Author Topic: Help me decide which 1 man shanty to buy  (Read 6577 times)

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Help me decide which 1 man shanty to buy
« Reply #30 on: Oct 28, 2011, 05:48 PM »
i have a kenai and it has a door, i think the older models didnt,  i like it becasue you dont have to mess with extending poles. Got it on close out for 140 at bass pro at the end of the season...

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 28, 2011, 06:12 PM »
It hasn't seen ice yet, but I just got a Shappell Rover 1.5 flipover. The front isn't as sloped as a few flips I've seen, leaving more room in front. It looks fairly well made and the material is pretty thick. It'll fit 2 snugly, but then I'm 5'2" and my best fishing partner is also a medium framed female, but it'd be plenty roomy for a burly guy...and even a kid with him.
I have the Rover 1.5 flip and have had it since they first started making them and I wouldn't trade it for any other It is easy to load in the pickup alone and tows easy with the wheeler. I installed the runners on the bottom helps keep the dry pavement from eating it up. The only thing you need to do is shoot a little WD40 on the parts that fit together on the bungys at the beginning of the season. And the buddy heater does a good job when the temp drops. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. Oh and get the cover it keeps all the snow and slush out .   ;D

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Oct 28, 2011, 10:01 PM »
After using an Eskimo Traveller for years, I bought an Otter Pro Cabin from Reeds a few years ago..I mounted skis on it and with all my gear it is heavy. Even after making  x-braces out of conduit
the Traveller would eventually pop a few braces and the poles would collapse with any strong winds. The Otter withstands the wind very well, including +40 mph gusts. I often fish in windy conditions
and I can't sacrifice the weight for heavier construction over lightness.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Oct 28, 2011, 10:23 PM »
I'm a pretty big guy 6ft 250lbs...and I've sat in some of the one man flips...man I just need more room...I've been eyeballing the frabill trekker any feed back would be great...sorry to butt in but it seems like a fitting spot for this question

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Oct 28, 2011, 10:41 PM »
Sounds like you may look into the shappell rover 1.5 jeffro. Or a 2 man if you dont mind the weight. From what people are sayin about them anyways. As for me, Im 5 ft 10 or so and 175 so a smaller one man fits me fine. The frabill I sat in last year seemed too big for my liking. You may like that. Not sure what model it was. But seemed bigger than the clams from what I recall.

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 28, 2011, 10:42 PM »
I'm a pretty big guy 6ft 250lbs...and I've sat in some of the one man flips...man I just need more room...I've been eyeballing the frabill trekker any feed back would be great...sorry to butt in but it seems like a fitting spot for this question
I sport the Trekker ll and would have it any other way. Just steer clear of the DLX as it is quite a bit heavier.

Offline jeffro9023

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Oct 28, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Well the trekker is built for two but the seats are removable and id center one seat when venturing alone...I forget the weight of it but how is it to pull when full of gear? Flasher minnows rods auger etc

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Oct 28, 2011, 10:57 PM »
Mine without the seats and gear is 45#  The 2 seats together are 25#  When going alone I leave 1 seat in the truck and if someone meets up with me I make sure to tell them to not forget to carry their own weight and the other seat is in the truck ;D

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Oct 29, 2011, 04:44 PM »
I am the same size as you and there is plenty of room in the 1.5 Rover. If you lived closer you could come crawl in it and check it out.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Oct 29, 2011, 06:41 PM »
Well I went and looked. Only looked at a frabill 1 man and the kenai 1 man. All they had on display as far as 1 mans anywhere. It was an easy choice for me. Goin with the kenai. They didnt have any in stock yet so they are gona call when they come in  >:(. Plenty of room for me and my gear and it feels lighter and easier to pull/ man handle. I like the deep sled sides and the accessory holder up front. Also DOES have a front door. Plus, from looking at the seat, it will be very easy to rig a swivel boat seat up (which I already have) to work without drilling holes/cutting etc. I may just go out a few times and see how the bench seat feels first. If I want to have a back to my seat Ill rig it up later. The frabills just seem a little heavy. One thing worth mentioning about the frabill is that the runner kit weighs alot more than the clam runner kit. I think the frabills use metal or somethin. Didnt see them but the box was heavy. All adds up. Went ahead and bought the cover and runners. Now jus waitin on the call to pick her up.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Oct 29, 2011, 10:08 PM »
Excellent TType! I'm glad you found what will work for you.

Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #41 on: Oct 30, 2011, 06:40 AM »
Well I went and looked. Only looked at a frabill 1 man and the kenai 1 man. All they had on display as far as 1 mans anywhere. It was an easy choice for me. Goin with the kenai. They didnt have any in stock yet so they are gona call when they come in  >:(. Plenty of room for me and my gear and it feels lighter and easier to pull/ man handle. I like the deep sled sides and the accessory holder up front. Also DOES have a front door. Plus, from looking at the seat, it will be very easy to rig a swivel boat seat up (which I already have) to work without drilling holes/cutting etc. I may just go out a few times and see how the bench seat feels first. If I want to have a back to my seat Ill rig it up later. The frabills just seem a little heavy. One thing worth mentioning about the frabill is that the runner kit weighs alot more than the clam runner kit. I think the frabills use metal or somethin. Didnt see them but the box was heavy. All adds up. Went ahead and bought the cover and runners. Now jus waitin on the call to pick her up.
the bench killed my back so i mounted a an old frabill seat and swivel and it bolted up perfect and i am much more comfy ,and the cover still fit

Offline panfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 30, 2011, 07:06 AM »
Good luck on whatever your decision may be. I was at Gander yesterday and they had the clam's and frabill's both. I'm sorry to say that I was not pleased with the craftmanship of either manufacturer. I bought a clam yukon last year that ended up being sent back due to the poles being bent. The one that I sat in yesterday has an evident problem with the lip of the sled twisting from the way the seats are mounted. And the frabill's sled's are made to thin. Chinese products - I'll say nothing further.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Oct 31, 2011, 01:32 AM »
Good luck on whatever your decision may be. I was at Gander yesterday and they had the clam's and frabill's both. I'm sorry to say that I was not pleased with the craftmanship of either manufacturer. I bought a clam yukon last year that ended up being sent back due to the poles being bent. The one that I sat in yesterday has an evident problem with the lip of the sled twisting from the way the seats are mounted. And the frabill's sled's are made to thin. Chinese products - I'll say nothing further.

I did notice the sleds seemed kinda flimsy compared to years ago and compared to my older fish trap guide. But what can ya do :-\. Nothins built the same anymore. Just like cars. I had a budget and my main thing is portability. I think the kenai will be a good ole house to keep me outta the wind and stay warm. If I ever mive north and have a reason to tow my shanties with a snowmobile or quad, Id probably look into the otters. From what I have read anyway, they seem to be built the best. But too heavy to hand pull I think.

Offline graybeard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 01, 2011, 09:14 AM »

I have the Trekker, and love it. I'm pretty good size myself, 6'1 and 235, and it makes a great roomy one man, or you can fish 2 very easily. Like was said, I usually leave one seat out, or sometimes both and just sit on a bucket. I considered the Commando, but the sleds are actually the same size, so I didn't figure it would be any easier to pull, and might as well have the extra room. I've considered a one man also, for longer drags by myself, but man, when I sit in one, they are small.
I'd rather be :icefish:

Offline fishslayerjay

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 01, 2011, 07:50 PM »
got the kenai last year. love the tray. no backrest makes it easier to turn an grab crap when you're all bundled up
fish on!!!

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 01, 2011, 11:07 PM »
got the kenai last year. love the tray. no backrest makes it easier to turn an grab **** when you're all bundled up

Good point! Im not too worried about not having a back to the seat. Whole reason I decided on this shanty was the portability of it. Im on the move alot. And Ive spent alot of days sitting on a bucket with no problems. Only thing Im worried about is my lantern being too close to the sides and melting something. If I have to, I have a buddy heater I may just mount inside the sled and I have a ropelight also if I need to rule out the lantern. We'll see. It finally came in to my local gander mtn so Im picking it up tomorrow.

Offline wolfpak3770

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Spike Em Joey!!!
« Reply #47 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:07 AM »
Frabill Commando is really nice to pull.  Pulled mine last year fully loaded (power auger, electronics, fishing liquid!) about 3/4 mile on snowed over ice. 
I just bought the Cammando myself, thanks for the good news ;)
👮👮👮

Offline mbart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 02, 2011, 04:08 PM »
Owned a Clam Guide set up as a large one man, but couldn't load by myself in my truck and sold it. Now own a Rover 1.0, lightweight simple design just flip and fish no pole to extend with cold hands, deep sled easy to pull by hand, the sliding bench seat allows for a seating postion changes or a strech while seated, take the minimum of equipment to stay mobile.

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #49 on: Dec 02, 2011, 08:32 PM »
Love my kenei very easy to pull and alot of room.. believe it is one of the lightest out there

Offline flywatersmallie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Dec 02, 2011, 11:21 PM »
Bought a Kenai this fall, should see the ice for the first time in a week or so. I cant imagine it will be too difficult to move, I hauled it downstairs in the box to assemble and back up fully put together by myself. Now its in the back of the SUV where it'll reside till spring.

Offline Icetester

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #51 on: Dec 03, 2011, 12:01 AM »
i just bought a 9 man fatfish for myself last week. Not sure its big enough for myself.

