're point of sport I would hassard a guess sport has little to do with it it is a job , a perfectly legal one at that .

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #198 on: Dec 19, 2011, 06:23 PM »
I was just stating what I had heard.  I'm not passing any kind of judgement - if, in fact, (which I doubt) there are some folk catching and selling 600$ worth of perch a day and they are doing it legally, then more power to them.
Nothing stopping you or I (except maybe our jobs) from doing the same.
Like Freddie sez - hook or commercial net - what's the difference to the fishery?  The issue is, that it just goes "against the grain" of many sportsmen.  :-\
And just to have something to discuss while we are waiting on some ICE; where's the state's consumption recommendations in all this?  Do you suppose any of this fish is going to young kids or pregnant women?  How is someone to know.  Is the fish packaged, labeled and sold with the NYS warnings?

Offline goonboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #199 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:13 PM »

Amen Freddie . Anyone who thinks you make 600 a day every day is sadly mistaken . And to you're point of sport I would hassard a guess sport has little to do with it it is a job , a perfectly legal one at that .
thanks dots and f&l for what u said i will say i do fish for them for money and what some people don't understand that its not a given every day job u may get them one day and not the next and 600$ is a little over the hill may be two people together yes but one person no , myself average 100to 175 lbs and the high num is alot of work for one man . this is how i pay my bills and live so some people need to think before they talk , and its getting better now than what it was 5years ago more and bigger fish and many diff year classes to boot  just my .02
lets rip some lips its time to fish

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:18 PM »
There is a difference between hook and net. for the most part fishing with line and hook gives one the ability to decide what to keep and what not to keep, with a pretty successful rate at keeping thrown back fish alive. Nets don't choose what they claim, anything and everything.. and they can be very harmful. Many Midwestern musky and walleye lakes suffer from certain peoples rights to net fish. There was a story with pics floating around the web of a massive fish kill after someone pulled there nets and threw what they didn't want in the woods.. Many many many big muskies and pike were wasted. It was in Minnesota or wisconsin.. I know this is very off topic and it is not directed towards anyone.. Just saying, fishing to obtain large quantities by line and hook as opposed to net.. Big difference.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #201 on: Dec 19, 2011, 07:47 PM »
thanks dots and f&l for what u said i will say i do fish for them for money and what some people don't understand that its not a given every day job u may get them one day and not the next and 600$ is a little over the hill may be two people together yes but one person no , myself average 100to 175 lbs and the high num is alot of work for one man . this is how i pay my bills and live so some people need to think before they talk , and its getting better now than what it was 5years ago more and bigger fish and many diff year classes to boot  just my .02
More power to ya goonboy.  I would not have the get up and go for it.   I used to have a problem with what you do but I have come full circle and believe everyone has a right to fish within the regs.  Myself - I doubt the guys that are fishing for $$$ have any real affect on the fishery.
northernnyice - I understand your point about nets, but I doubt they have any real affect either.  No, I would not like to see the fishkill from an ill-run net - but there is a proper way to do that as well.  The biologists must believe that the commercial fishery is sustainable.

Offline carcaju

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #202 on: Dec 19, 2011, 08:28 PM »
i will stay in touch i will give some calls and see who i can pull together

Offline Walleye_Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #203 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:16 AM »
Im not saying the selling of fish is wrong everyonce in awhile, I live where the fish are caught and sold and know alot about the ups and downs. I also have a relative who was a commercial fisherman for many many years, one of the very few who have the license for it up here.  They are not giving out any new licenses in the future either, once whoever has an issued license passes so does the license. This license cant be turned over, only can be passed down within the family.  By far I agree there is no way it hurts the fishery after ive seen what has been taken commercially over the past many many years. They do use different size nets that allow them only to take certain size fish and the bigger predator fish are not netted or harmed. In regards to what I said I do know a few who do fish for them year around when they can get a job but refuse to because selling fish is much easier for them. When you see 20 plus boats everyday for over a month catching and selling fish that is where I believe it is a bit over the top.  There is no doubt that if netting was legal for all they would not be using fishing poles, they are fishing for quantity.  Thats just my opinion and we all have our own and have our right to stand by our opinions.  As for the processing of the fish, it is done by the individuals who run the fisheries themselves, they do a great job at keeping it clean and safe.  Someone catching 100 - 200 dollars worth around here is average,  Through the ice the most ive ever seen caught by one person is 400 dollars worth one day.  In a boat 600 is possible but deff not one person, one person on a great day is 200-300 dollars worth. We have the greatest fishery in the world here in eastern lake ontario.
Eat. Sleep. Fish. Repeat.

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #204 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:41 AM »
carcaju,   thats a pretty cool idea. I'm interested. I'll keep watching

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Dec 20, 2011, 06:42 AM »
I guess that was fishmans idea. anyway, I like it

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #206 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:08 AM »
Does anyone have an safe ice in the north country to report? I'm headed to watertown for xmas shopping today. Thinking about checking out a few locations on the way. If I find anything worth reporting i'll post. Today's goal, make it out of gander mountain without putting the ol bank account into the red. doubtful but its a goal worth working towards  ;)
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline fishman79

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Can I catch another one daddy?"
« Reply #207 on: Dec 20, 2011, 07:33 AM »
Does anyone have an safe ice in the north country to report? I'm headed to watertown for xmas shopping today. Thinking about checking out a few locations on the way. If I find anything worth reporting i'll post. Today's goal, make it out of gander mountain without putting the ol bank account into the red. doubtful but its a goal worth working towards  ;)
none in jefferson county.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #208 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:08 PM »
maybe
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline bushyjr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Flag
« Reply #209 on: Dec 20, 2011, 01:18 PM »
Perch lake has 1" just left there
Just enjoying life

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.