New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373288 times)

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #120 on: Dec 11, 2011, 05:00 PM »
any updates guys in the north country? lets keep this thread at the top all winter. dont look like much here its gotta get colder and stay colder.
Waiting for the "cold" to come.  :(

Offline cstone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Any one know if theres any ice on Cranberry yet??? the ponds here in colton are alllocked up but not fishable barely any ice on the lakes.  :tipup:

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #122 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:47 PM »
I would be willing to bet no, but anything that is locked or beginning to lock will be a week or two out yet.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #123 on: Dec 11, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Any one know if theres any ice on Cranberry yet??? the ponds here in colton are alllocked up but not fishable barely any ice on the lakes.  :tipup:

I would say not yet, thats a large lake with a lot of wind.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #124 on: Dec 11, 2011, 07:50 PM »
I would be willing to bet no, but anything that is locked or beginning to lock will be a week or two out yet.

That would depend on how cold we can "make" it :P  Not really cold for the next 10 day forecast.  They could be wrong though - it's been known to happen now and then.  ;D

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Dec 11, 2011, 08:01 PM »
You are right...we are in for a ride yet again.

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Dec 12, 2011, 10:06 AM »
Just looked at the weather forecast for the week...depressing! We need some 10-20 degree nights and no wind to get this show on the road. Any info on an adk ponds? Osgood locked up yet?
Get out of the house...go fishing!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #127 on: Dec 12, 2011, 01:20 PM »
I remember a season - many moons ago; maybe late 80s-early 90s that we had a fall season like this.  I was working on a dairy farm and was plowing corn stubble till December 22 or 23.  THEN - the following AM the temps fell like to -20 and stayed there for a good long time - like 2 weeks.
Now that will make some ice - and it also makes plowing just impossible  :woot:
So don't give up hope and keep those positive thoughts about "C-O-L-D".   ;D

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #128 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:26 PM »
looks like colder weather isnt on its way.  hunting season is done now so  i couldnt want ice more. im aiming for the first week or two of jan

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #129 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:29 PM »

whats locked up in colton?? i see none of it. and these lakes you speak of? i wasnt aware we had any in colton

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Dec 12, 2011, 11:35 PM »
it will be a while yet for cranberry. like was said, its too warm and cranberry gets some wind. we need calm windless snowless below zero weather for a couple weeks. hah what are those odds?

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #131 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:24 AM »
whats locked up in colton?? i see none of it. and these lakes you speak of? i wasnt aware we had any in colton

I think he said something about "ponds"  -  anyways the weather that's on the way for today and tomorrow should take care of most any ice there may happen to be.  >:(

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #132 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:30 AM »
as a distraction... who has seen the picture of the musky caught out of the river on Sunday? unbelievable!   check out northcountrynow.com fish and game photos for a link to the story. that captain has had good couple of years now....the best part was he was released so I will catch him next year when he is a record breaker!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #133 on: Dec 13, 2011, 10:42 AM »
as a distraction... who has seen the picture of the musky caught out of the river on Sunday? unbelievable!   check out northcountrynow.com fish and game photos for a link to the story. that captain has had good couple of years now....the best part was he was released so I will catch him next year when he is a record breaker!
Can't seem to find that pic/article - got a link?
Tis the ultimate time for fish'n big muskier though.  Did it years ago, the old timer that took me out said - "time to go out when the water slaps the hull and freezes and there is snow in the air".  He was pretty accurate  @)

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #135 on: Dec 13, 2011, 05:43 PM »
all we need is a little artic breeze for a couple of days to get us on

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #136 on: Dec 13, 2011, 06:45 PM »
all we need is a little artic breeze for a couple of days to get us on
That sure would be nice but; I think the breeze we are about to get for the next two days is more like a tropical one -  :%$#!:

Offline thetrigger22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Great thread. I was sick of sorting through all the western and central NY threads trying to find feedback on how everyone was doing. Now I have a "go to" thread. I spend my ice time on Black, Red, Moon, Grass, Millsite, and various other lakes in my local area. I can't leave out the mighty St. Lawrence as well. Looking to make the trip up to Cranberry again this year too.

