Author Topic: Little Buddy Heater  (Read 11654 times)

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Little Buddy Heater
« Reply #30 on: Nov 11, 2012, 12:56 PM »
Tore it apart and plate that holds pilot, thermocouple and flame sensor wasn't all the way down so the three weren't lined up where they needed
to be, at least I think that was what the problem was. Fires off fine now, only thing I was wondering if the pilot stayed on after firing. I think that
is normal cause I got my other buddy heater and it stays on after firing. Thanks for the suggestions guys, one less thing I need to worry about
when I'm out on the ice.
Greg
Fish on!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:05 PM »
I love my buddy heater. I have a small, older minuteman style Clam suitcase shelter, and once I get it up to temp I just turn it to pilot and the pilot keeps it pretty warm in there.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #32 on: Nov 12, 2012, 01:07 PM »
Tore it apart and plate that holds pilot, thermocouple and flame sensor wasn't all the way down so the three weren't lined up where they needed
to be, at least I think that was what the problem was. Fires off fine now, only thing I was wondering if the pilot stayed on after firing. I think that
is normal cause I got my other buddy heater and it stays on after firing. Thanks for the suggestions guys, one less thing I need to worry about
when I'm out on the ice.

Greg

Pilot does stay on while running...it has to.  :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Nov 15, 2012, 01:42 PM »
Anyone know a place to get a portable buddy cheap? Been lookin but cant seem to find any on sale at all. 
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #34 on: Nov 15, 2012, 01:52 PM »
What do you consider as cheap? I found some online for $56.69, but they are out of stock right now. There are bargains out there if you search for them.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Nov 15, 2012, 06:34 PM »
Anyone know a place to get a portable buddy cheap? Been lookin but cant seem to find any on sale at all.

You probably won't find them super cheap this time of year.

Keep an eye on them at Lowes in early spring.  I got my Portable Buddy for $30 I think, and the Big Buddy for $70 three years ago in March or April. They clearance them out in the spring.

Offline IDbasser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:14 PM »
I walked into walmart this past winter and they had them for $47. My dad and I each bought one.  They did not last on the shelf.  I have a big buddy and it is too much for inside the popup, I wanted the smaller one, and for that price could not pass it up.  Love it, heats the popup fine, and takes up less room in the sled.

Offline Mike47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 15, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Mine works great in my Frabill Excusion 3 man.
 ;D
IMG]http://i1358.photobucket.com/albums/q762/MikeGoe49/lx001.jpg[/IMG]

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #38 on: Nov 16, 2012, 06:06 AM »
i picked up 2 little buddy heaters for 45 bucks a piece at meijers last week.only had one left.they were on clearance for 25% off.

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Nov 16, 2012, 06:25 AM »
I just didnt want to pay the 80 - 90 dollar usual price tag Ive been seeing, guess I just have to keep looking harder...
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #40 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:15 AM »
I just didnt want to pay the 80 - 90 dollar usual price tag Ive been seeing, guess I just have to keep looking harder...
I looked online yesterday and they sell for as low as about $55. I think I paid $62 for my little buddy.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Nov 16, 2012, 10:25 AM »
TIP: Lowe's always blows them out at the season end...I've bought three there for $35 each...just last year.  :o

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Nov 16, 2012, 04:20 PM »
I have had the 9HMB Buddy for many years. I haven't used it it several though. I just went to run it and as far as I can get, is the pilot light. That will stay lit as long as I keep the pilot knob depressed. As soon as I release, the pilot goes out? I use the 1lb. tanks. Maybe crud or dust?

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Nov 16, 2012, 05:20 PM »
I can get it light wow, but only if I tilt the heater so the pilot light flame is hitting/heating up the thermocouple. It will then stay lit a few minutes after I set the heater back to its normal resting position. I then hear a click and it shuts off. I guess it is bad thermocouple?  ???

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Nov 16, 2012, 05:34 PM »
I can get it light wow, but only if I tilt the heater so the pilot light flame is hitting/heating up the thermocouple. It will then stay lit a few minutes after I set the heater back to its normal resting position. I then hear a click and it shuts off. I guess it is bad thermocouple?  ???

