Author Topic: Bycatch  (Read 1582 times)

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bycatch
« on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:17 PM »
Was targeting lakers there other day and this guy hit the bucktail. Steady diet of crayfish. Also found my buddies sucker meat that he lost about an hour prior and 75 yards away......

Every fish is a good fish!

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Bycatch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:20 PM »
Solid!  Looks like you have a bonus crawdaddy app to go with your chowdah.  Pass the cocktail sauce!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:27 PM »
Nice Cusk!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:31 PM »
Very nice, you'll be eating well.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:48 PM »
My fav. Gonna be eatin good Digs
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2023, 03:57 PM »
Chowda!..

Biggest cusk never got was jigging  lakers..

Nice,!
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2023, 04:17 PM »
Nice! Chowder or cubed and deep fried deliciousness!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2023, 04:35 PM »
That’s some good eats !   Cusk nuggets, nice work
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2023, 04:56 PM »
Nice cusk! I’ve never had cusk chowder but have heard good things. Going to try it this year

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:36 PM »
Nice "Burbot"  ;). I have always wanted to catch and eat one. No such luck here. A couple of lakes north (a ways) from me have them though. But a question...  what's the attraction to Lakers? Around these parts...not a big target for table fare. Most smoke them. Preferred Salmon/Trout are Kings, Browns and Steelhead. Personally,  I don't like any of them. Fun to catch but...
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2023, 06:13 PM »
Nice "Burbot"  ;). I have always wanted to catch and eat one. No such luck here. A couple of lakes north (a ways) from me have them though. But a question...  what's the attraction to Lakers? Around these parts...not a big target for table fare. Most smoke them. Preferred Salmon/Trout are Kings, Browns and Steelhead. Personally,  I don't like any of them. Fun to catch but...

I think it’s because it’s the biggest species one would typically have a shot at here. They’re willingness to take jigs ( usually) they’re also Native and you don’t need to rely on a stocking program.

I’d say most here just catch and release. Cusk, Crappie, and white perch are probably most folks favorite  popular table fare.

I’d venture to guess most of the state has never caught or seen a Walleye or Pike here though it is possible in a couple spots.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 26, 2023, 06:16 PM »

With ya on the lakers, they are OK if you eat fresh , but fight like an old boot IMHO , Rainbows and Brookies are the main trout. browns provide mystique,  my favorite fish are white perch and crappie,and I dedicate  my time to them,  especially  whites,we get alot of small mouth bass, sometimes they can be a nuisance..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2023, 08:40 PM »
Had one laker for dinner once a couple years ago tasted like mud catch and release here crappie and perch are both great table fare!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2023, 09:14 PM »
I think it’s because it’s the biggest species one would typically have a shot at here. They’re willingness to take jigs ( usually) they’re also Native and you don’t need to rely on a stocking program.

I’d say most here just catch and release. Cusk, Crappie, and white perch are probably most folks favorite  popular table fare.

I’d venture to guess most of the state has never caught or seen a Walleye or Pike here though it is possible in a couple spots.
Yep Frank nailed it in the head. I've kept a couple and they aren't terrible to eat. I bake with lemon butter s&p and down the hatch. I target them for the fun. They are good fighters on the jig rod.

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 26, 2023, 09:15 PM »
Thanks guys! Back at it tomorrow

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2023, 06:25 AM »
Very nice by-catch!

Also good to see that the rock bass haven't eaten all the crayfish...even tho I'm sure that they try.... ::)

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2023, 07:20 AM »
Has anyone here ever eaten rock bass? do they taste like crappie or perch?
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #17 on: Jan 27, 2023, 07:24 AM »

I have not. Some people say they're good...some say mushy. There is/was a group/thread on here dedicated to Rock Bass.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 27, 2023, 07:32 AM »
Nice cusk, very good eating also, I do well for them in March on jigs in 30-60 feet of water on the big lake     Enjoy and congrats on your by catch

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2023, 07:34 AM »
Nice cusk, very good eating also, I do well for them in March on jigs in 30-60 feet of water on the big lake     Enjoy and congrats on your by catch

On the opposite end of the spectrum. I do well in March in 3-10 FOW on my Rainbow sets just after there spawn

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 27, 2023, 08:28 AM »

I have - they are pretty good, but most are filled w/ those little black parasites.  I assume b/c they eat alot of snails.  If you can get over the parasites, they taste like sunfish (most sunfish have the same black parasites).  You can pick alot of the parasites out w/ the point of a filet knife or be a little loose w/ your filleting or cook extra long.

