The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ricky Craven Derby  (Read 2163 times)

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ricky Craven Derby
« on: Jan 30, 2023, 06:07 AM »
Surprise, surprise, Rick Laney (salmon 44) out to a big lead after first weekend!  Guessing Paul will be trying to run him down on the second weekend!  Not many families in Maine with more outdoor skills than the Laney's that's for sure, Dad did it right! @)

Offline salmon44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ricky Craven Derby
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2023, 10:05 AM »
It's been a long time since I have checked in on the forum and saw this nice post from Gamefisher.  I'm guessing someone will catch a larger Togue in the 2nd half of the derby however, I had fun battling this 31", 9.16 lb. on a jig rod.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 11, 2023, 03:00 PM »
It's been a long time since I have checked in on the forum and saw this nice post from Gamefisher.  I'm guessing someone will catch a larger Togue in the 2nd half of the derby however, I had fun battling this 31", 9.16 lb. on a jig rod.

There has been  quite resurgence of old timers lately Rick, I sure hope it continues.   Hoping you are heading  up  to improve your position next  weekend. Bring home the bacon.😎

Offline darby74

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11, 2023, 03:34 PM »
Congrats, nice fish

Offline IceDog88

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 11, 2023, 05:55 PM »
Nice work.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2023, 06:34 AM »
Looks like salmon 44 got run down in weekend 2 of the derby sadly.  Top three must have looked like pencils weight to length. :'(  Tim Obrey and the Moosehead coalition still need our help removing all the togue we legally can!  Let's do our part! :tipup:

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:24 AM »
Looks like salmon 44 for run down in weekend 2 of the derby sadly.  Top three must have looked like pencils weight to length. :'(  Tim Obrey and the Moosehead coalition still need are help removing all the togue we legally can!  Let's do our part! :tipup:

I have an email out to Tim and some other feelers going to see what we can do to push for the bag limit being removed for fish under 18". No idea if we can get any traction but it cannot hurt to try.

Angler pressure is way down with mother natures poor excuse for a winter and it is apparent that we need to be harvesting more Togue out of there. Those Derby winners should have been pushing 20lbs.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:27 AM »
Most important issue is getting P H back up so White fish and smelts can live healthy!!!

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2023, 07:42 AM »
I have an email out to Tim and some other feelers going to see what we can do to push for the bag limit being removed for fish under 18". No idea if we can get any traction but it cannot hurt to try.

Angler pressure is way down with mother natures poor excuse for a winter and it is apparent that we need to be harvesting more Togue out of there. Those Derby winners should have been pushing 20lbs.

Bingo Wago.  I was reading something where Obrey said he needed 3000 togue removed this winter to meet goal, I'm guessing they will fall way short this winter.  I'm like you and would like to see unlimited on togue under 18".  The problem with many of the State's management programs is they often don't stay the course long enough.

40" makes 20 pounds has always been a great general rule of thumb. :tipup:

Offline salmon44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2023, 09:59 AM »
My group landed over 60 Togue that weekend and all looked malnourished except for my "temporary" 1st place fish.  Hopefully next year the Moosehead Derby doesn't widen the goalposts and add another weekend.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2023, 10:18 AM »
My group landed over 60 Togue that weekend and all looked malnourished except for my "temporary" 1st place fish.  Hopefully next year the Moosehead Derby doesn't widen the goalposts and add another weekend.

I agree, a couple of weekends is more than enough. The other fish get punished too, especially salmon. I must be used to seeing scrawny togue, the ones I've caught this year looked ok to my eye. Certainly more healthy looking than five years ago.

Offline gamefisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2023, 10:46 AM »

Sad to hear about the skinny togue , I had hopes the big pond was on its way back. :'(  Although the intent of adding a second weekend was sold as in the interest of safety, they should be prepared to pay out on both weekends fish if officially "on". :tipup:

Offline salmon44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 27, 2023, 01:07 PM »
The Moosehead Derby should look at Sebago's ice derby, 6 entries per day and donate to a local food kitchen.  Fishermen would keep more small Togue (which is what the Biologists are asking for), have more chances for prizes, the food kitchens appreciate the donations and most importantly help the overall fish population in Moosehead.  Of course there are many factors that contribute to a lakes's health however, this system has definitely worked at Sebago Lake (whenever there is ice).

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.