Author Topic: Filet Knives  (Read 14186 times)

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
Filet Knives
« on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:49 PM »
I know this belongs in the equipment section but no one ever post their so i was hoping to get some responces before it gets moved  ;D.  What kind of filet knives do you all use.  I have a rapala and a unknown one from my dad and to be blunt they suck. It's like fileting with a butter knife even when they are sharp.  Not a lot of flex, and dull easy.  What kind of knives do you all use? I've seen and used good ones in the past, but don't know the name brand or where to get one.   Just wondering everyones opinion,

Matt
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
Re: Filet Knives
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:53 PM »
I use an electric by American Angler. Works great.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline rippinlip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2006, 08:55 PM »
I like Mister Twister blades on an american angler motor.  The mister twister motors and triggers always wear out on me but not the blade.  The american angler blades are not to my liking

Offline Buzz-Stix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:40 PM »
I got the one made in Finland or where every they are form-  The ones with the writing on the blade-  everyone has one i know of.   I like them a lot,  get a good sharpener  and they'll never dissapoint you. 

I personally dont like electric ones-  not trying to start anything,  but I think you get a better fillet by feeling everything you are doing with the blade.

Curtis

Offline mattmull10

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Not bad, but i can do better!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:48 PM »
I was acctually just about to ask about the electric knives, I've never used them, know a lot of people swear by them.  I have always used a blade.  What are the pros and cons between the two.   I know i'm maing a big fuss about filet knives but i'm sick of butchering my fish~!
My new Motto for the New Year #@%& it i'm going fishing

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:49 PM »
I have a rapala one that I got at Wally World and I love it. It is very sharp and does a great job, cheap too!!!

Offline Buzz-Stix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2006, 09:53 PM »
Matt-

This is All my opinion-  But I think you get a better fillet with a straight blade knife-  I have seen a 20" walleye turn into a bluegill filllet with electric knives.  I know someone will say they go faster,  but I think you do get more meat,  and a cleaner cut with a hand held straight blade.

Its all an opinion-  I could see using them on Northerns,  but I have watched people use them on gill's and crap's  and I haven't liked the results.  Its all IMO though.

Curtis

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2006, 10:12 PM »
I use a 7.2 volt cordless Rapala filet knife and am very happy.
I filet a lot of different species fish and the 2 different size blades are awesome.
I use a standard filet knife to do the detail trimming once I get the filet and skin off.
Best 90$ bucks I have spent on cleaning fish and it takes me a 1/4 of the time. That is key, especially when you get home and don't feel like cleaning fish.
I know we have all been there :-[

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2006, 10:16 PM »
I have 2 long bladed Rapalas and a 6" one that I use for blue gills.
 I have watched my buddies use the electric knives and they do a good job also.
 I think that it is what you get used to using and feel comfortable with.
 A good sharpener is what really makes the job easier. Dull knives mess up a lot of fish and take up a lot of time if you have a mess of fish to clean.
 Winchester 88
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline J_MAKI

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 24, 2006, 10:19 PM »
Matt-

This is All my opinion-  But I think you get a better fillet with a straight blade knife-  I have seen a 20" walleye turn into a bluegill filllet with electric knives.  I know someone will say they go faster,  but I think you do get more meat,  and a cleaner cut with a hand held straight blade.

Its all an opinion-  I could see using them on Northerns,  but I have watched people use them on gill's and crap's  and I haven't liked the results.  Its all IMO though.

Curtis

I agree can't beat good old manual labour when filletting. I have several rapalas one with the standard wooden handle and one with the fancy black rubber/stainless handle. They both seem to have the same blades but I prefer the feel of the rubber handle myself. I have yet to try more expensive knives but I am sure they are worth it, just haven't needed another knife yet next time I will buy a Buck to try.

Jeremy

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 24, 2006, 11:13 PM »
I agree can't beat good old manual labour when filletting. I have several rapalas one with the standard wooden handle and one with the fancy black rubber/stainless handle. They both seem to have the same blades but I prefer the feel of the rubber handle myself. I have yet to try more expensive knives but I am sure they are worth it, just haven't needed another knife yet next time I will buy a Buck to try.

Jeremy

Yeah I stick with manual labor fillet knives, that is what I am best with, only time I have used and electric is when we were doing 10+ salmon.     
    I recieved adn Old Timer Filet knife back in 01 and have been using it ever since, its the best knife I have ever used.     
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #11 on: Jan 24, 2006, 11:28 PM »
I have seen a 20" walleye turn into a bluegill filllet with electric knives.  I know someone will say they go faster,  but I think you do get more meat,  and a cleaner cut with a hand held straight blade.

yep, sure.

you guys should check out how I cut up eyes with an electric fillet knife
http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=7592.msg67011#msg67011

Offline BASSandICE65

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Pats!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 25, 2006, 12:11 AM »
I have the Rapala one take a honing stone to it for about an hour sure then you won't be disappointed. Have to sharpen them right out of the box :tipup:

Anyday fishing is better than your best day working!!!!!!!!!

Offline spoonfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • just one more
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2006, 12:13 AM »
gotta love the electric ;D

only keep what you're gonna eat
                                                            MIRC

Offline GAMBELL

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 41" PIKE 2005!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2006, 03:24 AM »
I have an American Angler electric knife and love it.  I also have 1 rapala wood handled knife and 2 plastic handled knives by the same company.  I baught a knife sharpener that is made by rapala and it sharpens them nicely.

bigdave1018

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:04 AM »
i have 4 - 4in rapalas and 4 - 6 in rapalas knives that i have received over the last 40 yrs of fish cleaning. just never got use to the electric ones :-\. i bought 2 of those heavy duty shapreners last year and they are ok. my bud has 1 of those old roller sharpeners that is awesome but you cant find them anymore so he told me. ive cleaned more fish over the years then there are members in here and still learning new ways to clean them.