Next I'm guessing that you're going to ask what sunfish taste like...

So, I'll try to rank panfish by taste (for me), crappie are a solid #1, then yellow perch, then rock bass/sunfish...then white perch.

Alot of this is personal preference.

For more info on fish parasites...
https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/grubby-fish.html

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 27, 2023, 08:45 AM »
Nice info AA  I never tried that shallow, usually have one tackle for lakers, and jig for lakers  with the other line, and catch a lot of nice sized cusk while doing so in March , but they are mostly on the jig instead of the tackle ? Swedish pimple or blade baits work well for me.   I always wondered why they hit the jig instead of live bait more regularly, at least for me ?   I fillet them the same as the lakers and shallow fry them, I like them both that way

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 27, 2023, 08:45 AM »
I have - they are pretty good, but most are filled w/ those little black parasites.  I assume b/c they eat alot of snails.  If you can get over the parasites, they taste like sunfish (most sunfish have the same black parasites).  You can pick alot of the parasites out w/ the point of a filet knife or be a little loose w/ your filleting or cook extra long.

Next I'm guessing that you're going to ask what sunfish taste like...

So, I'll try to rank panfish by taste (for me), crappie are a solid #1, then yellow perch, then rock bass/sunfish...then white perch

Alot of this is personal preference.

For more info on fish parasites...
https://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/fishing/grubby-fish.html

Nice thanks!
I  do know what sunfish taste like i can see the similarities between them good to know. I understand its a personal preference but a little shocked whites are at the end of your spectrum.

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 27, 2023, 08:48 AM »
Nice cusk Digs!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 27, 2023, 08:50 AM »
Nice info AA  I never tried that shallow, usually have one tackle for lakers, and jig for lakers  with the other line, and catch a lot of nice sized cusk while doing so in March , but they are mostly on the jig instead of the tackle ? Swedish pimple or blade baits work well for me.   I always wondered why they hit the jig instead of live bait more regularly, at least for me ?   I fillet them the same as the lakers and shallow fry them, I like them both that way

I don’t target Cusk per say but I’ll leave cusk lines in my Rainbow holes overnight and that time of year it’s always 6 Cusk in the AM on the big lake and all above my usual avg. size. This is in sand also. Adjacent to rock piles or break walls. At night you can def get them In shallow on the jig I just never do it anymore. Someday when I’m retired and kids are done sports.

I like glow jigs best with a piece of meat. I think it’s the action ringing a dinner bell. Even on my cusk lines I know of guys who stomp out a smelt or shiner or what not and send it down, I usually do 2 big shiners fighting against each other to create a commotion.

I enjoy eating them, just not worth how I feel the next day anymore with my hectic schedule.

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:01 AM »
  Again nice info AA  My kids are all grown up and I retired at 62 to do the things I like, before the years get much harder on the body.  I do not have a cell phone and am not great with all the electronic devices  of today's world.  So I can not post pics, I do enjoy reading the post on here and always enjoy your down to earth comments " lol "   It is what the world needs , If I dare say without being bashed, You kind of remind me of the Donald and I mean that in a Good way so please do not take offense I hope it makes you lyao

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:02 AM »
Posts with fish, and information, not a topic started asking something by someone who doesn’t get involved or even respond after there spoon fed trip. hmmmmmm, I’m the problem here. Good call!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:03 AM »
  Again nice info AA  My kids are all grown up and I retired at 62 to do the things I like, before the years get much harder on the body.  I do not have a cell phone and am not great with all the electronic devices  of today's world.  So I can not post pics, I do enjoy reading the post on here and always enjoy your down to earth comments " lol "   It is what the world needs , If I dare say without being bashed, You kind of remind me of the Donald and I mean that in a Good way so please do not take offense I hope it makes you lyao

PM me for info anytime!

Offline gunvault

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:16 AM »
Thank you, I wish you and your family the very Best, and to all the great guys on this site, there seems to be a  group of decent guys who enjoy the Great outdoors ,which gives us such good days and memories.  Best of wishes to you and them alike   tight lines and clean shots               
      be safe and enjoy 

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 27, 2023, 09:17 AM »
Thank you, I wish you and your family the very Best, and to all the great guys on this site, there seems to be a  group of decent guys who enjoy the Great outdoors ,which gives us such good days and memories.  Best of wishes to you and them alike   tight lines and clean shots               
      be safe and enjoy

Cheers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.