Author Topic: Round tip ups  (Read 3311 times)

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Round tip ups
« on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:31 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has replaced the spools/reels on these. They are too small for my liking.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
Re: Round tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:50 PM »
Name of, photo or link would help.    ;)2

Offline ADKer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2016, 07:52 PM »
Name of, photo or link would help.    ;)2

Frabill, HT, Clam or any like those.  They all have small spools.
"I got a shotgun, rifle & a 4-wheel drive. A Country Boy can survive."
Hank Williams Jr.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #3 on: Dec 31, 2016, 08:11 PM »
It is unfortunate I have none of those.  Just links to larger spools.   May need call for the shaft/axle size?    Good luck.

https://www.fishusa.com/product/HT-Enterprises-Tip-Up-Spools

http://htent.com/catalog/inventory.php?fam=113&cat=75

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:20 PM »
I'm curious if anyone has replaced the spools/reels on these. They are too small for my liking.

You should be able to, no problem. Just find a large spool that will fit on the shaft, probably have to sacrifice a cheap T style to get the spool. You might also have to modify the line guide on some of them, shouldn't be hard though.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 955Actual

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:21 AM »
Instead of starting a new thread, I thought it better to ask it here:

I bought a few Frabill round tip ups. Any techniques for spooling my new tip ups and avoiding a birds nests due to slack? Do you have a good method that you use for spooling these up without help?

Thanks,
Frank

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:27 AM »

I bought a few Frabill round tip ups. Any techniques for spooling my new tip ups and avoiding a birds nests due to slack? Do you have a good method that you use for spooling these up without help?

Thanks,
I don't have the Frabill, But with any tip-up I normally hold the tip up between my legs, hold the line with one hand while using the other to reel up the line.   You could run the line through a book and that would keep the line tight.   :tipup

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2017, 09:54 AM »

Thanks,
Remove the black piece on top then remove the nut below that. Pull down on the spool to remove the spool plus the shaft. Attach the shaft to a cordless drill. Lightly pull the trigger on the drill and begin spooling line.

Offline PazzoCorso

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:08 AM »
I really wish that tip was posted yesterday. I spent last night hand spooling four tip ups last night inch by inch.. 😫  I will hopefully remember next time. Thanks for the tip 👍

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:02 PM »
I really wish that tip was posted yesterday. I spent last night hand spooling four tip ups last night inch by inch.. 😫 

:roflmao: Isn't that the way it always goes.

WS

Offline 955Actual

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:46 PM »
Remove the black piece on top then remove the nut below that. Pull down on the spool to remove the spool plus the shaft. Attach the shaft to a cordless drill. Lightly pull the trigger on the drill and begin spooling line.

Pure genius! Thanks river rat78!  :tipup: It took me about ten minutes to disassemble, load the spool and reassemble the tip up. Going to wait for the wife to get home to show her what you taught me. We struggled with loading our first tip up last Friday working together on it.

Now we just need to get back up to the ice and get after them.

Frank

Offline noam1700

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:54 AM »

I do the same.  Quickest and easiest way that I've found to spool them up.

Offline 955Actual

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2017, 06:20 AM »
Again, instead of starting a new topic (and I know that there are hundreds of conversations already), but while this thread is active I want to ask:

For Walleye (not pike) how does this set up sound for line? I plan to tie a swivel to the end of my tip up line and then set up flouro leaders with a hook on one and and a snap to the other to allow for quick removal. I have steel leaders tied to the tip up line at the moment but, they are only 6" long and I want something longer in flouro. What recommendations do you folks have as to line weight for the flouro as well as length of the leader, size hooks? I was thinking 8# flouro and a single hook instead of trebles. Maybe a couple of beads and a spinner along with split shot.

I know that this topic gets beat to death but I am only going for walleye. If I get a pike on, all fine and good. But, I don't want to rig for simply pike.

Trying to figure out these tip ups.

Thanks for all the advice and for your patience with this 50 year old green horn.
Frank

Offline mvanhank222

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2017, 09:16 AM »
For walleye i would say that would work but stick with #8 or #10 trebles the way walleye chew on the bait i think you get a better hookup ratio.

Offline 955Actual

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2017, 03:30 PM »
For walleye i would say that would work but stick with #8 or #10 trebles the way walleye chew on the bait i think you get a better hookup ratio.

Thank you for your advice.
Frank

Offline latremorej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2017, 11:27 PM »
As for the floro, I have had good luck with 40lb floro leaders for walleye and pike.  After each fish I check the leader and when it starts to get  chewed up, I cut the hook off and re tie further up the leader past the weak part.  I start out with 24" of leader material and replace the whole thing leader when I'm down to about 12"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.