Offline tomg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 25, 2006, 05:51 AM »
I use a Opinel brand from Lee Valley. It is a folding knife but I love it.  I am sure you can get them elsewheres

Offline polasauris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:10 AM »
How do the electric filet knives work on the smaller panfish?

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #18 on: Jan 25, 2006, 06:22 AM »
  Remember the Bassomatic on SNL?  You just put your fish in a blender, make a
milkshake out of it, and enjoy.  Mmmm that's some good bass.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:08 AM »
How do the electric filet knives work on the smaller panfish?
They work great. Don't spend your money on an expensive one to try, just go to wally world and get a black and decker slim grip to try. I've been using the same one for 8 or 9 years now and it's well worth the money.
      Jim

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:34 AM »

If you want a good sharpener for your Rapala style fillet knives look for one of the ones that are a flat piece of plastic with a 45 degree turn on the end. It has 2 sets of sharpening pins (one coarse and one fine) that are in a cris-cross pattern.
 You lay the thing on the edge of a table or counter and draw the knife down thru the pins to sharpen.It keeps a good edge on the knives and is easy to use. I got mine several years back at a home hardware store at less than $10,00.
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline seaweed01

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25, 2006, 07:56 AM »
I use a Mr. Twister electric to fillet and a 4" wood
handle standard Rapala to cut the ribs out of panfish.
I have to agree with Mac - "once you use an
electric, you cannot go back".

Offline madporider

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2006, 08:09 AM »
never tried the electric knives but am thinking about getting one i have an old fillet knife with a wood handle that has little to no blade left after the many years of sharpening it was my dads and i just kinda stole it from him when i bought my first boat never give it back i dont know who made it but it has cleaned literally tons of fish
give a man a fish and feed him for a day teach a man to fish and his wife will hate you for the rest of her life

Offline Bobman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Free Speech Advocate #000020
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2006, 08:18 AM »
I've always used the wood handle Rapala knives (4" for small fish and 6" for larger fish) and never had a problem with them.  They are easy to sharpen and hold and edge pretty well.  Plus you can't beat the price!
There's a hole in my ice!

Offline bwalleye

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • To fish or not to fish...is a stupid question
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2006, 08:26 AM »
I have a custom fillet knife that my father gave me.  Nothing I've used before or since is better.  I tried getting some more but the fellow that made them has passed away. 

I have tried using an electric but butchering would be a better term than filleting.  Perhaps some day some one could show me how, but until then I'll enjoy the clicking over the ribs as the succulent fillet comes free.
The moon is much smaller than the earth, however, it is much farther away.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2006, 08:51 AM »
I have the Rapala corded electric and I love it for walleyes, cut my cleaning time by more than half.  I still use the hand powered Rapala for panfish though,  I just can't seem to get the hang of the electric on the smaller fish. Also I second the plastic sharpener with the coarse and find stones, works real good.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Spindoctor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2006, 11:33 AM »
You can get the same amount of meat off your walleye with a lot of practice.
I fillet 3 perch a minute with an American Angler Electric Fillet Knife. Doesn't matter if its perch, bluegilss or catfish. Of course, my buddy and I clean about 2000 pounds of perch a season for folks. I recommend one omportant thing. Get a SECOND knife. When your first one starts getting warm in the handle, switch off to the other unit.  You will extend the life of the knife by triple!  I've burnt up about 12 of them in the last 4 years.
Spindoctor

Offline Buzz-Stix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2006, 11:37 AM »
yep, sure.
(Image removed from quote.)

you guys should check out how I cut up eyes with an electric fillet knife
http://www.myfishfinder.com/fishing_forum/index.php?topic=7592.msg67011#msg67011

Hey,  I did say it was all my opinion and I bet guys that know how to use them do a good job-  I just said I prefer the Old fashioned manual fillet knives because I believe you get a cleaner, nicer cut.  I have seen guys do some butcher jobs on walleyes and by the time their are done they hardly have a fish left with electrics,  and I also dont think you can feel the bones as well with the electrics.

Curtis

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2006, 03:25 PM »
I'm a big fan of regular piece of steel in my hand other than something that needs to be charged or plugged in. My dad picked me up a set of miracle blade knock-offs for my new place and the set came with a fillet knife, that thing is perfect. It has the right flex and enough backbone for good control. I have yet to sharpen it after 2 yrs of cleaning. Small downfall, not big enough to steak out a salmon, but I have a big boy knife for that job.
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline Buzz-Stix

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2006, 03:29 PM »
No.  You don't "feel" the bones.
You cut right through them.
Gills to tail, but not through the tail.
Flip over the fillet and then run back down the peice separating the meat from the skin.
You go through the rib bones and cut along the spine before flipping the peice over to remove the skin.
Then you use a normal fillet knife to cut out the rib bones.
And, if it's a walleye, you use the normal fillet knife to get those tasty cheeks!!! Yum!
Simple.
Mac

This may be a completely stupid question-  But what I gathered from what you said was basically you fillet the fish then use a knife to cut the ribs out and the cheeks out?

Now,  I am not trying to degrat your method-  but wouldn't it be almost the same thing to just floow the rib cage with a handheld staight balde,  and go around the,  and the de-skinn the fillet?

I just think using a electric for 1/2 fo the precedure,  then a regular knife,  just sounds a little to complicated,  and almost more time consuming needing to grab different kinves,  and such?

Just my thought again.

Curtis

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.