Author Topic: Sharpening a Nils Auger  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sharpening a Nils Auger
« on: Jan 23, 2023, 02:23 PM »
NH Ice Shanty members,

I'm curious if anyone has contact info on someone who sharpens Nils augers? I can go to tackle shack in Newbury they got a guy in Meredith, but it's two weeks lead time. Any other suggestions or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Sharpening a Nils Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2023, 02:34 PM »
NH Ice Shanty members,

I'm curious if anyone has contact info on someone who sharpens Nils augers? I can go to tackle shack in Newbury they got a guy in Meredith, but it's two weeks lead time. Any other suggestions or contacts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby

When I had my Nils, I bought a spare head…I sent it to some guy in The Midwest but I can’t recall his name or info. Good luck! You can always have a new head overnighted to you and have a spare?

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2023, 02:46 PM »
Frank deluca, send it out he puts a nice edge on it you’ll have it back within a week

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2023, 02:58 PM »
Frank deluca, send it out he puts a nice edge on it you’ll have it back within a week

He does an amazing and timely job. I’ve sent heads out to Minnesota multiple times and very happy with the results.

I believe he is in this site and a sponsor
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2023, 03:12 PM »
He does an amazing and timely job. I’ve sent heads out to Minnesota multiple times and very happy with the results.

I believe he is in this site and a sponsor

Agreed I think he put a sharper edge on it even from factory

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2023, 03:16 PM »
I smartened up this year tho and bought an extra head so I always have a backup. Couldn’t find them anywhere online AGAIN,but was at the tackle shack in merideth and they had one waiting for me. I think I paid 120 for it but least I got it now.

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2023, 03:26 PM »
I have sent two into a place in Ashby ,Mass with no problems.They too are an authorized sharpener for Nils. Fish USA usually has spare heads for the online shopper.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2023, 03:33 PM »

Yup, that’s the guy!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2023, 03:54 PM »
 Sharp nils has been doing for some time now ,
 Also had small engine repair do a couple , they also did a nice job , frank actually called me on a head from the 80s as it was getting toward the end of its career, to get another sharpening or 2 he changed the pitch , so it’s super aggressive, I thought that was stand up in my book

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2023, 06:18 PM »
I thought I saw somewhere Frank retired, he undoubtedly  was/is the best, my 2 happiest days, the day I got my mils and the day I got rid of it.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2023, 07:20 PM »
Yeah honestly there are not all that. They cut sweet right out of the box then they suck. Way too finicky and the sharpening process is sub optimal. Blades are way to sensitive to damage and if aren't sharpened correctly they suck. My mora with offset handle never let's me down and I can find blades everywhere for under 50 dollars. Frank is the best the shop in mass destroyed my blade. NH is were NILS goes to die.
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2023, 07:48 PM »
Yeah honestly there are not all that. They cut sweet right out of the box then they suck. Way too finicky and the sharpening process is sub optimal. Blades are way to sensitive to damage and if aren't sharpened correctly they suck. My mora with offset handle never let's me down and I can find blades everywhere for under 50 dollars. Frank is the best the shop in mass destroyed my blade. NH is were NILS goes to die.

This is pretty spot on. I love Nils but they are a finicky b***h

Still only only thing I’d hand drill with.

Frank is the man I wouldn’t send it anywhere else

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2023, 07:56 PM »
First trip with mine was smelt fishing on the Swamscott.nice tool. it just didnt agree with the salt ice. it lasted  2 holes and I went back to.my chainsaw,  after being sent out, I used it rainbow fishing  on Winni, right in front of a beautiful sandy beach.. I didnt hit bottom, but that thing was  duller than a butter knife bye the end of the day..
Its a great tool used under the right conditions.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2023, 07:57 PM »
First trip with mine was smelt fishing on the Swamscott.nice tool. it just didnt agree with the salt ice. it lasted  2 holes and I went back to.my chainsaw,  after being sent out, I used it rainbow fishing  on Winni, right in front of a beautiful sandy beach.. I didnt hit bottom, but that thing was  duller than a butter knife bye the end of the day..
Its a great tool used under the right conditions.

