Author Topic: Kahtoola micro splkes  (Read 4959 times)

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Kahtoola micro splkes
« Reply #30 on: Dec 11, 2016, 02:04 PM »
I may be old school. But I wear korkers with the carbide spikes. They are expensive. Somewhat heavy. But they work good. They are dual purpose too. They work great for wading &  Fishing off the Jetties too. Not an investment that I can only use in the winter !

Offline iowapackfan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 11, 2016, 02:44 PM »
Take mine on and off. Slipped a couple times with yaktrax. Won't go back!
looking to ditch my yaktrax also. I looked at those Eagle Claw online and they pretty much look same design as yaktrax. Would like to look into those hillsound or splurge for the kahtoolas. ??? :tipup:
God,Country, and the Green Bay Packers

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Dec 11, 2016, 07:34 PM »
looking to ditch my yaktrax also. I looked at those Eagle Claw online and they pretty much look same design as yaktrax. Would like to look into those hillsound or splurge for the kahtoolas. ??? :tipup:

You aint looking at the right ones. These look nothing like the Yaktraks.

Eagle claw stainless steel chain cleats.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline Zhitnik44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 12, 2016, 11:39 AM »
sounds like some kind if chemical reaction....
I left my Kahtoola spikes on my Herman Monster boots from Cabela's (ooooh are they warm) from season to season and they were fine. In fact the spikes I purchased were one size small for my boots, which I found out later but I put them on anyway. I love em, no cracked skull.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #34 on: Dec 12, 2016, 01:18 PM »
Has anyone used Icetrekkers? Looking at the diamond grip ones.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Dec 12, 2016, 05:31 PM »
I have Yaktraks.  They aren't great, but will work okay until they wear out. Then I will need to look for something better.  Maybe I will look at the hillsounds or Icetrekkers.  The thing about the Kahtoolas is that they look like they would tear up a carpeted icehouse.

Offline Jake and Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Dec 12, 2016, 05:39 PM »
Has anyone used Icetrekkers? Looking at the diamond grip ones.
Keep it safe! JDL

I have these and they work well on smooth ice. Get a little snow on top and they slip. Because of this I'm looking at getting a set with spikes.

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Dec 12, 2016, 06:13 PM »
I really enjoy mine, but one of the eyelets tore out last year and I had to zip tie it until the offseason. I just sent mine in for the warranty last week so I will be able to comment on their customer service in a few days. So far, they have been very prompt and service has been excellent. Waiting to see on the turn around time and whether or not they give me a brand new pair or just repair the broken one.
Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 12, 2016, 08:11 PM »
Hayes 47 mentioned red material falling apart, never saw katoohlas other than black, I could be wrong.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #39 on: Dec 12, 2016, 08:20 PM »
I went to buy Kahtoollas but saw the Eagle Claws for $20. Used them 3 times now and they kick butt.  We'll see how long they last.

How goes the sizing on those Eagle Claw spikes ? Love my Kahtoolls but $20 as a spare seems reasonable .
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline todalake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 12, 2016, 08:24 PM »
Hayes 47 mentioned red material falling apart, never saw katoohlas other than black, I could be wrong.

Website offers either red or black all sizes.
Clam Base Camp Thermal
Clam Legend Thermal
Nils 6" Lazer 5" & 7"
Ridgid 1300#
Clam Plate/extension

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Dec 12, 2016, 08:49 PM »
I went to buy Kahtoollas but saw the Eagle Claws for $20. Used them 3 times now and they kick butt.  We'll see how long they last.

I bought 2 pairs of the Eagle claws last year, put the one pair on a pair of white mickeys and the sides broke before I even wore them!
I then used another members idea and used a bungee cord in place of the rubber, worked perfect and is way better than the original
Don't remember who posted that with pics., but it is a good way to salvage a set of Kahtoola's if just the rubber breaks, unless they will keep replacing them under warranty. 

