Author Topic: ATV for the Ice  (Read 13566 times)

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ATV for the Ice
« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2007, 06:32 PM »
Hondas have a poor 4wd setup, no Diff lock.

Polaris has CVT belt troubles.

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2007, 10:08 PM »

Sorry but when I hit the 4 X 4 button on my Foreman 450 ES all 4 wheels are ingaged and drive. Never had a problem with it.

Offline tipup57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Sep 14, 2007, 10:44 PM »
Got a 2000 GRIZZLY 600 and its been on the ice every winter with on problems.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Sep 15, 2007, 01:24 PM »
Sorry but when I hit the 4 X 4 button on my Foreman 450 ES all 4 wheels are ingaged and drive. Never had a problem with it.

Get one front wheel off the ground, you'll see the one in the air gets the power. ;)

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Sep 18, 2007, 09:14 AM »

My Polaris runs like a top, not one issue with the belt.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #35 on: Sep 18, 2007, 04:16 PM »
All wheelers have issues, most of them are greatly exaggerated. ::)

My boss has 3 Polaris wheelers with around 18,000 miles combined. He has replaced 1 belt and 2 CV axles in that time. He bought all of those wheelers new and ran the death out of them, three brake downs in 18,000 miles isn't bad for "commercial use" machines if you ask me! My brother in law has two Hondas, I have only seen the smaller one stuck one time. It took 4 full grown men to get it out, no wheeler would have made it. He farms with his Rancher and Foreman, they are NOT trail babies by any means.

The truth is that there is no "bad" wheeler on the market right now, we should feel fortunate to have so many capable machines to choose from. In 1984 you had the choice between the Honda big red or a Kawasaki 3 wheeler! ::)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #36 on: Sep 18, 2007, 05:21 PM »
nicely said skipper ;D

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Sep 18, 2007, 05:26 PM »
Get one front wheel off the ground, you'll see the one in the air gets the power. ;)

I would seriously hope that any ice fishermen would not ever get one front wheel off the ice....

Offline Dihardfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • WISCONSIN GOATS!
« Reply #38 on: Sep 18, 2007, 06:02 PM »
I just bought a Honda Foreman ES 500 this summer.  My dad's had a Honda Rincon for years....absolutely no problems in the snow....goes through everything...really deep stuff.

I also just got back from trail riding/mudding with my buddies and the only quad still living by the end of the trip was my Honda...running like a dream.

2 of the Polaris machines...500's overheated....the 700 Polaris blew out the plastic T coming out of the radiator and lost all of its fluid and I pulled it back to the truck 16 miles... up huge hills and with my 230 pound buddy riding on it....barely knew he was back behind my quad.

Also the 500 Polaris machines had their front compartments completely filled with water from the mudding holes...so waterproof compartments....think again.

And my buddies have had there plastic Polaris racks crack from the cold on the ice in the past...

Oh I almost forgot...my buddy's 400 Artic Cat blew out its front diff. on this trip.

Honda's in general and Foreman's are tough....I would never buy anything else....can't beat the direct drive tranny's...

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Sep 18, 2007, 07:08 PM »
I've got an 1988 Yamaha Big Bear 350 cc.  It has 4 wheel drive but with front differential slip.  Works great for me.  Starts beautifully in -30 degree weather.  I always use the starting rope to start my machine.  My wife uses the starter battery.

The perfect machine does not exist.  All the ATVs made today are good.  It's the driver who makes the difference.  Some people are a bit foolhardy and run into trouble.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You got to Hook-um!  To Cook-um!
« Reply #40 on: Nov 04, 2007, 08:28 PM »
I am very glad to hear this news because i am looking to a ATV for ice fishing. I think a Honda may do the trick but cost is an issue. I would like to know if sleds are heavier then most ATV in the 500 - 600 range?
Thanks
Morrocco Mole :tipup:
Keep 1 pole in the hole....  <;*)}}}}}}}}}}}>&lt;

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #41 on: Nov 05, 2007, 04:48 PM »
Sleds run the range of weights. They have light, small displacement fan cooled sleds that are light as a feather all the way to big bore 2up touring sleds with reverse that weigh allot.