100% would never use one on salt

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2023, 08:07 PM »
100% would never use one on salt
[/quote I know that mow ;D

Offline chemit

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2023, 05:46 AM »
Great post, I'm Chris and I live up in Twin Mountain. I haven't had too many opportunities to visit the page but this topic caught my eye. I own a Nils and it is definitely a love hate relationship. I feel as a hand auger it is probably one of the smoothest I've used. I tried it using a drill and find it far less efficient. I can't replicate the subtle orbit motion the handle provides when using a drill. The orbit seems to make all the difference in my experience. For me I will likely move to one of the twin blades soon for power drilling and keep my Nils strictly as a hand auger. 

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2023, 11:40 AM »
Folks,

Thank you all!

I truly appreciate it.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2023, 11:42 AM »
Fish307 in NY had a Nils blade exchange program for a while.  Give them the old one buy a sharpened one.  Worked well for me.

Offline Fishin_603

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 24, 2023, 04:46 PM »
How do you guys feel about the k drill?only used one once but I kinda liked how light it was and seemed to cut good.  still think nills is top notch     
I’ve only had to sharpen one head due to drilling the sand. Other than that,low speed hi torque with a good drill you’re golden. If you start going at higher speeds it moves the head and bounces around causing it to dull.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 24, 2023, 08:08 PM »
How do you guys feel about the k drill?only used one once but I kinda liked how light it was and seemed to cut good.  still think nills is top notch     
I’ve only had to sharpen one head due to drilling the sand. Other than that,low speed hi torque with a good drill you’re golden. If you start going at higher speeds it moves the head and bounces around causing it to dull.
I will answer my 2 cents.
I recently used and Eskimo pistol bit size 8 inch on a Milwaukee drill light as he'll and smoking fast. I am considering buying one.  I guy at the local bait ahop has a k drill with a Dewalt. He said his friend's Eskimo pistol bit cut holes twice as fast. I'd try both out if you can. I tried a k drill sat the Eskimo is a little bit faster  and it can use ion or Eskimo blades so easier to locate blades in a pinch. Just my opinion
Salmonemia

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 24, 2023, 08:21 PM »
What ever you choose, be sure its something you can get serviced or service yourself, 1 or 2 seconds faster shouldn't  be your deciding factor , choosing  what best suits your system THis what you need to do..

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 24, 2023, 09:27 PM »
What ever you choose, be sure its something you can get serviced or service yourself, 1 or 2 seconds faster shouldn't  be your deciding factor , choosing  what best suits your system THis what you need to do..
True
Salmonemia

Offline Serveert

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 24, 2023, 09:48 PM »
I've sent out to Frank Deluca a few times, very quick turnaround and quality work.  I'll be sad for me, happy for him if he did hang it up.  I started with a 6" hand Nils and got a second head.  Now I run an 8" Nile with a Clam Plate and I love it, but I can testify to how finicky they can be.  Well not even, the bonehead move I made drilling into pure sand last year when I thought I was in 6' but was really in 3' was hard dumb...fortunately have a backup 8" as well.  Good luck, I leaned towards them originally to avoid a gas auger in an suv 10 years ago but I can see the logic in electric or propane in hindsight.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #24 on: Jan 24, 2023, 10:07 PM »
I adopted a kdrill this year, was a christmas gift from the now ex gf.  (God bless her) It works fine but its shorter than my nils.  Much lighter but doesnt cut as fast.  Even though it's a 6" and the nils is an 8".  Different uses for each vs one being better than the other.  Thick ice I dont want look like I am banging the hole to get chips out and its something you need to do with the kdrill.  Nils is heavy and long, so doesnt fit under the otter cover the best.  Its been reliable and also the blades I have, have the powerpoints and I love that design.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 25, 2023, 07:46 AM »

I bought a 8.5 kdrill 2 years ago i would never go back its a great unit paired with a 18 volt milwaukee brushless hammer drill has all the power you need.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2023, 07:53 AM »
I work in a shop in Nashua.  I can turn them around quickly if you dont have anyone.  PM me and I will get you the address.
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2023, 08:14 AM »
I work in a shop in Nashua.  I can turn them around quickly if you dont have anyone.  PM me and I will get you the address.

You can do a Nils?

You could corner a bell of a market if you can

Offline dbickom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2023, 08:36 AM »

We can.  We are a full service sharpening shop.  New England Sharpening in Nashua NH.
Good things come to those who Bait!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2023, 08:39 AM »
We can.  We are a full service sharpening shop.  New England Sharpening in Nashua NH.

Very nice! I know nothing about the process but everyone in the know seems to think it’s not your same old song and dance. I think that’s why Frank is so highly regarded myself feeling the same too.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.