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Dec 12, 2016, 09:03 PM »
How goes the sizing on those Eagle Claw spikes ? Love my Kahtoolls but $20 as a spare seems reasonable .
Mine are used on a size 10 Baffin boot and I was advised to get XL. Glad I did, they've never fallen off and they're plenty snug. I just looked at mine and after 1 year of use I see no signs of wear or any dry rot...time will tell. There's 8 spikes on the Eagle Claws and 12 on the Kahtoolas I believe. I feel like I could run on the ice wearing them. For years all I wore was the el cheapo ones that strapped over your toes. These are a huge improvement and probably the kahtoolas are a little better but for $20 I'm happy.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Dec 13, 2016, 08:40 AM »

I wear a size 10-10.5 and got Large.  My boots dont have a lot of insulation, any bigger of a boot and XL would be correct size.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2016, 03:46 PM »
To be fair . I wrote Kahtoola and relayed my sad story about the rotting of the red material. In the email I mentioned I left them on all during the off season. The customer replied that it is not a good idea to leave them installed on the boots.

Now for the good part. Told me to fill out a warranty claim and they would replace the set. I did not ask for or expect a replacement. Just wanted to alert them to a possible problem.

Will keep appraised of situation if I indeed get a replacement pair. Nice to see a company stand behind their product.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #45 on: Dec 16, 2016, 11:07 AM »
I was looking at these and I thought $70.00 was pretty steep. Just got a flyer from Bass Pro they have them on sale for $55.00 in case anyone is looking to buy.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline ConesusPikeCatcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:09 PM »
I have the Hillsounds, like the strap over the front of the boot. The also come with a nice bag to keep them in.

Do you ever think the spikes on these are to large? Do they get uncomfortable walking on bare ice with such large cleats. They look quite a bit larger then the micro spikes.

Offline runningantelope

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:29 PM »
Has any tried the Ice Hopper Creepers over at Sportsmen's Direct?

http://sportsmensdirect.com/shop/ice-cleats/ice-hopper-creepers/

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Dec 19, 2016, 06:28 PM »
My replacement spikes arrived in the mail today. If nothing else they stand behind their product didn't even charge me shipping. I give them credit. Did tell me though not good idea to leave on boots during off season.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #49 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:45 AM »
My replacement spikes arrived in the mail today. If nothing else they stand behind their product didn't even charge me shipping. I give them credit. Did tell me though not good idea to leave on boots during off season.

Do you notice any new/redesigned/improvements ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 20, 2016, 09:06 AM »
That's customer service!

They don't have to stand behind their product. A lot of companies don't. If you leave them off your boots in the off season I'd expect you to have a nice pair of spikes for much longer than your original pair.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Pike Paralyzer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 20, 2016, 08:55 PM »
Got my Kathoola micros back the other day.  They replaced my red ones with a black set.  The black set looks like a much better design than the red.  they have little grommets in the eyelets to prevent tearing and the rubber material seems a bit stronger.  Excellent customer service.  It cost me $7 to ship (small prepaid postage box) them from NY to AZ and I had them a week after I shipped them.

Sometimes ya gotta push the sheep through the fence

Offline ICEHOLE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • INSTAGRAM: MATTACHUSETTS
« Reply #52 on: Dec 21, 2016, 04:21 PM »
after all the hype i sprung for some micro spikes last winter. went thru the whole season and loved them other then the fact they are really noisy when walking on ice. after each use i made sure to put them back in the little bag they came with. Well first time to wear them this season and the rubber ripped. Inspected for dry rot but everything seems as it should. Needless to say I was very disappointed that my $65 Kahtoolas didn't last any long the those HT Walmart jobs. Like I always do I call the warranty department and all they asked me was what size and where I live. no proof of purchase or 101 questions. REPLACED! I do have to mail them out to get new ones back, which stinks at the start of the ice season but at least they took care of me and provided good service!

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Dec 21, 2016, 06:41 PM »
Hillsound trail crampons people!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.