Author Topic: Smelt  (Read 1158 times)

Offline 13fish

• IceShanty Rookie
Smelt
« on: Jan 31, 2023, 12:34 PM »
Hi All, I'm looking into smelt fishing a bit, and am trying to figure out when they run. I see all those smelt camps are down because there is no or minimal ice. I remember as a kid fishing somewhere in the Boston area for them, but it was off lighted docks at night in some part of the harbors all around there. There was no ice, and it was cold. I thought is was around the March timeframe but I'm not too sure. From what I gather they move into the rivers from the ocean in springtime to spawn and then back out to the ocean in summer/fall? Part of my question here is that I'm reading posts about the camps not having their shacks out due to lack of ice, and probably won't put them out at all. Is it the season to maybe target these harbors/estuary's etc. or is it in the fall, and late winter early springtime in the rivers?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Smelt
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2023, 12:53 PM »
Hi All, I'm looking into smelt fishing a bit, and am trying to figure out when they run. I see all those smelt camps are down because there is no or minimal ice. I remember as a kid fishing somewhere in the Boston area for them, but it was off lighted docks at night in some part of the harbors all around there. There was no ice, and it was cold. I thought is was around the March timeframe but I'm not too sure. From what I gather they move into the rivers from the ocean in springtime to spawn and then back out to the ocean in summer/fall? Part of my question here is that I'm reading posts about the camps not having their shacks out due to lack of ice, and probably won't put them out at all. Is it the season to maybe target these harbors/estuary's etc. or is it in the fall, and late winter early springtime in the rivers?

They are absolutely running right now. In all the rivers and harbors that have water flowing into them from other than  The mouth or breakwalls. There’s your key, don’t forget that part.

Go old school and long rod some Sabikis with some night crawlers and have at it. If you can find seaworms great but I doubt it.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 13fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2023, 12:00 PM »
Thanks for tips. Is that why a river like the Merrimack doesn't support a run, or does it? A breakwater and/or mouth is typically too rough for them? The rods we used many moons ago were these long bamboo rods.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2023, 03:29 PM »
Thanks for tips. Is that why a river like the Merrimack doesn't support a run, or does it? A breakwater and/or mouth is typically too rough for them? The rods we used many moons ago were these long bamboo rods.

Merrimack  has/had smelt, many years ago, we used to fish them in the fall in the basin, from aluminum boats,the docks at Hudsons and Bridge marina also were fishable,  the problem with the merrimack is lack of suitable access and  a screaming tide.. ive also got them,in the Plum island river..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2023, 05:41 PM »
Merrimack  has/had smelt, many years ago, we used to fish them in the fall in the basin, from aluminum boats,the docks at Hudsons and Bridge marina also were fishable,  the problem with the merrimack is lack of suitable access and  a screaming tide.. ive also got them,in the Plum island river..

Good history here. 

Offline fish2131

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:48 PM »
Ran inside Hampton harbor in late sept and october small ones like bait size

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2023, 07:52 PM »
Ran inside Hampton harbor in late sept and october small ones like bait size
Used to get some richous jack smelts in Hampton,  so many places used to be so good, Danvers river and Popes landing, good day or night, Chelsea creek in Winthrop..I've still got a pair of telescoping smelt rods I haven't used in 40 or more years.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.