Do this....

Also, blow out the ceramic element with an air compressor on lower pressure...they collect a lot of dust, and you can use some emery paper , (NOT  sandpaper) to clean the end of the thermocouple and flame sensor. That should get ya up and running. My two are on their 7th years, never had a problem yet. It all comes down to how ya take care of your stuff.

Offline Woodguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Nov 16, 2012, 07:59 PM »
I tried the method above. I ended up taking my compressor and taped a spray can straw to the end. That allowed me to get it down the tube to really blow it out. I also took a welding tip cleaner/wire to the other end(propane fitting). Now I have a very blue pilot flame! Works like a charm  ;)  . Now we need some ice  :)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Nov 16, 2012, 08:01 PM »
Glad to hear it.   ;)

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #47 on: Nov 17, 2012, 10:21 AM »
TIP: Lowe's always blows them out at the season end...I've bought three there for $35 each...just last year.  :o
I bought three of them that way and sold to friends who ice fish. I didn't get mine that cheap though. I think they were $43 each. Still better
than full price though. Glad to hear others are taking advantage of these deals!
Fish on!

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Nov 19, 2012, 12:28 PM »
Tractor Supply seems to have the middle sized buddy all the time for $79 which seems an average deal.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Nov 24, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Do a little modificaton and it will double as a cooking stove.

]
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

Offline just_a_beer_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Nov 25, 2012, 05:49 PM »
Figured out my best plan of action... Mom asked what I would like for Christmas and of course I had to tell her a Mr. Buddy portable.... Gander even had a Black Friday deal that had them for 60 after a 20 dollar rebate if bought between the 21 and 25..  Pretty sure that's where she went. Would have done it myself if I didn't have to get the wife an iPhone 5 for her wedding/birthday present this weekend...
Flag!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline NortsNskis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:49 PM »
Are the posted lenght of use accurate?  Meaning do they last as long as they say on a 1 pound tank?  I fish 8+ hours a day and am sick of lugging a 20lb tank and sunflower head. Was thinking the little buddy would work great in my clam 2000 and save space/weight.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:17 AM »
I have the middle sized Buddy heater and if I am fishing sunrise to sunset I will bring 2 cartridges and just about go through them both. If it happens to be stupid cold I will bring another cartridge. I have a Clam Bigfoot 4000, so it's a pretty big shelter.

Offline NortsNskis

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Thanks for.the info. The middle buddy actually has less life on low than the little buddy does. I wear. A nice suit so I'm looking to save weight and be able.to take just enough of the nip out of the air inside the shanty to wear a hoodie. The sunflower just is overkill as I'm always turning it off even this week with -15 temps its to much . It two 1lber is still lighter....anyone have any accurate info on tank usage for.little buddy?

Offline psturdevant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 24, 2013, 11:33 AM »
I have a little buddy heater with a Clam 2000 and I would say it runs pretty close to the advertised run time of 5.5 hours.  It heats up the shanty pretty good but I have not had real cold weather yet.  If you are in negative weather, I would think you would want the next size up which puts out the same or up to double what the little buddy heater does and roughly half the run time....   

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 24, 2013, 01:48 PM »
Anyone use one of these heaters? I picked one up today for like $40 during one of the deer hunting opener sales. Just running it in my basement (have to play with the new toys) it seems to throw a fair amount of heat out. It states 3800 BTU/hr on the box. I should think it will heat my Clam Kenai nicely without taking up a ton of room. Any thoughts?

I have a Clam Scout TC and I picked up a Mr.Buddy to use in it, but man, even on low that thing puts out serious heat--in under 3 minutes I had it up to 91 degress in the flip over.

I definitely need to scale down to the Little Buddy, so I'm curious how this works out.

I used the Mr. Buddy behind the seat pointing toward the back of the Scout and used some 3M velcro to keep it attached to the bottom of the sled and this worked great, as you don't have to worry about the door getting scorched or burning your pants as you exit the shelter.

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #56 on: Jan 26, 2013, 05:38 PM »
I'm sold on the Little Buddy. Used mine for a good three years now and unless it's below zero and windy it's too much heat for my Shappell DX3000.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.