Author Topic: Filet Knives  (Read 14189 times)

Offline pontiac787

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: Filet Knives
« Reply #30 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:22 PM »
Aside from the Rapala knives what would you guys recommend for a non-electric knife?  I've been trying to clean fish with junk knives for too long and I'd like to get something good.  I've heard good things about the Cutco Fisherman's Solution and the Old Timer.

Offline Tip-UpTommer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:38 PM »
i have a buck ulti-mate lake fillet knife, model 226. it has a 6 inch blade and i think it is great. i bought mine online for about 12 bucks. buck also has a 4 inch blade and a 9 inch blade for about the same price at certain sites online. this knife holds an edge very well. i can't say enough good about it. i would recomend it to anyone that wanted a non electric fillet knife.

Offline Buzz-Stix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:54 PM »
The Rapala is a good one-  But there is the Old Timer one that everyone has-  I think its swedish,  it has the writing on the blade-  I would just recommend a good handheld sharpener. 

Curtis

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 25, 2006, 09:16 PM »
go wit hthe fishermans solution, gotta promot my local product, its made 2 blocks from my house ;D you cant beat it, it goes from a 6" to a 9" blade, sharp as hell and made in the USA :tipup:

http://www.cutco.com/jsp/catalog/detail.jsp?categoryId=90&ensembleId=10330

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:09 PM »
go wit hthe fishermans solution, gotta promot my local product, its made 2 blocks from my house ;D you cant beat it, it goes from a 6" to a 9" blade, sharp as hell and made in the USA :tipup:

http://www.cutco.com/jsp/catalog/detail.jsp?categoryId=90&ensembleId=10330

I second the Cutco, working on my second, first is at the bottom of the lake!

Offline ldebriyn8

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 26, 2006, 10:45 PM »
i had a small rapala one that i absolutley loved and guess what dropped her right down the whole and watched it helicopter all the way down i was ticked >:(

Offline Coastie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2006, 04:59 AM »
I have a CKRT Big Eddy a buddy gave me and I'm happy with it! It holds an edge and is easy to sharpen. I just don't see what the fuss is all about with electric knives a good sharp knife is all you need. Know batteries to charge or wire to plug in. I keep it simple. The only thing I don't like about my CKRT is it's made in Taiwan but it was a gift. I'm upset to see Gerber Knife products being made in asia as well but thats a whole different thread!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2006, 06:55 AM »
I second the Cutco, working on my second, first is at the bottom of the lake!

well i doubt they can help you with that but cutco has a lifetime guarentee that they stand firmly by, cant beat that :tipup:

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2006, 07:53 AM »
Up untill this season you could not convince me that an electric knife could do the job of a normal hand held...But....They do....I got a great deal on a Rapala knife this season (60% off) and I could not pass it up....when it comes to gills and perch and crappie this thing is perfect

There were 2 things that worried me befor buying the knife...1) it's big and bulky handle and 2) without that bend in the knife I thought it was going to be harder to remove skin while filleting....But of these questions were non-issues...

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:20 AM »
Good Info
Use a electric for doing turkies and hams during the holidays and I would enter a carving contest. I debreast the birds and they come out awesome.
I do like the rapalas regular knives. Have three of em for doing fish to butching deer. these knives have been working since october, little slow down lately ice has been iffy.
Going to try those electric knives SOON!!!
How much is alot for these Iam thinking 60 bucks???
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2006, 10:28 AM »
I bought the portable Rapala knife with the car adaptor and 12v battery hook up (works off my vex battery). The regular price was $60 CDN and I paid $24.99 CDN, a deal if I ever saw one

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:20 AM »
Mac: It's not a cordless, it has to be hooked up to a powersource but came with both the car adapter and te 12v adtaper. the cord is nice and long as well, for ease of use.

It works great, I used it last weekend to clean some crappie and a gill and it was the best fillets I have done all season. 

Offline capt.shay

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike and 'Eyes
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2006, 11:26 AM »
Up until this season you could not convince me that an electric knife could do the job of a normal hand held...But....They do.....

Couldn't agree with you more IJ.  I thought that it was a silly or lazy way of doing fish but last year I saw it in action and started to change my thinking.

This year we laid in to an over stuffed large square bucket of perch.  We set up three stations with the first one running the electric, the second one cleaning up any pin bones with a manual and the third one doing a final inspection and a rinse in cold water.  We cleaned that whole bucket in twenty minutes flat.  It took longer to clean the kitchen then it did to clean the fish!

For a single large fish I still use a manual and probably save a little more meat but when it come to a large amount of preparation the electric is the hands down winner.

Tight Lines,

"I will never stop targeting trophies, every skunk is one skunk closer to a giant "  RC

"We're going to sit around the shanty mama...."  Johnathan Edwards

"If you are going out there to figure it all out by yourself, well, ice has a
 learning curve second only to fire. I wish you the best of luck."    Looneyducer

Offline slabcrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2006, 02:25 PM »
I've been using an 6" Normark; stiff blade.  Mostly for panfish but man was it good till it broke last year.  Had to be 20 yrs old; does Normark still make those awesome knives; anybody know?

