Author Topic: Help me decide which 1 man shanty to buy  (Read 6576 times)

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Help me decide which 1 man shanty to buy
« on: Oct 27, 2011, 07:37 PM »
Just sold my 2 man guide. Now in market for a good 1 man. How do the Frabills pull? Id like one with a backrest to the seat but am considering all because I want one that is rather easy to pull and light. I will be hand pulling this thing ALOT sometimes quite a ways. I like the frabills quality, and found alot of posts saying the hardware is top notch on them. My clams nuts and bolts were unacceptable and I replaced them after a trip to the hardware store. But I still like the clams. I do like that the kenai has a pretty deep sled. I know this has came up before but wanted some fresh opinions.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
Re: Help me decide which 1 man shanty to buy
« Reply #1 on: Oct 27, 2011, 07:46 PM »
How much room do you want or need? I have an Otter Wild 1   lots of room, well built but on the heavier side...it's hard to get quality built and keep it real light..

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:12 PM »
The otters seem really nice, but too pricey for me. And I think its rediculous that they price the house, seat, shelter all seperate. And they are kinda heavy also. From what ive seen and read they seem very nice compared to most, but a little expensive for my taste. Plus I have never sat in one and they dont have any for me to try out anywhere around here. As for space, i sat in a kenai last year and it seemed ok. I want one with non extendable poles. As long as i got room for a flasher, room to jig, and room for a lantern, and room for a bucket im good. Price range of 200-$300 for a base package. Ill spend extra for runners and cover. I just wondered if some pulled better or worse than others.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:24 PM »
I think if otter wants to start selling shelters, they need to partner up with more retailers and bundle their shelters with everything needed. They have done a few things wrong imo. Theyve got the most expensive shanties out there, and theyve made it difficult for the consumer to understand and buy a complete ready to go setup and with less stores to look at them in. I do respect them for building wht seems to be great quality stuff.

Offline WildOutdoorAddict

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner NEPL, Pro-Staff for PK Lures & Bobby Garland
« Reply #4 on: Oct 27, 2011, 08:29 PM »
I got mine through sportmans guide last year for a little over $314 club price with everything I got Team Wild1  I don't see them listed there this year..but they show the 2 man model

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:14 PM »
If Otter wants to start selling shelters?  Seriously???  Go to Minnesota sometime - most of the guys who are fishing the big water are using Otter shacks...

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:28 PM »
I have the clam pro tc and it pulls real nice. My best fishing buddy got a scout tc and it's a little lighter then mine plus it's got the nice seat. I would of got that one but I'm 6'5 and I didn't like my head touching the top canvas but there's no guide poles just flip and go. Frabills are sweet and roomy but they weigh a ton and are kinda tough pulling compared to the clams in my opinion. Either way you go they're all nice and keep you out of the elements. One more side note my pro can fish both myself and my son (age 7) a little tight but very du-able. good luck and hope you enjoy your purchase  ;D

Offline s10xr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2011, 09:39 PM »
the otter wild is priced good.  the cabins or whatever the high model name is seems high in price yet very sturdy.  I just bought a 1.5 man clam pro on craigslist for 180 with the cover and runners.  If i was to buy a new one this year i was going to buy a nanook and use it by myself or a pro tc or mitchell pro.  Im not a fabrill fan.  If your going to buy a one man i would suggest buying a 1.5 for the extra room if you want to jig 2 holes or whatever else you might use the extra real estate for.

Offline Guinea

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2011, 10:03 PM »
It hasn't seen ice yet, but I just got a Shappell Rover 1.5 flipover. The front isn't as sloped as a few flips I've seen, leaving more room in front. It looks fairly well made and the material is pretty thick. It'll fit 2 snugly, but then I'm 5'2" and my best fishing partner is also a medium framed female, but it'd be plenty roomy for a burly guy...and even a kid with him.
Thinkin 'bout cusk on the grill......