Offline timdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 03, 2011, 08:43 AM »
gander on their web page has otter small cottage 50 lbs and the fabric is 900 denier size is 300 bucks ,and my clam kenia also weighs 50 lbs ,but the frabil seats are the most comfotable put one in my Kenia from an old frabil i use to own, in deep snow they are all tanks well thats what this old guy thinks ,i have owned 1 and 2 men in clam and frabil if i was to buy another it would be an Otter

Ditto FnR
   i just got the whole  setup with the sled and cushion seat bracket for 5 bills. they then sent a 50 gift card which i used to buy the sled cover.so it cost me $450.00. the total cost had the shipping (25-30 bucks) included in it as well. if you do the math the whole package came out to $425.00 you wont find a  complete otter one man in a store for $425.00. also if you compare fishable area they're a bit bigger than a a clam pro tc and not much smaller than a frabill trekker 2 man.

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Dec 03, 2011, 08:49 AM »
i bought a otter team wild 1 man for $312 shipped. it is a bench seat and it is comfy. i sat in frabils and clams 1 man and they are tiny for me. give these guys a call to see if they wil ship to you.  http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/index.ep . here is the link for the 1 man team wild http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/ice-fishing/shelters-sleds/team-wild-portable-ice-package/prod259853.html

Offline timdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Dec 03, 2011, 10:26 AM »

It should be noted the otter  package i picked up was the pro series with the 900 denier fabric not the wild 1

Offline island guy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:15 AM »
TType or anyone else....how much of a job is the assembly of the kenai? I'm not real swift with tools! Also, how much room, enough for a flasher, heater and two holes or is that pushing it?
Thanks

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #56 on: Dec 05, 2011, 06:32 AM »
i bought a otter team wild 1 man for $312 shipped. it is a bench seat and it is comfy. i sat in frabils and clams 1 man and they are tiny for me. give these guys a call to see if they wil ship to you.  http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/index.ep . here is the link for the 1 man team wild http://ca.wholesalesports.com/storefront/ice-fishing/shelters-sleds/team-wild-portable-ice-package/prod259853.html
That's a pretty good deal.  It's last year's model and no longer in production?  I assume that's why the good price.  I'm sure Otter still supports them with parts.  Otter makes a great product.  Bought the new Otter Wild Cottage this year - with the thermal top.  Seems like solid materials in the construction.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Dec 05, 2011, 07:06 AM »
TType or anyone else....how much of a job is the assembly of the kenai? I'm not real swift with tools! Also, how much room, enough for a flasher, heater and two holes or is that pushing it?
Thanks

I think 2 holes would be pushin it depending on where you place your heater but have heard a few guys say they do it. And as far as a heater, I would advise using a buddy heater or the like as opposed to a lantern. A lantern will sit aweful close to the sides in this shack. Im worried Ill burn the tent so Im going to use a small little buddy heater for heat and a rope light for light. Plenty of room for flasher. As far as assembly goes...... Easy until the point where you have to set the actual tent and screw the molding on. If your like me and want it perfect, that part really sux! Dont put the front frame bar on until after you drape the tent on. This pole runs through a slot in the tent first. I knew better this time, but my last fishtrap I put all the bars on first and had to go back and take the front bar off and redo it. Can be easily missed in directions. Also Id set some weights on the front bar once the tent is on and you are positioning the tent fabric. This will help "set" the tent and get it tight before putting the screws in for the tent. It allows to be able to achieve the proper position of the front pole once assembly is complete. It is extremely difficult to get the tent tight and also get the front pole in correct position without placing some sort of weight on that front pole. Also I used a bunch of medium sized office binder clips to hold the tent and molding in place and "inspect" before putting screws in to finalize. Also used a hairdryer to allow the molding to be flexible enough to install properly.

Offline jekross42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Dec 05, 2011, 10:39 AM »
first thing i did after my first trip with the commando was a longer rope to pull it definitely helps in that area. also i fish 2 holes and drill 3 to sight fish for a better angle to look down with no problem. and that's with a bucket to set the rod on too but i think im going to search for a good rod holder that attaches to the shanty preferably to the brackets that the poles mount to. im a decent size guy too at 6'1" and 250 (not a round 250 i might add  ;) ) and fish just fine. i like the seat and for me is worth the weight and a 5 gallon bucket fits under it just fine to help keep alot of the weight in the back of the sled and keeps the front from burying in the snow and just pushing instead of being able to ride on top of it.
just wanna add my brother has the kenai its a few inches shorter in total length. he also fishes 2 holes for perch and we can fit both shanty's in the back of a pickup pretty easily if u fish with another guy with a one man. hope this helps and lets go cold weather. sick of this 60 degree S*** in December in upstate NY.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #59 on: Dec 05, 2011, 02:10 PM »
X2...I have the 1.0 but would also recommend the 1.5 for just a little extra room. They are about the lightest and cheapest ($...not quality wise) and made in the USA.
X2 i love my sheppell 1.0 but i would of went with the 1.5 for the extra space but it is well built and solid but light to pull
FISH ON

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.