Author Topic: 11 mile update  (Read 2711 times)

Offline tourdrummer

• IceShanty Rookie
11 mile update
« on: Dec 29, 2007, 10:25 AM »
Hey everyone,

Well, OK, I titled this 11 mile update, but I guess I really don't have much to update.  Yesterday a few of us went to 11 mile but got skunked.  The Ice was really thick, and it was bitterly cold.  We were off of Sucker Cove.  Checked it with the fish finder and drilled many holes.  I didn't realize that it was pretty much all 14 feet of water...........Anyway, it was still fun and I hope to get out there and have better luck, or even some luck next time.  We were using white tube jigs, small green larva jibs, we tried a Swedish pimple, all with no luck.  We also put the fish finder in it's own hole for a while and didn't even get one blip on the screen.  Was yesterday just a bad day for everyone, or were we just doing someting way wrong?

Anyway, I hope that next time I post I can offer up a real "update', but that's it for now!

Cheers and happy/safe new years!!

Offline Ranger7442

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 11 mile update
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2007, 10:14 PM »
I fished 11 mile on Friday.  I was fishing out on Stoll Mtn on the flat with the weedbeds.  The Trout fishing was slow.  The littlins were biting but nothing big was iced.  We did catch a small pike on a dog.  I thought my auger was dull cuz it took us forever to drill holes.  Took a while to cut out a 10 inch hole.  I am heading back out next wednesday.  I usually only fish 11mile for the pike.  The trout just pass the time while I check on my tip up.   I heard rumors the big browns were on the prowl.  I wish I had the skills to catch big browns.... just cannot get it done.  I am jigging meal worm tipped jigs, and drowning worms on a hook and a colored bead.  Any tips to catching trout would be appreciated. 

I guess I am reporting as much as you did.  I always see the pics and hear the stories about the big fish in 11mile, but just have not closed the deal yet.  That is the draw that will have me making the drive again on Wednesday.  My nephew is going with me, so I need to find some trout to keep him busy.  We'll see.   

Offline tourdrummer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2007, 10:41 AM »
Thanks for dropping a line Ranger.

I'm sorry to say that my experience at 11 mile is much like yours.  The summer experience I have is great though.  Fishing at night with worm, marshmellow, and eggs on one hook.  BIG trout, but only at night.   Other than that.............good luck to you.  I'll post more after our trip out there as well!!

Cheers,

I fished 11 mile on Friday.  I was fishing out on Stoll Mtn on the flat with the weedbeds.  The Trout fishing was slow.  The littlins were biting but nothing big was iced.  We did catch a small pike on a dog.  I thought my auger was dull cuz it took us forever to drill holes.  Took a while to cut out a 10 inch hole.  I am heading back out next wednesday.  I usually only fish 11mile for the pike.  The trout just pass the time while I check on my tip up.   I heard rumors the big browns were on the prowl.  I wish I had the skills to catch big browns.... just cannot get it done.  I am jigging meal worm tipped jigs, and drowning worms on a hook and a colored bead.  Any tips to catching trout would be appreciated. 

I guess I am reporting as much as you did.  I always see the pics and hear the stories about the big fish in 11mile, but just have not closed the deal yet.  That is the draw that will have me making the drive again on Wednesday.  My nephew is going with me, so I need to find some trout to keep him busy.  We'll see.   

Offline Ranger7442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:05 PM »
Okay, fresh back from the 11mile.  Same reservoir, same result. No fish.  Was on the ice at 7 am, left around 4pm.  I just flat out cannot trick a trout to bite.  I used lazers, ratsos, pink, orange, chartruese, white jigs, and even plain ole hooks tipped with mealies.  It's like the smell my breath or something.  I put four waterdogs thru medieval torture from 2' out to 16' looking for some pike to put them out of their misery, nothing.  I started out in front of the big rocks that extend out from n'shore, (west of the marina), then moved out to the rocky flats area.  I marked fish but just could not get it done. 
I would like to go out there on Saturday and just see what is working during the tourney.  I usually knock the pike dead in the spring and throughout summer, and I can usually hold my own with trout.  Bu through the ice, is another story.  I think next summer, I am getting in my boat and will explore that lake, and mark anything that looks promising. I have got to be in the wrong locations or something. 

So, not much to report.  I left em all in there for the rest of you.  Good Luck         

Offline Ranger7442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2008, 08:18 PM »
Wow, just read my post.  Sorry for the whining ya'll.

I got to watch the sun rise and set over the Rockies today and didn't hear from the office once.  I even saw the largest herd of 'lopes, I have ever seen, so it was a great day is spite of my fishing ability.  Happy fishing everyone.   

Offline tourdrummer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2008, 09:15 AM »
No Worries Ranger...........

Our family tradition is Ice Fishing on New Years Day.  SO, we were out on 11 mile by 6:30am on New Years Day.  The Temperature guage on the truck read -26!!!!  Yikes.........Anyway, right off the bat we caught two 12-14 inchers........after that.........All Day.........NOTHING... ........we had 7 people in our group, many of which had a second rod stamp.......we were using all kinds of gear and still nothing.  I'm not whining either, and sometimes it's like that.....luck just wasn't with us that day..............I'll go back to 11 mile at some point this year...........and of coarse in the summer.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that your not alone in your luck ...........

Cheers!

Offline Ranger7442

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2008, 11:40 PM »
Hey, I missed the tourney, did anyone find em?  Any updates on the results? 
Was the south side good, or north side?  Any pike?

Offline Switzersland

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Big City turn me loose and set me free...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 08, 2008, 05:54 PM »
The tourney was good, however the incentives are now all but gone unless you sign up for all three events. ( I liked the Goody bag at the mile and the Cap at Three Lakes)  The fishing was good until around noon then....(Cricket SFX).  I landed a nice 2.5 lb rainbow and thought OH BOY! Show me the money! but then all that took the mealies were the 12 to 14 inch rainbows.  4 Fish in all averaging 1 an hour at the mile is a good day. My 3hp 30 model Jiffy wasn't cutting through ice very well either.

Stay safe Cold Footers, and well see you on the Ice.
 :tipup:

ah yeah...we caught'em on...... salmon eggs..........

Offline mcnasty4233

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2009, 11:36 AM »
ive done well on the shallower end of the lake for trout.   west of sucker cove in 10-15ft jigging with a meal worm.  I just can find the norther in the lake..  Fished in 10ft on the north side of the lake and saw a 10+lb rainbow cruze by the hole but not looking at any thing.
fish all day drink all night....!!!!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.