Offline slammin slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 27, 2011, 10:55 PM »
I own to clams 1 is a original genz and a trap pro and a team wild 2 man I haven't used my pro yet but bought it on craigslist for 100 bucks and its in great shape my genz pulls great it only a 1 man but a great shack for run and gun if you are pulling it by hand installing a set of skis might be a option you can get them cheap at goodwill I hear it makes a big differance I just got 2 sets for 10 dollars at goodwill otter does biuld the top of the line shack and they are heavy but a otter perch with skis would be just the ticket that's what I wanted but couldn't find 1 so I got my fish trap pro and love it
I don't have a problem I have an obsession😏

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Oct 27, 2011, 11:47 PM »
If Otter wants to start selling shelters?  Seriously???  Go to Minnesota sometime - most of the guys who are fishing the big water are using Otter shacks...

Well Im from Indiana and I can honestly say in the 7 or 8 years Ive been ice fishing, I have never seen an otter on the ice. And even when scouring threads, 95% of ppl arent interested in otters. I do think they look very nice and would love to try one out but have only seen them in magazines. Maybe up waay north alot of guys use them, but not here. We dont even have any dealers even close to me. And there are ALOT of ice fisherman around northern indiana.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2011, 03:36 AM »
Frabills are sweet and roomy but they weigh a ton and are kinda tough pulling compared to the clams in my opinion.

Care to elaborate a little as far as being tougher to pull than the clams? Do you mean just because of the weight, or the actual sled design? Thats gona play a BIG factor in my purchase. I need one that pulls very nicely. Ive heard people say the clam 1 mans pull really well, but never heard a frabill guy talk about how well his 1 man pulls.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2011, 06:16 AM »
Care to elaborate a little as far as being tougher to pull than the clams? Do you mean just because of the weight, or the actual sled design? Thats gona play a BIG factor in my purchase. I need one that pulls very nicely. Ive heard people say the clam 1 mans pull really well, but never heard a frabill guy talk about how well his 1 man pulls.
That's an excellent question. The weight factor I would say but that would be worth looking into a little closer. How much stuff do you take out? I pack very light myself 1 rod bag, vexilar, buddy heater, ice scoop, 1 maybe 2 extra 1lb tanks, and my lazer mag. Most of the tackle I take fits into my little tackle box in my vex and everything else is in either my jacket or bibs. I notice a lot of guys carry a whole lot more. As far as sled design IDK just know the frabills are heavier and don't seem to pull as well in snowy conditions.

Offline HVFD14

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't ask...I can't tell.
« Reply #13 on: Oct 28, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Frabill Commando is really nice to pull.  Pulled mine last year fully loaded (power auger, electronics, fishing liquid!) about 3/4 mile on snowed over ice.  Not a problem at all. Only mod I did was added a longer pull rope to it.  Good comfy seat too.  I'm not the biggest of guys either, 5'10" 170.
  BE THERE!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Oct 28, 2011, 09:06 AM »
I thought that was just an Otter, Marcum, Strikemaster, Polaris club out there.  :unsure: :whistle:
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline richstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I drill holes - lots of holes
« Reply #15 on: Oct 28, 2011, 09:13 AM »
LOL - yeah, there is a club over there  ;D  But in al honesty, I don't think anyone can say there is a more heavy duty shelter on the market than an Otter.  They are great for that application, but there may be better choices for other styles/locations.  I have a Trap Pro with Hyfax, and I think it pulls like a tank - I really don't like it at all.  Thinking of selling it and picking up something different - but it's funny how different all the opinions are!!! 

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #16 on: Oct 28, 2011, 09:19 AM »
It hasn't seen ice yet, but I just got a Shappell Rover 1.5 flipover. The front isn't as sloped as a few flips I've seen, leaving more room in front. It looks fairly well made and the material is pretty thick. It'll fit 2 snugly, but then I'm 5'2" and my best fishing partner is also a medium framed female, but it'd be plenty roomy for a burly guy...and even a kid with him.

X2...I have the 1.0 but would also recommend the 1.5 for just a little extra room. They are about the lightest and cheapest ($...not quality wise) and made in the USA.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Oct 28, 2011, 02:15 PM »
I pack very light anymore. 2 rods usually, very small little tackle case with jigs etc, hand auger, either my buddy heater or a lantern, pliers etc most of which fits in a bucket, and dont forget my soon to be new lx5. Use to be a vex fl20. Thats about it, to me packing light is key.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 28, 2011, 02:24 PM »
Im from ft wayne IN area. Im hoping that gander and dicks have their shanties all out now. Seems like the stores around here dont carry much last few years. Really want to check out the frabills and the shapell rovers. Ive been inside so many clams Im sure Ill like them ;D. I let you know wht I end up with.

