Author Topic: ? Trout on tip ups  (Read 950 times)

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
? Trout on tip ups
« on: Jan 25, 2023, 09:29 PM »
What style and size hook do you use for catch and release trout fishing with tip ups using eggs and worms?

Thank you,
Mike

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: ? Trout on tip ups
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2023, 09:41 PM »
What style and size hook do you use for catch and release trout fishing with tip ups using eggs and worms?

Thank you,
Mike

# 8’s and 10’s for worms and Eggs for me. If they are small trout  12’s and even 14’s can work but 8’s and 10’s are a good all around depending on egg brand. I like the bigger eggs ( Mikes, Atlas )so I use 8’s. 10’s or smaller would work better with Pautzkee.  Plus the wider bend in the hook sticks around the bony part of their jaw better on larger fish. If I have real large live bait I’ll even go to a 6 hook.

Gamakatsu octo are my favorite hook for egging.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2023, 10:04 PM »
^^^^^
Spot on!
  For eggs, Gamy octos for me as well hands down. Strong shank/bend and they hold sharp longer. Size depends on size of egg/worm but I usually use an 8 all around most of the time.  I sometimes go to an Owner as well(depending on species) when fishing a 6 or larger, but that's with live bait not eggs.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline Erb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2023, 10:46 PM »
# 8’s and 10’s for worms and Eggs for me. If they are small trout  12’s and even 14’s can work but 8’s and 10’s are a good all around depending on egg brand. I like the bigger eggs ( Mikes, Atlas )so I use 8’s. 10’s or smaller would work better with Pautzkee.  Plus the wider bend in the hook sticks around the bony part of their jaw better on larger fish. If I have real large live bait I’ll even go to a 6 hook.

Gamakatsu octo are my favorite hook for egging.

How about the opposite, what do you use on traps for bass pickerel yellows? I have been losing a lot of fish wondering if my hooks are too small?

Offline george_l

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2023, 11:56 PM »
I've been using a #2 on my bass/large bait setups.

I hardly ever lose a fish.  That is until my wife lost one last weekend! :-)

Offline Dirt23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2023, 05:19 AM »
X3 on gamy octo 8s that's pretty much exclusive for everything I fish with exception of  a large sucker for laker then #6 hooks. They are nice and strong and i actually find the finer wire can be easier to bury on hookset than that of larger hooks

Offline Steamtrain

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 26, 2023, 06:43 AM »
Thank you for the replies.  :tipup:

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2023, 06:48 AM »

How about the opposite, what do you use on traps for bass pickerel yellows? I have been losing a lot of fish wondering if my hooks are too small?

I never go bigger than a 6 but I’m not a Bass guy.

Jibbs would be a good guy to ask.
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2023, 06:53 AM »
Same as AA for trout

For  whites and everyday fishing 8'  6lb  floro and owner #4  hooks

For pickerel/bass 3' 20 lb Ande because it's cheap and floro isnt needed for either one of those gluttons. I tie an Owner #2 to the end of the line

When I fish Pike, 3'  of #50 floro and hook according to bait size, usually 1/0
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2023, 07:15 AM »

For bass I still stick to a small hook, 8 or 10... I used to use much larger but found it really didn't help with hook ups and I think i keeps the shiner from swimming more naturally.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2023, 08:21 AM »

Owner SSW octo #4 if I fish warm water species
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.