New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Northern NY Thread!  (Read 373080 times)

Offline Walleye_Whisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Northern NY Thread!
« Reply #90 on: Dec 04, 2011, 08:26 AM »
aren't the eyes last ice ? along with mud bay ?

if you know the right places eyes are all season.  Mud bay is always last ice, essentially because of its production of safe ice is never usually till the end of the season, very end of season.  Ive seen too many people with there ATVs enter the big drink the past couple of years at Mud.  Its not rare to be Janruary and not even having 3 inches there. 
Eat. Sleep. Fish. Repeat.

Offline rlowery

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:30 PM »
So glad to see this NNY thread. I'm back to the shanty and waiting to get out there. Cant wait to hit Black lake and also would like to try fishing the river in Massena this year, never been past coles creek.
"Don't take any wooden nickels"
Oswego,NY  CU Alum ~Go Golden Knights~

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Dec 06, 2011, 07:23 AM »
As I sit here on my day off drinking coffee and staring out the window wishing there was ice to be fishing I was thinking about new ice I would like to try this year. A place that came to mind is osgood pond near paul smiths. Anyone have any experience with this pond? First ice there very soon?
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:28 AM »
good thread! fish the st. lawrence religously. the walleye bite is on right NOW certain spots. i just got a 9 pounder the other day ill post pic. fish cranberry too for trophy pike. fish the raquette reservoirs too considering its my hometown waters. not great fishing though. whoever started this thread i see they are from canton. that is the most local i have seen to me.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #94 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:29 AM »
Don't forget Star Lake.  ;)
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Dec 06, 2011, 10:36 AM »
by the way, how ya been ice dog? we gotta get together on chatty this winter. maybe the derby

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #96 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:18 AM »
As I sit here on my day off drinking coffee and staring out the window wishing there was ice to be fishing I was thinking about new ice I would like to try this year. A place that came to mind is osgood pond near paul smiths. Anyone have any experience with this pond? First ice there very soon?

Went to school up ther back in the late 80's.  Fished Osgood alot (was my fav!!!!), but all the info I have is from then so kind of old.  Access if real good and the pike fishing rocked!  No monsters but lots of action.  I was a poor student looking for food so I would perch fish at Lake Clear and catch a bunch of 4 inch dinks, skin them whole and use them on Osgood as dead bait.
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Dec 06, 2011, 11:38 AM »
good thread! fish the st. lawrence religously. the walleye bite is on right NOW certain spots. i just got a 9 pounder the other day ill post pic. fish cranberry too for trophy pike. fish the raquette reservoirs too considering its my hometown waters. not great fishing though. whoever started this thread i see they are from canton. that is the most local i have seen to me.

Great...thanks for the info....I just put the boat away this past week....LOL.  Oh well they will be there in the spring too!  As for now I am hoping to get in some early ice action for them on some local lakes....if only it would get cold!

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Dec 06, 2011, 01:07 PM »
So glad to see this NNY thread. I'm back to the shanty and waiting to get out there. Cant wait to hit Black lake and also would like to try fishing the river in Massena this year, never been past coles creek.

dont bother with massena. theres no fish there haha justt leave that stretch of the river to me.. nah just kiddin. hit coles creek early ice i mean early early when just the back part by the road is frozen. the whole bay wont even be covered shipping channel will be open. day light and dark. you will have a legit chance at a few eyeballs between 8-13 pounds.

Offline FishingForFun2010

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Dec 06, 2011, 03:07 PM »
Went to school up ther back in the late 80's.  Fished Osgood alot (was my fav!!!!), but all the info I have is from then so kind of old.  Access if real good and the pike fishing rocked!  No monsters but lots of action.  I was a poor student looking for food so I would perch fish at Lake Clear and catch a bunch of 4 inch dinks, skin them whole and use them on Osgood as dead bait.

Thanks for the response...I'm going to have to give it a chance this year. Always like trying new waters once in a while with or without success. Looks like the tempatures for canton will be starting to cool off alittle bit. Come on walkable ice!
Get out of the house...go fishing!

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #100 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:18 PM »
Don't forget Star Lake.  ;)

which star lake the one near Theresa on 37 ? I'm glad they have this thread ,cause i like to try different spots just to see if i can cut it ,and i don't keep really big ones they are just for pics ,i like to eat the smaller ones ,but that doesn't mean don't keep them that's just me ,it's the idea of getting a really large eye through a hole in the ice more of a thrill for me  ,like some of the bigger cats ,what a rush

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • NYS Ranger School Alum '09. SUNY ESF Alum '11
« Reply #101 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:24 PM »
Near cranberry lake...where the docks have kicker motors.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #102 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:33 PM »
Near cranberry lake...where the docks have kicker motors.

thanks

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:35 PM »
I hear that the lake has some nice lakers but everytime I have fished there I never landed one...gave up and fished for rockbass instead.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #104 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:38 PM »
I hear that the lake has some nice lakers but everytime I have fished there I never landed one...gave up and fished for rockbass instead.

thats what some buds i know fished there said they were tough but they were pic material , and the craps were hard to find but really nice suspended in deep water , like red lake  craps 

Offline Ranger_bound

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Dec 06, 2011, 04:54 PM »
I haven't fished red lake in a looooooong time. A good friend has a camp right by the state boat launch. How I would love to fish that lake again, added to the list.