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2006, 03:01 PM »
I converted to the electric knives about 10 years ago and hardly ever touch a hand knife   ever,   maybe to cut up bait or something while fishing.  I can do a much slicker cleaner job with the electric in a fraction of the time.  My Grandpa taught me to filet fish by the time I was probably  7 or 8 and used a handheld for years,  I agree that I have seen some pretty bad hack jobs by guys with electric knives and i bet they never learned how to clean fish right in the first place. Plus they didnt seem to care that they were wasting so much meat, and in my oppinion dont deserve to take a fishes life to waste in it in sucha manner.  Just hope they come close to enjoying the great outdoors as much as I do

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2006, 03:21 PM »
I'm with ya H2O, it is a waste of a fish if it isn't even going to be cleaned right.
I can't even stand to watch my cousin clean a fish, I end up doing it for him just cause I feel sorry that they had to die to get hacked by his untrained hands!
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline oldfox

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Dec 02, 2006, 09:54 AM »
well i doubt they can help you with that but cutco has a lifetime guarentee that they stand firmly by, cant beat that :tipup:

I have 2 that I use...Cutco's Fishermans Solution and an old Gerber 6" Coho...both are great fillet knives !.... :tipup:

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2006, 10:04 AM »
I have these my Grandpa gave me and they work great...

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2006, 10:16 AM »
Tommyboy very nice... I have never seen a filet blade shaped like that.
Do you know how old they are or who made them?

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 02, 2006, 11:23 AM »
Olsen is stamped into the one on top and I have no idea when they were made...but they work great for getting through the skin...I use a rapala for separating the meat from the bones...

Offline iceonly

• IceShanty Rookie
  • just set the hook
« Reply #50 on: Dec 03, 2006, 12:09 AM »
I have had the cutco knife for several years, it's tough to beat it's ability to take and hold an edge. One thing I might add, a diamond hone and a nice leather stop. A few passes over the diamond and it's good as new.
If it ain't cold, it ain't fishing

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 03, 2006, 01:44 AM »
I had a Gerber I bought @ Wallyworld for 8 bucks, and it never held a sharp edge.  I since bought a Rapala with the wood handle, and it has never failed me.
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline IceRover

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Dec 03, 2006, 06:07 AM »
I have used a electric knife for over ten years. Just replaced it last year and bought the same name American Angler, only this time I purchased the salt-water model.This one has better blades and also metal gears. I believe once you get the hang of one that they are easier to use. When I have a pile of fish sitting there or just a few I would feel at a disadvantage without one. If you have a partner and after you take off those fillets and skin then you forward them to the rib-removal dept.(Mrs.) ::) They like to delicately and surgically remove them, otherwise if alone I just buzz them off as well.

Offline Seaduck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perch taste great
« Reply #53 on: Dec 03, 2006, 07:01 PM »
Coldbum and Tommyboy, Those odd shaped knives are used here in Wisconsin to gut & gill fish.  The rounded end easily scrapes out the bloodline along the spine.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #54 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:08 PM »
Coldbum and Tommyboy, Those odd shaped knives are used here in Wisconsin to gut & gill fish.  The rounded end easily scrapes out the bloodline along the spine.

Where could I find some brand new ones....what company makes them...I cannot find them anywhere...

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #55 on: Dec 03, 2006, 09:54 PM »
From a guy who has spent LOTS of hours leaning over a fish cleaning table, I recommend Wusthof knives.  A Wusthof will set you back about $80, but very well worth it.  Very flexible, holds a sharp edge a long time.  I've tried a lot of knives and there is no comparison.  Got mine at Cabelas, but you can also get them at any place that sells high end knives. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline mcully

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 04, 2006, 07:06 AM »
I switched to electric and haven't spent near the time cleaning fish as I used to and no you don't waste them once you get the hang of it. I do still have a camillus fillet knife that I use for large fish and many other things in the kitchen. Camillus is on tough times now and I don't thing you'll see many real new camillus knives. they will be imported and have the camillus name stamped on them. I live a few miles from the factory and they've been on strike. Made in America sometimes means the name was stamped here but made else where. My brother in law works for Syracuse China and they do the same just stamp a name that everyone wants on something made in another country. I do like my ole knife though keeps a great edge and flexible. Sorry for the rant.

Offline Seaduck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perch taste great
« Reply #57 on: Dec 04, 2006, 12:18 PM »
Tommyboy, check with this shop in Port Washington, WI.  I have seen them in the store.

http://www.bait-box.com/  (Sorry, not sure how to post a link - just cut & paste)

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #58 on: Dec 04, 2006, 01:09 PM »
I have several, 4 Kershaws of different lengths, 1 Uncle Henry, 1 Henckels 4 star, and a custom made knife.  The custom keeps it's edge far longer than any of the others.  Just a quick scrub on a steel, and it is back to a razor edge.

Offline Haywood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 04, 2006, 01:29 PM »
I bought a Rapala knife a few years ago and I really like it, but have yet to find a knife that will beat my old Normark Finland.  You could filet a concrete slab and it would still have enough edge on it to do a limit of crappies. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.