The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Ice is shaping up  (Read 1731 times)

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
Ice is shaping up
« on: Jan 22, 2023, 06:22 PM »
Pushaw has 10 inches or more close to shore and about 8 or 9 500 feet out.  Managed a couple of Pickeral today but was pretty slow.  In about 4 miles of lake there were exactly 3 groups fishing.  For the first time this year I saw a couple of machines out on the ice along with some skiers.  One group appeared to have a snow dog which is the first one I've ever seen in Maine.  Looked like they were towing a couple of sleds with it.  Anyway, the ice is gaining so that has to be a good sign with low night temps for a week or so. 

Offline mzhoward

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ice is shaping up
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2023, 07:08 PM »
It’s gonna be a good year. It always is for us who have all our gear and venture out in foot. With low cost cones low pressure to get the time in. We never fished less than four hours, it was at least four hours round trip to get out there and back.

I enjoyed my childhood multi day trips with sleds and a shack up in Lilly bay, but I understand the effort now and cost.  Now I am happy for a few flags and an hour or two.

No flags? Just another excuse to relax for half an hour… and then go tend then and move them.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2023, 07:31 PM »
This weekend was great here (Range Pond) with mild temps. and no wind.
I got a hockey rink cleared before the last warm spell so it melted a bit and smoothed out and refroze to perfect before the last snow.
Then I shoveled it Sat. morning and we had great skating/hockey all weekend while the fish weren't biting.
8" of snow coming tonight. Then 10" of snow, then rain and 40 deg. on Thursday. I don't know if I'll be able to keep up on the the rink. Or even my driveway/dooryards.
And our 6" of ice might take a hit from this snow/rain weight so it doesn't look good for snowmobiling here this year. We have plenty of snow but I'm not taking my snowmobile out on 6" of ice. And the pond is my only way to get to the trails (unless I trailer it somewhere).

So... no...the ice is not shaping up here.

Offline Fish Wayniac

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 24, 2023, 07:08 PM »
Pushaw was slow this past weekend, but great to be out. We lost a monster.. the big ones always get away. The snowdog by the twin islands was me and my daughter. First time I’ve had it on the ice. Great little rig. If you see us again stop by and say hi. Probably be out there this weekend.
It's fishing, not catching....

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2023, 07:26 PM »
Pushaw was slow this past weekend, but great to be out. We lost a monster.. the big ones always get away. The snowdog by the twin islands was me and my daughter. First time I’ve had it on the ice. Great little rig. If you see us again stop by and say hi. Probably be out there this weekend.

Chances are what got away was a Pike.  More of them at the north end but they get down by the twin islands also.  Hopefully you were off the ledge out there.  It drops pretty good to the west of the line of buoys. 

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2023, 09:31 PM »
Definitely a pike. we’ll get ‘em next time. :tipup:

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2023, 07:37 PM »
Pushaw has tightened up pretty well. Slow today, but still a beautiful day to be out!

Offline Jack978

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 31, 2023, 01:14 PM »
Pushaw has tightened up pretty well. Slow today, but still a beautiful day to be out!

So did the monster Pike come back?  Last time I was out was slow too.

Offline GNFISHIN

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2023, 04:42 PM »
No big pike… yet. Couple pickerel and perch. Kids had fun, so total success.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.