Sleds distribute their weight much better than an atv, so you are much less likely to drop one through. (at least in theory) ;D

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Nov 05, 2007, 11:35 PM »
Also how far back in years should I go when thinking about a Honda, Suzuki, Polaris or Yamaha since these seem to be good? I want took for something in the $3,000.00 to $4,000.00 range as far as price.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Nov 06, 2007, 05:22 PM »
$3000-$4000 should buy you allot of wheeler. Remember though, when they start getting rid of the non current models, sometimes you can get new as cheap as used. I paid $5200 for a new 2006 sportsman 500 in April, and I saw new 2006 Honda 350 Ranchers for $3500! Either way, that kind of budget should get you a nice wheeler in the 04' and newer model range. I personally wait for them to dump the non currents over getting a used machine, but that is your call. Often times people think their used-up-beat-to-death wheeler is worth a few hundred less than they paid for it new. ::) Fact is that you don't know how a used wheeler was treated, so if you buy one make sure you are getting a good deal.

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Nov 07, 2007, 03:59 PM »
You have some great points perhaps I will look at getting a new one. What if i stick to a dealer and grab a used one? Do they have certified ones? Does anyone know it the offer extended warranties with a new or used one?
Morrocco Mole  :tipup:

Offline 97stang

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Nov 07, 2007, 04:18 PM »
never had a problem with my polaris hawkeye. can't beat it for the price[/img]

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #46 on: Nov 07, 2007, 04:20 PM »
Most dealers won't knowingly sell you a piece of junk. They know that all they have is their reputation. Don't even get me started on extended warrenties! Whatever it is, they wont cover it for some stupid reason. >:( I have been burned twice by them, never again! :%$#!:

Offline Morrocco_Mole

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Nov 07, 2007, 04:25 PM »
Thanks for the info about the dealers... I will not worry about a warrenty extention. What year is that bike  97stang?
Skipper - it seems like you really know your stuff, what type of wheeler do you have? I may have missed that post.
Morrocco_Mole

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #48 on: Nov 07, 2007, 04:31 PM »
06 sportsman 500.

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #49 on: Nov 07, 2007, 05:43 PM »
hey stang... you ain't gettin to far in the snow with those bald azzz tires at that wheeler! ???

Offline BlueDuck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Nov 10, 2007, 10:22 AM »
How much ice does it take befor you take your wheeler out on the lake?

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #51 on: Nov 10, 2007, 10:27 AM »
to be safe with a car you need 12-13 inches so say 6-8 ,just a guess  ??? , i don't have an ATV or sled. you make the choice its you investment you would lose if it went through the ice. if it were me nothing under 2 feet would make me even think to bring a vehicle on the ice. most insurance companies don't cover vehilces that go through the ice

Offline 97stang

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 10, 2007, 03:42 PM »
hey stang... you ain't gettin to far in the snow with those bald azzz tires at that wheeler! ???
that is a brand new 06 with 30 miles on it tires are brand new!!

Offline 97stang

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Nov 10, 2007, 03:48 PM »
here is a pic of the back

Offline Hollywood703

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Nov 10, 2007, 06:24 PM »
Need to get some of these:

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1631707/i/swamp_lite.jpg

Had a set of these on MY AC 400 and it gave me 14" of Stock Ground clearance.

Offline polarfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ICE ICE BABY
« Reply #55 on: Nov 10, 2007, 07:22 PM »
dang those tires are sick :o :o :o

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #56 on: Nov 11, 2007, 08:54 PM »
Need to get some of these:

http://i.b5z.net/i/u/1631707/i/swamp_lite.jpg

Had a set of these on MY AC 400 and it gave me 14" of Stock Ground clearance.
how much for a set of 26"?  those are pretty sick.. I was thinking of getting ATP 589's
stang looks better from behind, but if they are the stockies you will need to get chains, at least for the rear tires..  I tore up through 12-15 inches of snow with chains on my wheeler on the back!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.