Author Topic: Insulating an Aluminum Shack  (Read 2950 times)

Offline WaddyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
Insulating an Aluminum Shack
« on: Apr 29, 2021, 08:11 AM »
How's it going everyone this is my first post on the forum. I have a question I can't seem to find the answer to anywhere else on the internet. I just ordered a mission 6x10 aluminum shack for next season. It'll be a while before its here but I am planning out the interior build already. My question is, has anyone insulated one of these themselves before? I was thinking about going with some foam board. Nothing too thick because I am going to put a wood stove in it so I don't think condensation will be a huge issue, and I also want to keep it light. If any of you have used foam board, I am wondering if you cut the pieces and put them in between the aluminum framing on the walls, or if you just attached full sheets over the framing, since there are so many studs on each wall. I'll attach a picture for reference. should I even bother insulating it at all? Let me know what you think. Thanks

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
Re: Insulating an Aluminum Shack
« Reply #1 on: Apr 29, 2021, 06:51 PM »
I would go with some sort of styrofoam, pink panther or Reflectix but cover it with 1/4 inch Luaun ply if you can afford it.  Don't forget the heat shield between the wall and floor by the stove.

Offline Watertooner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Apr 29, 2021, 07:21 PM »
Any exposed metal that is directly connected to the outside temps will drip condensation so keep that it mind with your project. Good luck!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Apr 30, 2021, 09:02 AM »
Don't know how much money you want to spend, but you could have it spray-foamed. A lot of guys here do that to their shells. There are even kits that will do around 6-700 sq ft for about $600. You also need to lay out all electricl lines/switches before you do that, of course.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #4 on: Apr 30, 2021, 09:44 PM »
WaddyICE welcome to Ice Shanty.  Personally never have converted a trailer into a shanty or built a hard sided shanty but from what I've read here on Ice Shanty over the years in agreement with the comments posted so far in reply to your question. Give You Tube a look good chance you will find some trailer to ice shanty conversion videos. Being a website dealing with ice fishing things are slow here at this time of year and replies to your question will be limited.  Best to you with this project.
Please post updates and photos as your build progresses.

Steve

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2021, 06:32 AM »
Waddyice welcome to the shanty, I agree with mr.clean.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2021, 06:56 AM »
Since you are stepping up and spending the money for a nice aluminum shack you will want to do it right, that thing will last for a couple of generations. You will want insulation, I like foam for lots of applications, but unless it was applied so it would not stick out past the frame (making it difficult to sheet-over) I would consider using the foam board, it is easy to work with, put it between the framing, then sheet with a thin covering of your choice, something to protect the insulation that can be wiped down to keep clean.  I would highly recommend you have the floor insulated, I would talk to Mission about possibly foaming under the floor during the build.  As was mentioned, put a heat barrier behind and under the wood stove.

I was going to build an 8' X 12' aluminum shack last fall patterned after my wood shack, but after pricing materials decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new one instead, having them finish the interior.  The walls on my unit are insulated with foam board and sheeted over with a very thin aluminum, the floor is foamed underneath.  I later added shelving and built a rack to put firewood in and a place to set things on top.  This picture was taken before I installed the add-ons.

Offline Fisherman 1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish..the other white meat
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 06:43 PM »
Since you are stepping up and spending the money for a nice aluminum shack you will want to do it right, that thing will last for a couple of generations. You will want insulation, I like foam for lots of applications, but unless it was applied so it would not stick out past the frame (making it difficult to sheet-over) I would consider using the foam board, it is easy to work with, put it between the framing, then sheet with a thin covering of your choice, something to protect the insulation that can be wiped down to keep clean.  I would highly recommend you have the floor insulated, I would talk to Mission about possibly foaming under the floor during the build.  As was mentioned, put a heat barrier behind and under the wood stove.

Heck some peoples houses don't look that good.

I was going to build an 8' X 12' aluminum shack last fall patterned after my wood shack, but after pricing materials decided to bite the bullet and ordered a new one instead, having them finish the interior.  The walls on my unit are insulated with foam board and sheeted over with a very thin aluminum, the floor is foamed underneath.  I later added shelving and built a rack to put firewood in and a place to set things on top.  This picture was taken before I installed the add-ons.

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2021, 04:16 PM »
Here is a picture of the inside after most of the finish work.  I put up a wire shelf across all of one side for helmets, ect and built 3 wood shelves at table height to sit a fish finder/drinks, or food on.  There is to be another 8' long rack (purchased, but not installed yet) that will go above the woodstove for drying wet gloves and masks.

WaddyIce,
You have a great base to start out with, what you do with it is up to your imagination, it will be fun designing!

Offline WaddyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 09:10 AM »
Thanks for all the replies everyone, I think I will go with the foam board and cover it over like Skywagon suggested. I do plan to do a heat shield as well for my stove. In order to afford the shack I had to buy it stock, otherwise I would just have them insulate it like you guys mentioned. I also think it will be a fun project to do myself!

Thanks again

Offline WaddyIce

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 09:17 AM »

Thats just the interior look I am going for. I really like that. Thank you for sharing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.