Author Topic: M-18 2904/ 8AH/ 8" Lite-Flite Update.  (Read 5513 times)

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: M-18 2904/ 8AH/ 8" Lite-Flite Update.
« Reply #30 on: Jan 06, 2023, 09:55 AM »
eBay and Facebook marketplace have great deals on Milwaukee. The 2904 tool only is available on Facebook marketplace for 100-120 dollars (tool only). I got my 8ah Milwaukee battery new in package for 130 on eBay and the drill for 120.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #31 on: Jan 06, 2023, 10:27 AM »
Is that Canadian prices? I have the Milwaukee Fuel 2803 with two 5.0 batteries, charger and 8"SM Lite Flite for $300. Did add the $80 clam plate pro which required a $16 adapter and splurged on the $25 magnetic cover. Still less than $425 USD all in. Gotta find those deals!

That's like my 1st m18/auger setup.  This one is the 2904 (1400 VS. 1200), the 8.0 ah uses newer technology batteries and charger, couldn't find a liteflite any cheaper anywhere.

Besides I wanted it NOW! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2023, 01:49 AM »
This one is the 2904 (1400 VS. 1200), the 8.0 ah uses newer technology batteries and charger...

This is the drill I am using this year. I already had an 8ah battery and used the 8 inch Lite-Flite last year. Cuts great and fast. Much more efficient than the Eskimo Pistol Bit, which I have used. Not nearly as much resistance as the Pistol Bit so I get a lot more holes with the Lite-Flite. Last week I drilled around 35 holes in 15 inches of solid, clear ice and still had 3 bars on my battery when I went to charge it that evening.

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2023, 08:22 AM »
I bit the bullet for this winter and got a new 2903 drill kit with 2 5 amp batts and Pistol bit. I still have not drilled enough holes in a day to kill 1 battery yet so not sure I need to go to 8 amp but was on my mind.
 I was going to go lite flte due to easier cutting but read and heard blades are not so durable and dull quicker than other and are hard to find a place to sharpen. Sandy ice is common around here so easy sharpening saves time and money and Pistol Bit is a great compromise. I wanted to stay away from the chipper blades as they are harder on the drills and batteries.

This is the drill I am using this year. I already had an 8ah battery and used the 8 inch Lite-Flite last year. Cuts great and fast. Much more efficient than the Eskimo Pistol Bit, which I have used. Not nearly as much resistance as the Pistol Bit so I get a lot more holes with the Lite-Flite. Last week I drilled around 35 holes in 15 inches of solid, clear ice and still had 3 bars on my battery when I went to charge it that evening.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2023, 08:50 AM »
I bit the bullet for this winter and got a new 2903 drill kit with 2 5 amp batts and Pistol bit. I still have not drilled enough holes in a day to kill 1 battery yet so not sure I need to go to 8 amp but was on my mind.
 I was going to go lite flte due to easier cutting but read and heard blades are not so durable and dull quicker than other and are hard to find a place to sharpen. Sandy ice is common around here so easy sharpening saves time and money and Pistol Bit is a great compromise. I wanted to stay away from the chipper blades as they are harder on the drills and batteries.

If you have a lot of sand ...chipper blades may be the way to go ..I originally started out with a refurbished Mil 2704/Clam Plate/7.5" K-drill..It drilled a lot of holes in the 10 in or so of ice I had at that time on a 5 ah battery. The Pistol Bit is the next option ..easier  and cheaper to find blades as they are Flat/Shaver/Mora blades ..the best of the best are Strikmaster stainless steel Mora blades but there are other cheaper options that you can have on hand ..plus with a small skill set you can resharpen them . The Lazer/Curved blades can be expensive to find/replace and do not like sand.

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer/curved style blades or  ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING /SHE SHED DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

Make/Model                                          Price

Vevor ..........                   Mora/straight   $$
HT Enterprise E Drill..   Mora/Straight    $$$
Eskimo Pistol Bit/ION.. Mora/Straight     $$$$
Strikemaster Lite Flite.  Lazer/Curved    $$$$
K Drill...                      Chipper             $$$$
Cabelas Eze Drill..........Mora/Straight    $$$
Nils.................. ..........                       $$$$$
Razr S                                                 $$$
Mora hand auger....     Mora/Straight      $$
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline BassWhacker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2023, 01:23 PM »
Absolutely love my 6" lite flite and milwaukee combo. I use an older 9.0 battery and it rips. I have never ran out of battery in a day of fishing and I'm not kidding when I say I drill a TON of holes each outing panfishing.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2023, 01:36 PM »
Absolutely love my 6" lite flite and milwaukee combo. I use an older 9.0 battery and it rips. I have never ran out of battery in a day of fishing and I'm not kidding when I say I drill a TON of holes each outing panfishing.

