Author Topic: Drill inquiry  (Read 5921 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
Drill inquiry
« on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:26 AM »
I feel like this is a Ford/Chevy thing so sorry to be that guy, but was hoping to hear the pro/cons of the flagship brushless drills from each manufacturer.  Seems to be a lot of opinions out there with perhaps Milwaukee and DeWalt being fan favorites.   I’ve also noticed Makita, Rigid, and even Ryobi mentioned in the conversation.    What about Lowe’s house brand Kobalt?   I’ve seen they sell a 24v brushless with 650lbs torque.

I’m a believer of spending more buy once rather than spending less and buy multiple.   But what’s the best value going right now?   For arguments sake, let’s say I want to drill about 30 or less 8” holes per trip where ice averages 12-16” but could be as little as 5" and as much as 30" and no drill plate, just the drill and either lazer bit or k-drill.   Which brand drill and model number?

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Drill inquiry
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:33 AM »
Best bang for the buck IMO is Rigid. If you buy through Home Depot, you get a LIFETIME warranty on the drill and batteries! It's hassle free!
Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:35 AM »
Which model Rigid? Thanks

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:40 AM »
4 plus ah batteries....700 in lbs ...hammer drills tend to have better innards...6 in auger drill unit or smaller ....Mora style blades tend to be cheaper( can be sharpened with some practice) and don't grab that last bit of ice like the lazers...

My set up refurbished Dewalt 995 ...Gen 2 clam Plate...SM 6" Lazer...

Do not get a picture hanging drill
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:46 AM »

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 29, 2016, 10:50 AM »

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #7 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:16 AM »
Best bang for the buck IMO is Rigid. If you buy through Home Depot, you get a LIFETIME warranty on the drill and batteries! It's hassle free!
exactly what he said and what you want. buy once and never again.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:28 AM »
Only down side to the 2 Rigid's listed is battery size.  1.5 and 2 ah batteries. 

Yes it will work, yes it will drill holes.  Might fall short on how many you can drill in a day.
Don

Offline Firefightertom32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:33 AM »
Only down side to the 2 Rigid's listed is battery size.  1.5 and 2 ah batteries. 

Yes it will work, yes it will drill holes.  Might fall short on how many you can drill in a day.

Agreed, but if money isn't an issue you can upgrade to the bigger batteries. Buy them once, and when they go bad replace them for free! I run the smaller batteries and as long as i keep them warm i can get a good amount of holes out of them.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:34 AM »

Yeah, and for the batteries to have the lifetime warranty they have to be the ones that came with the drill..

They aren't selling the bigger batteries with the kits right now unfortunately..

But, as far as batteries go, Ridgid are pretty affordable.. You can get two of the 4amp for $99...

<°)))>{

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Nov 29, 2016, 11:48 AM »
heres the kit you will want if checking out ridgid. there is a buy this kit and get a free tool with it promo
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-GEN5X-Brushless-18-Volt-Compact-Hammer-Drill-Driver-and-3-Speed-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-R9205/206127587

if you want their stronger drill and more tools, this is the kit i bought. nice deal for 120$ more you get the sawsall, 7 1/4" circular saw and a flashlight. that circular saw alone cost that, so you get the sawsall and light for free.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-GEN5X-18-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-Combo-Kit-5-Piece-R9652/205883898?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-206471996-_-205883898-_-N

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:11 PM »
heres the kit you will want if checking out ridgid. there is a buy this kit and get a free tool with it promo
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-GEN5X-Brushless-18-Volt-Compact-Hammer-Drill-Driver-and-3-Speed-Impact-Driver-Combo-Kit-R9205/206127587

That's the one ^

<°)))>{

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 29, 2016, 12:34 PM »
The most powerful drill out there right now is the Milwaukee Fuel 1200 in/lb. Not only do they have the most torque they also have a High Demand XC-9.0 battery available as well. The 9.0ah like all of there batteries do not need to be kept in a warm place to work either since the Milwaukee packs are designed to be used outside in the cold and wet conditions.There is a DC converter available too it is a 18v -12v power converter to run your 12v gadgets on the ice and a USB port to charge your phone as well from the same batteries your powering your drill with. If you want to to do it right the Milwaukee is hard to beat.

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 29, 2016, 02:16 PM »
The most powerful drill out there right now is the Milwaukee Fuel 1200 in/lb. Not only do they have the most torque they also have a High Demand XC-9.0 battery available as well. The 9.0ah like all of there batteries do not need to be kept in a warm place to work either since the Milwaukee packs are designed to be used outside in the cold and wet conditions.There is a DC converter available too it is a 18v -12v power converter to run your 12v gadgets on the ice and a USB port to charge your phone as well from the same batteries your powering your drill with. If you want to to do it right the Milwaukee is hard to beat.

That sounds cool!   Do you have a model number or link?

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #16 on: Nov 29, 2016, 04:57 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zRpVVeUy30

Here's that Milwaukee drill in action. 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Nov 29, 2016, 05:01 PM »
Oh Lord......
..please save us from the "which drill" drill topics........ :-\

Thanks in advance,
Rg
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 29, 2016, 05:22 PM »
Oh Lord......
..please save us from the "which drill" drill topics........ :-\

Thanks in advance,
Rg
You don't enjoy the which drill, which flasher, which auger, which suit, which shanty discussions?