Offline BS-BARN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2011, 02:33 PM »
Most of the shops have shacks out already. I'd reccomend going and sitting in different ones and see which feels right. For me it was an easy choice with the clam because of the price and the features you got for your money. Most shacks now are built pretty well it just depends on what you want to spend, what you need to put in it, how comfortable you need to be, and how much wieght you can pull. I think the most comfortable shacks are the Frabil and Otter but they weigh consideribly more than the clam. They are also much more expensive.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Oct 28, 2011, 03:01 PM »
gander on their web page has otter small cottage 50 lbs and the fabric is 900 denier size is 300 bucks ,and my clam kenia also weighs 50 lbs ,but the frabil seats are the most comfotable put one in my Kenia from an old frabil i use to own, in deep snow they are all tanks well thats what this old guy thinks ,i have owned 1 and 2 men in clam and frabil if i was to buy another it would be an Otter 

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2011, 03:19 PM »
I loved my fish trap guide, but too heavy and noone ever goes with me anymore. Im hopin to find a store with a rover 1.5 on display. A little roomier and only 45lbs.

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 28, 2011, 03:33 PM »
gander on their web page has otter small cottage 50 lbs and the fabric is 900 denier size is 300 bucks ,and my clam kenia also weighs 50 lbs ,but the frabil seats are the most comfotable put one in my Kenia from an old frabil i use to own, in deep snow they are all tanks well thats what this old guy thinks ,i have owned 1 and 2 men in clam and frabil if i was to buy another it would be an Otter

Sled and seat not included. Lol. Why oh why do they do that! 50 lbs seems good, but add another 20 for the sled and seat and its too heavy for my liking. Man that thing looks sweet though!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Oct 28, 2011, 03:44 PM »
ya but they are sweet, wish clam would start making the X1 again that was a great 1 man and i would never trade my X2 in ,but its not for pulling by hand at 145 naked if you want light and a seat the clam scout is 49 lbs

Offline fordkisskrazy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Oct 28, 2011, 04:00 PM »
After several back surgeries and a broken back last year I went with a pop up, light, easy to set up, and you get a 3 man plenty of room for everything. I carry everything in a jetsled. Just a option. When the wife or friends go I have a 4 man but the 3 man works great for me, I like room though so maybe a two man would work for you.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Oct 28, 2011, 04:07 PM »
ya thats another option my buddy has 1 and it works for him , i just never think about them sorry

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #26 on: Oct 28, 2011, 04:21 PM »
LOL - yeah, there is a club over there  ;D  But in al honesty, I don't think anyone can say there is a more heavy duty shelter on the market than an Otter.  They are great for that application, but there may be better choices for other styles/locations.  I have a Trap Pro with Hyfax, and I think it pulls like a tank - I really don't like it at all.  Thinking of selling it and picking up something different - but it's funny how different all the opinions are!!!
I bought my flip over around 8-10 years ago and I'm happy with it. It has plenty of room, comfy seats and isn't all that heavy for an old coot like me to load in the back of a pickup, just cumbersome. I don't care what the new style dictates I should have. ;D ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline revpilot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Oct 28, 2011, 04:33 PM »
i sat in the new otter wild series with grey camo, thermal top, and the new bench seat this past week and if i was buying a new one man, that would be it!!

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #28 on: Oct 28, 2011, 04:36 PM »
Just sold my 2 man guide. Now in market for a good 1 man. How do the Frabills pull? Id like one with a backrest to the seat but am considering all because I want one that is rather easy to pull and light. I will be hand pulling this thing ALOT sometimes quite a ways. I like the frabills quality, and found alot of posts saying the hardware is top notch on them. My clams nuts and bolts were unacceptable and I replaced them after a trip to the hardware store. But I still like the clams. I do like that the kenai has a pretty deep sled. I know this has came up before but wanted some fresh opinions.

Get this one:

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline TType86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Oct 28, 2011, 05:45 PM »
Im 100% stuck on a LIGHT 1 man. I just sold a clam fish trap guide 2 man. It was too heavy for just me. My friend tells me gander has the clam kenai up and it has a front door! I thought the kenai didnt have a front door??? Weird! Gona go check em out tomorrow. As for the scout, I thought they discontinued that?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.