Author Topic: wolfeboro area  (Read 991 times)

Offline Serveert

• IceShanty Rookie
wolfeboro area
« on: Jan 25, 2023, 11:15 PM »
Ok guys, ready to get beat up but here goes.  Heading up with a crew Friday morning.  I'm afraid our place in SW wolfeboro bay we're renting won't be ready ice-wise.  Been on the f&g site and google maps looking at New Durham, Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro.  Just a few of us heading up Friday so I realize we may be scouting ice and never getting a line in Friday.  Not asking for places to fish so much as places to not waste our time, and not regarding ice conditions but more access, parking.  Knights, Gilman, Shaws, Sargeants, Lower Beech?  Will probably drive up 109 and check out Mirror and 19 mile anyway.  Thanks on any suggestions, figure Berry's will give me some leads too.  I know how this site works, I also know I'd tell you anything about North Shore Mass spots if asked.  And for the record, it's not "for the kids", just a bunch of 50 year old dudes if that's better or worse!  Really just asking what not to bother with, Thanks

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: wolfeboro area
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2023, 11:48 PM »
Ok guys, ready to get beat up but here goes.  Heading up with a crew Friday morning.  I'm afraid our place in SW wolfeboro bay we're renting won't be ready ice-wise.  Been on the f&g site and google maps looking at New Durham, Wolfeboro, Tuftonboro.  Just a few of us heading up Friday so I realize we may be scouting ice and never getting a line in Friday.  Not asking for places to fish so much as places to not waste our time, and not regarding ice conditions but more access, parking.  Knights, Gilman, Shaws, Sargeants, Lower Beech?  Will probably drive up 109 and check out Mirror and 19 mile anyway.  Thanks on any suggestions, figure Berry's will give me some leads too.  I know how this site works, I also know I'd tell you anything about North Shore Mass spots if asked.  And for the record, it's not "for the kids", just a bunch of 50 year old dudes if that's better or worse!  Really just asking what not to bother with, Thanks

Hi there! You'll get beat up asking for location advice here, for sure, but I'll leave that to those with a special proclivity in that field. I was out on 19 Mile beach on Tuesday, before the latest weather front. While it was tough trudging through 1-2' of wet snow on top of 2-3' of wet slush, the gray ice was pretty consistently 6". Now, a lot can happen in 48 hours, but that's what I saw on Tuesday. I'm from MA as well, and have a 2+ hour drive to Winni ice. Today (Thursday) I may actually give Squam Lake a try for the first time - it's about the same driving distance. Also, the ice was similar on 20 Mile Beach on Tuesday. I hope you find some good ice and solid bite. Be safe! /Fred 
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline Serveert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2023, 11:54 PM »
Thanks Fred, much appreciated.  I fish Melvin Bay all summer so I know 19 and 20 well..thinking that will be our default if safe.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2023, 12:00 AM »
Thanks Fred, much appreciated.  I fish Melvin Bay all summer so I know 19 and 20 well..thinking that will be our default if safe.

I think you should be good there, but watch out for pressure ridges, covered drain holes, and check ice frequently as you advance. The heavy snow and temp fluctuations make it unpredictable. Also, a correction: I'm not actually from MA, I'm from the land of the Swedish Pimple, but I now live in MA, new to ice fishing in this part of the world (though not new to ice fishing).
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline Serveert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2023, 12:07 AM »
Thanks again, if we ever get some ice here in MA I'll track you down...I do mostly warm water stuff in the Melrose area here.

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:25 AM »
Sent you a pm
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.