The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice Conditions? Monmouth, Winthrop Area  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice Conditions? Monmouth, Winthrop Area
« on: Jan 30, 2023, 08:46 AM »
Hi all, I unfortunately live in CT where there is no ice this year but even in normal years I still drive to Maine several times because to me it is that much better of a fishery. I know it has not been the most normal Winter up there either but at least there is ice. I have only taken 1 trip up so far and that was a few weeks ago, I do plan on making the most out of February though. I was wondering if anyone knows the current Ice Conditions on any of the following places? (Cobbossee, Maranacook, Annabessacook, Wilson Pond) Any information provided would be very much appreciated as having a spot picked ahead of time always makes my almost 5 hour drive a little easier.  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline Jim_C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I never met a fish I didn't like.
Re: Ice Conditions? Monmouth, Winthrop Area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 30, 2023, 08:52 AM »
People were out on the Readfield end of Maranacook on Sat., including one sled.  Ice thickness unknown since I saw them on a drive by.  Didn't see anyone out at the Winthrop end.

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:06 AM »
That area and the rest or the state will be making massive amounts of ice with -20 degree temps this weekend. Hoping all slush will lock right up.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:11 AM »
That area and the rest or the state will be making massive amounts of ice with -20 degree temps this weekend. Hoping all slush will lock right up.

I think you'd be surprised at that statement.  No ones been fishing so there are no holes to flood and freeze.  There will still be plenty of slush after this weekend with all the weight pushing down on minimal ice, won't make like you might think. :tipup: 

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:14 AM »
Like Jim C said, I have seen a bunch of folks fishing the Readfield side of Maranacook and I saw two selds take off from the Readfield beach and head across right through the bouys, even though I would tell you that area was open water not much more than a week ago.  The Winthrop Side is buttoned up but the deep hole can't have much ice on it right now.  I have seen some people fishing on foot near the train track side of Winthrop.  I also have seen folks fishing on Cobbossee but not venturing far.  I was planning on Fishing Maranacook this past weekend but my daughers bball game got moved and wasn't able to get out.  I suspect it's anywhere from 4-10 inches of ice with more being made all week thankfully.

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2023, 10:29 AM »
People have been fishing Annabessacook for a few weeks now, but I am unsure of the thickness.

Nowhere is going to be making "a ton" of ice in that area as far as the bigger bodies of water are concerned. It is going to be a colder snap, so it will certainly help, but it wont make everywhere good in the course of 2 days, especially with the recent slushy mess they all have.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2023, 02:38 PM »
I appreciate all of information and will certainly be cautious when I figure out where I am going. I hope everyone is able to get out on good ice and have fun!  :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Offline maine_dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:59 AM »
Been out on the north end of Annebessecook the last few weekends.  This last weekend saw 6" of ice under 6" of slush or combo of slush/ice.  Saw some sleds running up from the south taking the trail where the new boat lauch was put in.  Fishing's been slow.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:01 AM »
Been out on the north end of Annebessecook the last few weekends.  This last weekend saw 6" of ice under 6" of slush or combo of slush/ice.  Saw some sleds running up from the south taking the trail where the new boat lauch was put in.  Fishing's been slow.

I did not know there was a new boat launch, is that where you walk on now? I have always walked on off Waugan Rd along the stream.

Offline maine_dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2023, 09:15 AM »
They just completed it this fall.  It is off East Monmouth Rd, on the northeast corner of the lake.  No motorized vehicles are allowed in the winter, not sure if there is parking at the top.  It would be a tough walk, pretty good hill. Waugan access was pretty sketchy last I drove by, but I think people had gone in there last Sunday.

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2023, 01:27 PM »
Well with the cold this week I am guessing walking on of Waugan should be good at this point, I guess I will find out soon enough  :-\ :tipup:

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2023, 02:10 PM »
They just completed it this fall.  It is off East Monmouth Rd, on the northeast corner of the lake.  No motorized vehicles are allowed in the winter, not sure if there is parking at the top.  It would be a tough walk, pretty good hill. Waugan access was pretty sketchy last I drove by, but I think people had gone in there last Sunday.
No motorized vehicles at the new launch? What?

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2023, 02:11 PM »
Well with the cold this week I am guessing walking on of Waugan should be good at this point, I guess I will find out soon enough  :-\ :tipup:
You might be ok after this weekend but I drive by there every morning to work and I haven’t seen anyone off waugan rd

Offline Moosemonster

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2023, 04:47 PM »
You might be ok after this weekend but I drive by there every morning to work and I haven’t seen anyone off waugan rd

Thank You , this helps for sure, I will probably go somewhere else this time and see how it is next week there.

Offline HenryC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2023, 10:11 PM »
I fished the North end of Maranacook today 2/1 and the ice was 3-5 inches thick.  Sleds and UTVs had used the main trail to Readfield this weekend.  There are still spots near the Readfield boat launch that were open last week so another week of cold nights like they are forecasting will help.

Offline maine_dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 02, 2023, 07:20 AM »
No motorized vehicles at the new launch? What?

They have temp signs up for the winter.  meaning no snowmobiles/atvs etc.   There are posts on the Annabessacook Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/AnnabessacookLakeMaine

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
« Reply #16 on: Feb 02, 2023, 07:32 AM »
They have temp signs up for the winter.  meaning no snowmobiles/atvs etc.   There are posts on the Annabessacook Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/AnnabessacookLakeMaine
Interesting. Never seen that before

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 02, 2023, 07:40 AM »
One of the FB posts mentions a snowsled trail near the launch. Does that provide access to the lake from the parking area?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.