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 29, 2016, 05:31 PM »
I like the DC auto chargers and power ports for the batteries that Milwaukee offers.  Not sure if other manufactures have these, but 12 volts into and out of Milwaukee batteries is sweet IMO.  I like the accessories a lot.  Bare drills are dirt cheap too.  ;)

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 29, 2016, 05:44 PM »
Milwaukee drills has lots of power, but my Rigid cuts holes just fine all day... I also like the lifetime Warranty, something Milwaukee does not offer and my son had one die in a year and when he sent it back he was told it was normal wear and tear and was not covered... If you like the Milwaukee, great, it will do a great job for you, until it doesn't... Even the Rigid batteries (right now 2 4 amps for $99) come with a 3 year warranty... In the end I think it comes down to what you like, the one with the most power or the one with enough power, but will be covered under warranty for your lifetime... Whatever works best for you!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Nov 29, 2016, 05:52 PM »
There is a DC converter available too it is a 18v -12v power converter to run your 12v gadgets on the ice and a USB port to charge your phone as well from the same batteries your powering your drill with.

ridgid version of the usb charger, also lifetime warranted.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-18-Volt-USB-Portable-Power-Source-with-Activate-Button-AC86072B/206936434

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2016, 06:03 PM »

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2016, 06:47 PM »
Does that put out 12v?

If for some reason you are unable to read the info at the link above? ~ I've c*p'd it for you below.     ;)2

June 24, 2016
Thank you for contacting RIDGID. Yes, the AC86072B does have the female 12V port. It is on the opposite side from the USB port, and just not pictured on the page.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2016, 06:49 PM »
It appears to be a USB port only....

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2016, 06:55 PM »
If for some reason you are unable to read the info at the link above? ~ I've c*p'd it for you below.     ;)2

June 24, 2016
Thank you for contacting RIDGID. Yes, the AC86072B does have the female 12V port. It is on the opposite side from the USB port, and just not pictured on the page.

TECH1
August 10, 2016
It doesn't. it's straight up USB power source.
1 of 1 people found this answer helpful
lm
August 05, 2016
Ridgid's response is wrong here. The only port is the USB that's it.
1 of 2 people found this answer helpful
GNOL
November 29, 2016
Yes
matt
June 26, 2016
Thank you! Very good news! You don't happen to know the amperage rating of the 12v port do you?

RIDGID
June 24, 2016

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2016, 06:57 PM »
Sounds like availability is sketchy at this time too. Do any of the rigid guys here have one to do a review on???

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:02 PM »
I feel like this is a Ford/Chevy thing so sorry to be that guy, but was hoping to hear the pro/cons of the flagship brushless drills from each manufacturer.  Seems to be a lot of opinions out there with perhaps Milwaukee and DeWalt being fan favorites.   I’ve also noticed Makita, Rigid, and even Ryobi mentioned in the conversation.    What about Lowe’s house brand Kobalt?   I’ve seen they sell a 24v brushless with 650lbs torque.

I’m a believer of spending more buy once rather than spending less and buy multiple.   But what’s the best value going right now?   For arguments sake, let’s say I want to drill about 30 or less 8” holes per trip where ice averages 12-16” but could be as little as 5" and as much as 30" and no drill plate, just the drill and either lazer bit or k-drill.   Which brand drill and model number?

If you are wanting to replace a gas auger or have the drill setup be your main setup. There is Only drill that I think makes sense. It is the Milwaukee fuel hammer brushless 1200in/lbs drill.

#1. With the 1200in/lbs the drill turns an 8in with no issues, and can continue to do so when drilling thick ice. Most others if not all will start having isues with the shavings once you start to get some hole depth, and you would need to clean the hole a lot to keep going.

#2. The milwaukee Battery is one of thee best if not thee best built battery on the market for extreme weather conditions and taking impacts.

#3. If a guy goes to this drill setup for his main system the 9ah battery is avalible which would allow for a chit load of holes in thick ice.

#4. Vexilar did research and built the K-drill specifically for the milwaukee fuel drill. I'm sure they picked the top drill after reserch. & what they believe could hold up and preform in the fridged weather and conditions.

#5. The side handle is built pretty well, which when you have 1200in/lbs needs to be. Honestly this thing could snap a wrist, I think the clam plate helps a lot for control on it.

Sure other drills work, and other drills have done the job. My milwaukee 725in/lb drill worked fine. When it was turning an 8in auger you could tell it had to work drilling the deeper holes. Now with the 1200in/lb drill on the setup nothing seems to phase it.

Offline justborn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:06 PM »
I see dewalt makes a 12 volt vehicle charger too.  It's not an AC/DC version.. ;D

Offline NYSporty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jigem up boys
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2016, 07:11 PM »
"Problem solving is hunting. It is savage pleasure and we are born to do it."
Thomas Harris

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.