Author Topic: ATV for the Ice  (Read 13577 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
ATV for the Ice
« on: Sep 05, 2007, 01:02 PM »
I think I might be at the point of pulling the trigger on an ATV for ice fishing.  I live in an area that gets a ton of snow and realize the implications that might cause.  Regardless, I'm looking at either a either a 400+ Honda or Arctic Cat.  The question I have pertains to transmission.  How much more important is it on the ice to have a manual vs. electronic/automatic?  Is this as much of a concern as some would have me believe?  Thanks in advance for your thoughts. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV for the Ice
« Reply #1 on: Sep 05, 2007, 03:41 PM »
Transmission doesn't matter to me. I have two quads and the Honda is a semi auto (push button) and the Arctic Cat is a belt automatic. My Honda goes through the snow much better than the Arctic Cat and the Arctic Cat does better in the mud. Not sure why on both, but it will be your preferance really. Both are 4x4. That is really a must, IMO, but other will say a 2x4 with chains or studs is good too. I've never needed chains or studs with my qauds and I blast through 18" of snow with no problem, although momentum helps  :D  The Honda is a 330 and the A-Cat is a 500. Some people don't care for A-Cats, but I absolutely love mine.

I can do this without any chains or studs and it's unstoppable.

......and a picture to remind everyone what a frozen lake looks like.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Sep 05, 2007, 03:46 PM »
In my uneducated humble opinion, if you aren't racing the dang thing stay with an auto. Check into Polaris, they can go through a ton of snow. All wheelers struggle in snow, if you reeealy think it is a good idea? You can get a used sled for cheap. ;)

I just went through the shopping experience, I bought a wheeler last spring. I talked to a ton of people and looked at allot of machines before I bought mine, and this is what I found out.....

There are allot of very happy Honda owners, but they don't seem to rip through the crud as well as some others. They seem to be extremely reliable and owner friendly, but I had a hard time getting anyone to give me a deal on one.

Most people were happy with their Yamahas, but $$$$$. ;D

Most people with Arctic Cats were trying to sell them to me. :-\

There are very few Kawies and Suzuki's around here, but there are also few dealerships.

I went with a Polaris because most people I talked to that had one loved it. Polaris was an easy choice when I compared price and owner satisfaction.

Go ahead and flame away, I can take it! ;D

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 05, 2007, 05:29 PM »
i like my grizzly 660. its awesome in snow up to 20In,  with rear tire chains.  :-) but if you are talking about piles of snow I would get just a cheap used sled.  unless you think you would do a lot of trail riding in the off-season.  I don't like ARTIC CRAP and I don't like polaris because there front and rear racks are plastic, and I have seen many crack and break out on the lake with the cold temps from being so brittle. As people are strapping stuff to them. etc. MHO  good luck

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Sep 05, 2007, 05:52 PM »
for me the Yamaha's have come highly recommended, they start in any temps.
now is the time to buy an 07 as the 08's are starting to come in (can't be choosy about color)
i had a great offer on the griz 700 (6,200 new) but it was too big for my needs
so i just purchassed the griz-450 last sat (5,500)
i am also going to buy a 66 Rhino, those are the ticket for my biz.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 05, 2007, 06:37 PM »
That's a nice bike. I've never owned a Yamaha, not by choice, but because I just never have. Take some pics of it loaded down with ice fishing gear this winter.
2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Hard Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 05, 2007, 07:51 PM »
well don't know where to start here .. :o

I run a 2004  Polaris500HO in the last few years i have put on almost 5000 miles on the ice never had any problems going though deep snow where i had seen other quads sitting in the snow banks  :tipup: ....

I do have plastic racks and never had one break yet ! besides they don't rust

my next quad will be  a Polaris 500 HO EFI with Matt Tracks for all my deep snow locations ..

I do like the option of the auto if the snow or mud looks a little deep just give it your all chances are you will make it though with out getting stuck as with a manual you have to worry about over reving it or your in the wrong gear..
Hard Ice

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 05, 2007, 07:54 PM »
I reeeeeeeely like the "front trunk" on mine! It has triple the dry storage of any other wheeler I have seen. I thought the plastic racks were stupid to begin with, but now I see they have their advantages.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #8 on: Sep 06, 2007, 06:51 AM »
Thanks guys.  I do understand about the sled vs. ATV thing and I'm not ruling out a sled at some point maybe.  If money were no object, I'd get tracks for an ATV but the cost of a good set is more than the cost of a cheap but still dependable sled if I need to go that route.  We average about 240" of snow a year, temps aren't that bad given our close proximity to Lake Superior.  The manual vs. automatic discussions in the past, if I remember correctly, had to do with colder temps making it more difficult for the automatic trans to work.  The slop issue mentioned above does seem to make more of a case for the autos however.  I've never been a motor/gear guy so I look to others that know about this stuff.  Thanks for the comments. 
Chris Raymond

