Author Topic: Best bang for your buck fillet knife  (Read 22372 times)

Offline eyehi

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Best bang for your buck fillet knife
« Reply #60 on: Feb 19, 2012, 08:51 AM »
eagle claw 6 inch fillet knife with rubber handle....best knife i have owned for panfish cleaning ;D
Budweiser pro staff

Offline The Woodsman

• IceShanty Rookie
  • High Country Lakes in Colorado
« Reply #61 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:14 PM »
Yeah, consider myself lucky to have gotten a Martini/Finland Rapala filet knife years ago when I did.  It's served me well on canoe trips Up North, and right here in my Colorado kitchen when we bring home some trout.  Sure, new gear is great in lots of ways, but not when they go cheap instead of quality.  It used to be that really great quality was more common at a reasonable, standard price.  Now there is so much poor quality cheap stuff out there, it's let-the-buyer-beware. 
Bite Fish Bite! Bite Fish Bite!  Pappa sez you have to, Momma sez you might!

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #62 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:22 PM »
Got an Elk Ridge knife from an Army Navy Surplus store and I was pretty impressed.  At only $10 it held a damn good edge and had the perfect amount of flex.  The other day I picked up a Black and Decker electric carving knife from a thrift shop for a few bucks.  I can now cut up double the fish in half the time!

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:26 PM »
I have a cheapo Raapala fileet knife and it absolutely stinks!  I tried filleting a walleye last night and hacked the meat so bad I almost threw the knife away.  What brands or knives should I be looking at?

For bigger fish, get a Dexter Russel Sani Safe, they hold an edge pretty good and are durable.

Of course, with fillet knives you get what you pay for and if you want an heirloom quality knife that has no rival, just get a Leech Lake and don't look back.

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Jan 29, 2013, 07:16 PM »
There are certain things in life you just don't cheap out on, fillet knives, axes, and dinner out with the wife. ;D

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:54 PM »
There are certain things in life you just don't cheap out on, fillet knives, axes, and dinner out with the wife. ;D

I beg to disagree.  You don't cheap out on your flasher, ice suit, and various other toys.  Plus, I bet my Black and Decker pecker wrecker could keep up to your fancy knives!  ;D

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #66 on: Jan 30, 2013, 04:01 PM »
I beg to disagree.  You don't cheap out on your flasher, ice suit, and various other toys.  Plus, I bet my Black and Decker pecker wrecker could keep up to your fancy knives!  ;D

You could keep up, but electric knives don't produce a top notch clean and smooth fillet like a good sharp fillet knife does. You do need some skill to properly operate a real fillet knife though, which many lack  ;D

Offline dbike988

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #67 on: Jan 30, 2013, 06:36 PM »
You could keep up, but electric knives don't produce a top notch clean and smooth fillet like a good sharp fillet knife does. You do need some skill to properly operate a real fillet knife though, which many lack  ;D

I'd love to show you the 8 inch crappies and bluegill I just cut up!  Cleaner and nicer looking than any of my other fillets...then again that isn't saying a whole lot.  I'm not the best with a standard fillet knife, just not enough time behind it.  Probably never will after seeing how quick and clean I can get with the electric.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.