IceShanty Main > General Ice Fishing Chit Chat

Officially switching to fluoro for pike tip up leaders

<< < (5/5)

Esox fisherman:

--- Quote from: thomasthepikehunter on Apr 18, 2024, 11:54 AM ---@Papa Sly, there is a learning curve to tying steel. Some knots just don't work well, they cause the ends to become curly. The best I have found is a basic Uni knot. The only real trick is after you tighten up the tag end, push the knot down with your fingers, don't just pull the line to slide it down. Sometimes it's a little back and forth, gently tighten the tag, then slide the knot down, then tighten tag more, and push knot some more. Once you figure it out, it's easy and you can knot leaders right on the spot anywhere. Crimps work fine, they just add bulk, but it's not horrible. If you ever want the most discrete, knot for lack of a better word, on a coated steel leader, the best I have found is a fusing technique from the book Pro Tactics: Northern Pike by Jack Penny. Basically you twist up the ends and use a candle to fuse the coating. It produces a fantastic leader, but it's kind of a PITA. It's definitely something you can only do at home, not in a boat or on ice. It wasn't worth it to me, I knot all my leaders now.

--- End quote ---

What color

missoulafish:
WonderBread

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version