New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake george Questions  (Read 3040 times)

Offline Fadetoblack188

• IceShanty Rookie
Lake george Questions
« on: Jan 12, 2023, 12:48 PM »
looking to head up to lake George this season for some lakers through the ice.

mostly likely fish the north side of the lake. i guess parking can be tricky.

what dates are best to fish the lake? January probably still to warm? February and all march?

also can atvs and snowmobiles be used on the lake? thanks

Offline outlaw5oo

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Lake george Questions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2023, 12:57 PM »
Lake george may not even freeze this year. Mid to late February is best bet if it does and atvs and snowmobile are good to go there.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2023, 09:10 PM »

Offline 60Fishman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2023, 09:42 PM »
Woulld be shocked if the Main lkae freezes this year.  There is no real cold weather in site for almost 2 more weeks.  We would need a wicked cold snap with several below zero nights for that to happen.  The Bays will freeze, my guess is that will be it. 

The north basin is also typically the last part of the lake to freeze. 

Offline PSCfishingking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2023, 10:11 PM »
Agreed, less than a 10% chance the main body freezes this year. There have been colder years where it hasn't frozen over.  Sorry for the bad news...

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:58 AM »
I disagree.  We had a year where in March, the main body froze for 3 days.  Me and some other nuts made it out on the third day.  From 5am to maybe I made it to 11.  The next day...all gone. The fishing was bananas, and it us right now with zero pressure.  I love it.

Fishmon

« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2023, 07:54 AM »
Really doubt that main lake will freeze over this year, especially the north end. I have a place in Hague and in most years it starts to freeze over from the Sabbath Day Point/Huletts area northward past Silver Bay. The last place to ice over is in Hague area where lake is widest.  Wind also plays a big part in this.   It takes a good stretch of calm, cold nights and days to lock up the big open areas.  The weather forecast for next two weeks is not encouraging.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2023, 09:43 AM »
Have you been out and seen the water temp fishmon?  I think if you saw what I saw in the boat your opinion may be much different.  The only thing needed is a week of cold up there and I wont be taking the boat anymore.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2023, 06:21 PM »
Harris bay should freeze and be fishable soon. It always freezes even if the main lake does not. :)
Master Laker taker.

Fishmon

« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2023, 08:39 AM »
Have you been out and seen the water temp fishmon?  I think if you saw what I saw in the boat your opinion may be much different.  The only thing needed is a week of cold up there and I wont be taking the boat anymore.

Wind is key factor since it sets up Langmuir circulation patterns that cause the foam lines you see on windy days.  The circulation draws up warmer water that makes freeze ups more difficult on the bigger lakes due to larger waves and more intense circulation.  The circulation pattern is perpendicular to the wave direction. 

Offline finsntins

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2023, 11:41 AM »
is million dollar beach open to launch a boat or do they close it off?

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Fadetoblack188

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2023, 09:32 AM »
ofcourse the year i wanna make a trip up its not gunna freeze

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2023, 11:33 AM »
Wind is key factor since it sets up Langmuir circulation patterns that cause the foam lines you see on windy days.  The circulation draws up warmer water that makes freeze ups more difficult on the bigger lakes due to larger waves and more intense circulation.  The circulation pattern is perpendicular to the wave direction.

Measuring water temp from surface to 100ft down and the warm water (warmest 40) isnt there.  LG isnt ontario or even champlain.  No significant upwelling.  Water temp is 38 down about half way from the surface as of last week.  Schroon similar...now capping.

Offline can_of_worms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2023, 11:14 AM »
Hello all, going off track a little. We are heading to Hague for a week, Feb 19 - 26. We have been coming up for nearly 20 years and always worry about the ice. It looks like a nice cold snap is going to settle in up there shortly. I am pretty certain it won't be fishable in Hague, but what are your thoughts about Rogers Rock. I am hopeful it will have ice. thanks, in advance.

Rob

Offline Jake1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2023, 04:56 PM »
not to be a pessimist but I highly doubt l.g will fishable anywhere. we would need a solid week of near zero to have a shot. hope I am wrong. last year 1/31 I was on with my first limit of perch. very depressing this year

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 21, 2023, 06:05 PM »
not to be a pessimist but I highly doubt l.g will fishable anywhere. we would need a solid week of near zero to have a shot. hope I am wrong. last year 1/31 I was on with my first limit of perch. very depressing this year
Was also -20 couple nights last year already

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2023, 02:06 PM »
The main lake will be tough to get to lock unless something drastic happens, but some of the smaller bays have a decent chance of locking up next weekend if the temps hold and the wind dies down. The Algonquin camera currently shows ice a little past the docks and hey that's a start at least.

http://webcam.thealgonquin.com:8080/view/view.shtml?id=11036&imagepath=%2Fmjpg%2Fvideo.mjpg&size=1

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2023, 10:24 PM »
Hello all, going off track a little. We are heading to Hague for a week, Feb 19 - 26. We have been coming up for nearly 20 years and always worry about the ice. It looks like a nice cold snap is going to settle in up there shortly. I am pretty certain it won't be fishable in Hague, but what are your thoughts about Rogers Rock. I am hopeful it will have ice. thanks, in advance.

Rob

Any answer is a gamble but my guess is no.  Also access up there is starting to become obsolete because of too many public mentions.  Youll see when you go.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.