The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Southern Cove Moosehead  (Read 2048 times)

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
Southern Cove Moosehead
« on: Jan 23, 2023, 09:07 PM »
Renting a house in the southern cove with the family. They are young is it worth fishing right there or best bet to pack everyone up and haul further up the lake. Looks very shallow.

Online eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Southern Cove Moosehead
« Reply #1 on: Jan 24, 2023, 08:34 AM »
There are yellow perch and cusk in there, and the odd salmon or togue. Best bet is to get farther north just about anywhere there is structure.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 24, 2023, 03:36 PM »
I’m not sure if you have a snow machine to travel on the lake with?
There are spots in Sandy bay that are good. Out by Moose island or Harfords  point to Burnt jacket point.

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 24, 2023, 06:13 PM »
Yes, have a few snow machines, and a pop up. So might take the youngins north

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2023, 06:44 PM »
Yes, have a few snow machines, and a pop up. So might take the youngins north

I don't know when you are going but they posted the lake as unsafe for snowmobiles in the last few days and will not be marking the lake trails until it is safe to do so. If you are familiar with the lake I am sure you can get around, but if you are new to it there are lots of sketchy spots out there.

Online eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2023, 06:52 PM »
I don't know when you are going but they posted the lake as unsafe for snowmobiles in the last few days and will not be marking the lake trails until it is safe to do so. If you are familiar with the lake I am sure you can get around, but if you are new to it there are lots of sketchy spots out there.

Good post. Today was the first time I rode across the lake into Sandy Bay, and I was juuusssstttt a little nervous. Ive been checking the ice daily, some places have 8", then you find a 4. A bunch of snow tomorrow won't help. I would not recommend taking kids up the lake this week.

Offline mzhoward

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2023, 06:54 PM »
Cusk biting already? I thought they waited till mid february?

Online eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 24, 2023, 07:47 PM »

I got a couple the other night. It gets better later in the season. I'm not a cusk expert, but I think they move shallower to spawn.

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 24, 2023, 08:12 PM »
Heading up Feb 23rd for school vacation. Hopefully ice is thicker then and also open to salmon after the 15th. Perch are good for the kids so that's fine.

Offline Sebasticook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2023, 10:18 AM »
Good post. Today was the first time I rode across the lake into Sandy Bay, and I was juuusssstttt a little nervous. Ive been checking the ice daily, some places have 8", then you find a 4. A bunch of snow tomorrow won't help. I would not recommend taking kids up the lake this week.

Where did you start to get to Sandy Bay? I'll be staying in town this weekend and looking to fish the southern end of the lake......probably south of Sandy Bay.  Did you go up the East shore to get there?  Just curious where people are going around the southern part.  Thanks

Offline Wago14

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2023, 12:12 PM »

You can catch Cusk all winter. They come into shallower water late in the winter, making catching them, especially larger ones easier to hook into.

Online eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2023, 02:47 PM »
Where did you start to get to Sandy Bay? I'll be staying in town this weekend and looking to fish the southern end of the lake......probably south of Sandy Bay.  Did you go up the East shore to get there?  Just curious where people are going around the southern part.  Thanks

I came from west of Moose Island that time. Today I rode south to town and back, twice. There are numerous tracks from town headed up the east shore. None going up the middle. I suspect the lake will be a slushy mess after tonight's storm, unless it blows off.

Offline 413iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2023, 02:01 PM »
Fished the cove today and was skunked...we put out 10 traps tomorrow we will try to move further north up the lake. Always worth a shot trying to snag one infront of the house.

Offline Moosekill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2023, 12:45 PM »
Just be careful when you ride on moosehead, it is a scary dangerous lake to snowmobile on.  Even in good years, pressure ridges pop up, open up, drop down, etc, overnight, or during the day.  That trail that was fine this morning might have 6' of open water in the afternoon.  Much better to take trails if you are going any distance.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.