This weather situation really sucks currently. Accuweather's extended forecast for my area has the temps not rising above 16 at night the 22nd-27th though so I'm hopeful that pans out. There was a 7 degree night in there too! Maybe I'm just a little too hopeful the weather man will actually bring me good news.

Happy waiting everyone!

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #138 on: Dec 13, 2011, 07:55 PM »
Great thread. I was sick of sorting through all the western and central NY threads trying to find feedback on how everyone was doing. Now I have a "go to" thread. I spend my ice time on Black, Red, Moon, Grass, Millsite, and various other lakes in my local area. I can't leave out the mighty St. Lawrence as well. Looking to make the trip up to Cranberry again this year too.

This weather situation really sucks currently. Accuweather's extended forecast for my area has the temps not rising above 16 at night the 22nd-27th though so I'm hopeful that pans out. There was a 7 degree night in there too! Maybe I'm just a little too hopeful the weather man will actually bring me good news.

Happy waiting everyone!
Accuweather predicts their weather with dice...changes constantly and their forecast is totally different from what NOAA (nws.noaa.gov) predicts.

Offline thetrigger22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Dec 13, 2011, 08:49 PM »
I've seen and heard the same with the NWS as well as weather.com. I'm dying to get out there so maybe I'm a sucker. Lets just hope for cold.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:14 PM »
possibly largest musky ever released at 60x29.5 rich clarke is a true pro he trolls up so many giant muskies in clayton

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #141 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:19 PM »
I think he said something about "ponds"  -  anyways the weather that's on the way for today and tomorrow should take care of most any ice there may happen to be.  >:(
twas my buddy cody i was just ragging on him. and for the sake of argument, he did indeed mention the lakes that we do not have lol. nothing can be done about the ice, do a little walleye fishing i guess

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #142 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:21 PM »
possibly largest musky ever released at 60x29.5 rich clarke is a true pro he trolls up so many giant muskies in clayton
what a beauty of a fish, 50+in muskie is on the bucket list i've started to develop in my young life

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #143 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:38 PM »
what a beauty of a fish, 50+in muskie is on the bucket list i've started to develop in my young life

me too. im obsessed. hered my closest to date. 49.25"

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #144 on: Dec 13, 2011, 09:47 PM »
ill try to post a bigger picture. i dont know why its so small lol. got her to eat a topraider which was cool that my biggest ski came on topwater. pre-frontal conditions. my dad is in the 50" club, and so is one of my friends who is younger than me, TWICE. Its definitely not an easy club to be in though hah, it takes a lot of time on the water... a lot. lol

Offline plowman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #145 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:49 AM »
I fish with Rich Clark from time to time. Known him a long time. He is a master at hunting down big muskies. Certainly does put his time in. When everyone else is coming off the water cause of rough seas, Rich is heading out. That is one beautiful fish, and he deserves it. Best thing is, it still lives oh.

Offline icepike26

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:53 AM »
Icepike26 checking in now hunting season is over.  I fish the mighty st. lawrence river from alex bay all the way up to massena, black lake chaumont bay....can't wait for first ice been going through all my gear getting ready
FRABILL RANGER XL TWIN FLIPOVER
ARCTIC ARMOR PLUS SUIT
BAFFIN ARCTIC SERIES BOOTS 
ESKIMO AUGER
HT HUSKY WOODEN TIP UPS
POLARIS SPORTSMAN 500HO
BUDDY HEATER
ICE HUNTER SERIES 24" ULTRA-LIGHT COMBO
ICE HUNTER SERIES 26" MEDIUM COMBO

Offline johnnycd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #147 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Awesome fish!  If that doesn't give you the fever nothing will.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #148 on: Dec 14, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Icepike26 checking in now hunting season is over.  I fish the mighty st. lawrence river from alex bay all the way up to massena, black lake chaumont bay....can't wait for first ice been going through all my gear getting ready
Glad to see you back Icepike.  Hope to get together on the ice a little this season.  Maybe my first trip to Chaumont will be with you?   @)

Offline Aminitaverosa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #149 on: Dec 14, 2011, 11:20 AM »
i just went out and checked my local ice.  the most i found was 2.5" anybody have any more ice than that?  my buddy is coming up this weekend to ice fish, and we have no safe ice :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.