Offline 1TIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SAFE ICE TO ALL !
« Reply #9 on: Sep 06, 2007, 07:30 AM »
I have an old 94 Yamaha Kodiak that has yet to let me down .
No studded tires but that may be in the near future , there has been a few times that they would have helped but not that many .
I chose the 4 wheeler because they are an all season vehicle and at the time I got it I wasn't in the financial position to consider a sled and an atv .

Go Yamaha you wont be disappointed !

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #10 on: Sep 06, 2007, 10:14 AM »
I've got a Polaris and the automatic system is tough to beat.It has 11" Clarence and gets through that much powder snow with no problem.If the snow is wet or if your breaking through packed or frozen stuff the problems begin .I've had several 4x4s and and once you stare pushing snow and bottoming out and your wheels are off the ice the fun stops!
Unless you've got a big 700 or you put chains on,deep snow on the ice is a killer.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Sep 06, 2007, 06:10 PM »
  The manual vs. automatic discussions in the past, if I remember correctly, had to do with colder temps making it more difficult for the automatic trans to work.  

Polaris and Arctic Cat use the same belt/centrifugal clutch type system as their sleds. This type of system was originally made to run in the cold.

Shipwrecked

« Reply #12 on: Sep 06, 2007, 06:57 PM »
Here r a few pic's of mine....

This one's is my fishing partner getting stuck last ice... :D :D :D :D

Offline madpistoleer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Sep 06, 2007, 07:26 PM »
all the big money machines are nice but my 1985 250 big red three wheeler with chains works just fine. maybe some day a 4wd rig but i get by with with my big red for now..............
Remember! 'I' before 'E' (Except in Budweiser).

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Sep 06, 2007, 07:37 PM »
Polaris and Arctic Cat use the same belt/centrifugal clutch type system as their sleds. This type of system was originally made to run in the cold.
  Skipper, Does Arctic Cat use a wet clutch in their sleds too? I thought their wet clutch was in ATVs only.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rondog

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hudson River Salmon
« Reply #15 on: Sep 07, 2007, 07:21 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

[img]http://photobucket.com/albums/v240/crappiedaddie/100_1428.jpg[/img

The last picture of the 4x4 stuck is exactly what I'm talking about .Last season after the big snow on Valentines day there were machines stuck all over Lake George,in fact there were some that were just left there to be dug out later.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Sep 07, 2007, 07:22 PM »
  Skipper, Does Arctic Cat use a wet clutch in their sleds too? I thought their wet clutch was in ATVs only.

Does AC use 2 different systems? A guy at work just bought one and it has the same setup as my Polaris, only the belt is enclosed in an aluminum case instead of plastic. My dad has an old bearcat that has a wetclutch, I didn't know they still make them like that.

Let me rephrase my statement...

Polaris automatic transmissions are designed to work well in the cold. Their gear cases and also come from the factory filled with synthetic lube that excels in cold temps. The engine is lubricated with 0w40 synthetic oil to aid in cold weather starts. I think Arctic Cat uses a belt system on some of their wheelers too...

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Sep 08, 2007, 10:37 AM »
Does AC use 2 different systems? A guy at work just bought one and it has the same setup as my Polaris, only the belt is enclosed in an aluminum case instead of plastic. My dad has an old bearcat that has a wetclutch, I didn't know they still make them like that.

Let me rephrase my statement...

Polaris automatic transmissions are designed to work well in the cold. Their gear cases and also come from the factory filled with synthetic lube that excels in cold temps. The engine is lubricated with 0w40 synthetic oil to aid in cold weather starts. I think Arctic Cat uses a belt system on some of their wheelers too...

I have an 2005 AC 400 and the clutch runs in the engine oil. The belt is inside the metal case that you describe on the side of the engine and it is always tight. I run 0w40 synthetic in mine also and have no problems with it starting when it is cold. I think they still use the centrifugal clutch in the sleds. I haven't owned a sled since 1978 and it was nothing like the newer ones.