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #106 on: Dec 06, 2011, 05:04 PM »
tons of structure for a small lake and the gills are  :o

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Hey guys. I'm in the Rochester area and I'm planning for a few days on the St. Lawrence in February. I've never ice fished the river before. I've sort of got my choices whittled down to perhaps Coles Creek area near Massena or Wheathouse Bay near Ogdensburg. I'm not married to either of these locations and I'm really open to suggestions. I just want to try and find some productive fishing in the extreme reaches of northern New York. Primarily I'm a Walleye guy and I have a small Clam shanty so the Walleye night bite is definitely not out of the question. Perch would be my plan B. I understand the Pike fishing can be nuts so, just for some action, that might be a good plan C if after a couple days I'm not having luck on the eyes. If anyone's willing to throw some info and/or advice my way, I'd love to hear it. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole. I'll buy topo maps and scope out good looking spots but GENERAL locations would really be appreciated. I've got no snowmobile or ATV and I'd be hoofin' it so that's a factor as well. Thanks a bunch in advance guys. I'll keep an eye on the PM's too.
Thanks again.

Bob Beeley
Irondequoit, NY

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #108 on: Dec 06, 2011, 06:17 PM »
Hey guys. I'm in the Rochester area and I'm planning for a few days on the St. Lawrence in February. I've never ice fished the river before. I've sort of got my choices whittled down to perhaps Coles Creek area near Massena or Wheathouse Bay near Ogdensburg. I'm not married to either of these locations and I'm really open to suggestions. I just want to try and find some productive fishing in the extreme reaches of northern New York. Primarily I'm a Walleye guy and I have a small Clam shanty so the Walleye night bite is definitely not out of the question. Perch would be my plan B. I understand the Pike fishing can be nuts so, just for some action, that might be a good plan C if after a couple days I'm not having luck on the eyes. If anyone's willing to throw some info and/or advice my way, I'd love to hear it. I'm not looking for anyone's honey hole. I'll buy topo maps and scope out good looking spots but GENERAL locations would really be appreciated. I've got no snowmobile or ATV and I'd be hoofin' it so that's a factor as well. Thanks a bunch in advance guys. I'll keep an eye on the PM's too.
Thanks again.

Bob Beeley
Irondequoit, NY

Well, you've already got a good tip for Coles Creek.  ;D  Wheathouse Bay in Ogdensburg can be good and it can be a deathly slow.  Has a decent night walleye bite often.  Perch are tough there most of the time.  It's a small bay with a definite drop from 6 ft to 22' for a few hundred yards.  The walleye come from the depths in the evening to the shallows to feed.  I fish that bay often, in the evening, after work.
Coles Creek and Brandy Brook can both produce decent Pike.
All these spots are easy for folks on foot.

Offline ICE DOG 69

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #109 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:30 AM »
Have fished Coles Creek for over 25 years and every year the fishing there is the same old story, good first ice then it peders off so bad I don't keep a shanty there any more.  There are much better choices, The Bay is better in my opinion outside of waddington.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #110 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:41 AM »
Have fished Coles Creek for over 25 years and every year the fishing there is the same old story, good first ice then it peders off so bad I don't keep a shanty there any more.  There are much better choices, The Bay is better in my opinion outside of waddington.
Maybe this year will be better - hope -  :P

Offline NNYIceangler

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #111 on: Dec 07, 2011, 10:04 AM »
which star lake the one near Theresa on 37 ? I'm glad they have this thread ,cause i like to try different spots just to see if i can cut it ,and i don't keep really big ones they are just for pics ,i like to eat the smaller ones ,but that doesn't mean don't keep them that's just me ,it's the idea of getting a really large eye through a hole in the ice more of a thrill for me  ,like some of the bigger cats ,what a rush

You are thinking of Crystal lake, on Rt 37 in Redwood (town of theresa).

Offline Codywojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Dec 07, 2011, 03:04 PM »
Looking forward to hammering Lakers and Perch on 4th Lake

Offline PMacK3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Dec 07, 2011, 04:19 PM »

Looking forward to hammering Lakers and Perch on 4th Lake

I hear that!

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #114 on: Dec 07, 2011, 07:49 PM »
Awesome thread!  I'm from Rochester as well and have many friends up north who work for Credo Community Center.  I'm starting my plans for a 3-5 day trip this season, not sure if it will be early or late ice.  I've been doing some limited research and have so far found these water's to be preferable considering size, depth, structure and more important species available.  My first choice is Black River Bay targeting walleye and perch, clear lake, red lake and sixtown pond crystal lake.  Will be targeting walleye exclusively because I catch perch down here on sodus and pike and musky on conesus where I live like its my job.  If anybody can help me out perhaps pointing me to where I may have better chances of success I would greatly appreciate it.  The information in this thread has been more helpful than anything I've found so far on the internet, so thanks for that! 
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline bosco2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Dec 09, 2011, 11:15 AM »
If anyone up Adirondacks way want to give any reports on the small lakes or ponds I'd appreciate it. Particularly in the tri-lakes region. I know there's a nice healthy cold snap on right now up there and I'm wondering what the prospects might be for next week. Wouldn't mind sneaking a Friday off and heading up Thursday night. 

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #116 on: Dec 09, 2011, 09:20 PM »
hasn't been overly cold durring the days up here , we need some cold days to keep and add onto the ice that is being made at night.

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #117 on: Dec 10, 2011, 04:56 AM »
hasn't been overly cold durring the days up here , we need some cold days to keep and add onto the ice that is being made at night.
Are the smaller lakes, like Colby, froze over?  Seems, if they are, with the cold nights coming the ice would thicken.  :P

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Dec 11, 2011, 04:41 PM »
any updates guys in the north country? lets keep this thread at the top all winter. dont look like much here its gotta get colder and stay colder.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #119 on: Dec 11, 2011, 04:44 PM »
Chunks of ice floating in Three Mile Bay this afternoon, appeared to be between one half and one inch thick....
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.