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Sep 08, 2007, 01:44 PM »
Centrifugal clutch running in oil? Never heard of that. I don't think mine has that, it's a 2001. I haven't taken the cover off yet though.
2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline dabber-doo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Dreaming about big gills and crappies !!!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 08, 2007, 11:21 PM »
In my uneducated humble opinion, if you aren't racing the dang thing stay with an auto. Check into Polaris, they can go through a ton of snow. All wheelers struggle in snow, if you reeealy think it is a good idea? You can get a used sled for cheap. ;)

I just went through the shopping experience, I bought a wheeler last spring. I talked to a ton of people and looked at allot of machines before I bought mine, and this is what I found out.....

There are allot of very happy Honda owners, but they don't seem to rip through the crud as well as some others. They seem to be extremely reliable and owner friendly, but I had a hard time getting anyone to give me a deal on one.

Most people were happy with their Yamahas, but $$$$$. ;D

Most people with Arctic Cats were trying to sell them to me. :-\

There are very few Kawies and Suzuki's around here, but there are also few dealerships.

I went with a Polaris because most people I talked to that had one loved it. Polaris was an easy choice when I compared price and owner satisfaction.

Go ahead and flame away, I can take it! ;D

Had Polarasses 4 wheelers and will never have one again. Last time I had a polaris broke down 38 miles from camp and got towed home by a little 350 2 wheel drive Honda rancher. Guess what 2 weeks later last polaris 4 wheeler gone and new honda rincon sitting in garage. Also guess what , and this rincon is now 4 years old and it still has not failed me ever. The polaris 4 wheelers were in the shop reg. never again. HONDA ALL THE WAY FOREVER.
I've was on the ice and fishing Nov. 23rd 2008 and don't plan on stopping tell spring breakup 2009 !!!!

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 09, 2007, 01:21 AM »
Honda is my first choice also. My A-Cat is a good machine, but my Honda has it beat with quality and fit and finish.
2014 Honda Foreman
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #21 on: Sep 09, 2007, 02:18 AM »
in the snow polaris is one of the best, my uncle has had 3 sportsmans (400, 500 and a 700) and they all would go through snow easily. if you have alot of snow i wouldnt get a quad under a 700 because if you hit slush or start breaking through the hardpack with alot of powder on top its nice to have the power to pop the front wheels up to keep it going. but if you have alot of snow dont out rule a sled, i have 3 polaris's and with the snow we get i cant see myslef buying an atv just for ice fishing. you can find sleds dirt cheap and probly still have enough for an atv.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #22 on: Sep 09, 2007, 09:23 AM »
Centrifugal clutch running in oil? Never heard of that. I don't think mine has that, it's a 2001. I haven't taken the cover off yet though.

That was one of the reasons that I bought an AC. You have to try really hard to burn a belt and I don't know if I could with my 400. I also liked the primer on the carburetor for cold starts, but I have never had to use it. As far as fit and finish is concerned, I have no problem as I bought it to use not look pretty.

Offline hippiemick

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Sep 09, 2007, 09:31 AM »
Honda 500 here, auto but has button shifting as well. Very happy with machine. Last year i was given a beat 76 honda 300 [2 wheel drive] Found all the parts need on ebay cheap and she now runs like a top. Put chains on and now my son has a ice fishin machine as well. Nice thing about a Honda parts are easy.

Offline yakk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Sep 09, 2007, 09:52 AM »
im also thinking about an atv for ice fishing + plowing my driveway. my son bought a kawasaki 650 last year, and likes it. but i havent heard any feedback here about them. the son's a motorhead and runs honda motorcycles but said stick with the kawasaki 4x4

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 10, 2007, 12:16 PM »

That pic with the quad stuck wouldn't be on the King after last years snow storm would it ? It looks kind of familiar I had my 450 Foreman stuck just like that, going along about 30 and Wamm you're in 50 yards up to the skid plates,  ;D ;D

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 13, 2007, 03:22 PM »
Polaris 800 EFI 4x4 works great for my ice fishing needs

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Sep 13, 2007, 06:04 PM »
Polaris 800 EFI 4x4 works great for my ice fishing needs

Yeah, and if you find a stuck bulldozer you can pull him out! ;D  That is allot of wheeler!

Offline tipup57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Sep 13, 2007, 09:46 PM »
Got a 2000 GRIZZLY 600 and its been on the ice every winter with on problems.

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Sep 14, 2007, 10:32 AM »
Yeah, and if you find a stuck bulldozer you can pull him out! ;D  That is allot of wheeler!

Got a sweet deal on it so I could not pass it up
Just have to keep it on 4 wheels on the ice.
It is too easy to put on its side on the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.