Yah peeps who drill 5-10 holes a day can get away with almost any drill auger combo.  Those of us that drill a TON of holes need the fastest and lightest combo! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2023, 02:01 PM »
Hardly ever buy a new set of blades. Just take the to any professional industrial sharp shop and they do my flat blades for around $10 ea. Come out as good as new and way cheaper than a new set and never have to send away. I start with 2 sets and just rotate if 1 gets dull and take them in and get done. Most of the time they will do them as I wait or next day latest.
 For this year on their electric I see even Jiffy has modified their ice blade from a chipper to a kind of hybrid chipper blade. Even they realized chippers are not so efficient for electrics.

If you have a lot of sand ...chipper blades may be the way to go ..I originally started out with a refurbished Mil 2704/Clam Plate/7.5" K-drill..It drilled a lot of holes in the 10 in or so of ice I had at that time on a 5 ah battery. The Pistol Bit is the next option ..easier  and cheaper to find blades as they are Flat/Shaver/Mora blades ..the best of the best are Strikmaster stainless steel Mora blades but there are other cheaper options that you can have on hand ..plus with a small skill set you can resharpen them . The Lazer/Curved blades can be expensive to find/replace and do not like sand.

All about the blades .1).K-Drill has Chipper style great for dirty ice Slowest and uses more battery ..2)Shaver style blade or Mora type ..Pistol Bit ..HT E-Drill ..Cableas Eze ..pretty fast and can be hand sharpen with some practice ..replacement blades fairly inexpensive . 3) Lazer/curved style blades or  ..Lite flight .. ..fastest but if used on dirty ice game over ..ie paper weight..replacement blades lil pricey.. I am not familar with the Razr ..but believe they have Lazer style blades .. next is weight ..metal heavier ..composite lighter . Having a center point is a great option ..most hand augers do not ..so skipping on glare ice is quite possible/dangerous . As for the Drill you will be using ..Brushless 725 in/lbs or better with 5ah battery or better..IF YOU GO WITH A UNDER POWERED UNDERTORQUED PICTURE HANGING /SHE SHED DRILL SET UP IT WILL BE AN EPIC FAIL EVENTUALLY..Buy the right drill and battery set up .

Make/Model                                          Price

Vevor ..........                   Mora/straight   $$
HT Enterprise E Drill..   Mora/Straight    $$$
Eskimo Pistol Bit/ION.. Mora/Straight     $$$$
Strikemaster Lite Flite.  Lazer/Curved    $$$$
K Drill...                      Chipper             $$$$
Cabelas Eze Drill..........Mora/Straight    $$$
Nils.................. ..........                       $$$$$
Razr S                                                 $$$
Mora hand auger....     Mora/Straight      $$

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 10, 2023, 05:20 PM »
I took the lite flite bit off my 24v Strikemaster and put it on my new 2904. Holy smokes, drills way faster! And way better! Yes it was on speed 1. I always thought these lite flite bits just drilled crappy compared to the metal ones. Now I am convinced they were designed for a drill and to be turned faster. Those 24v augers are dogs. SM replaced mine too under warranty and it was still a dog. Drills a slow hole and feels like it takes a lot of power to do it. The 2904 did it effortlessly. Amazing.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Jan 10, 2023, 05:25 PM »
I did 10 holes through about 18” inches of ice on an 8ah battery. Still shows 4 bars and won’t charge as it’s still full. My 4ah 24v auger battery would be about half dead.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Jan 10, 2023, 06:55 PM »
I did 10 holes through about 18” inches of ice on an 8ah battery. Still shows 4 bars and won’t charge as it’s still full. My 4ah 24v auger battery would be about half dead.

Ive had the same experiences with my 2904//8ah setup.  Truly amazing!

I actually drained the 8ah the other day.  At least 100 holes thru a measured 12"of hard ice.  With a 6" bit. I have both 6 and 8" litefites.
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 15, 2023, 03:02 PM »
I am considering getting that.  Do you have to take the chuck off the drill to fit the auger?

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #42 on: Jan 15, 2023, 04:17 PM »
I am considering getting that.  Do you have to take the chuck off the drill to fit the auger?

No. God no. ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline aln

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 16, 2023, 08:31 PM »
I currently have a clam plate with 6" Lite Flite & Kobalt drill, thinking of going up to 8". Is the gear box recommended? Thank you.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #44 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:25 AM »
I currently have a clam plate with 6" Lite Flite & Kobalt drill, thinking of going up to 8". Is the gear box recommended? Thank you.

What is the model number of your Kobalt ? How many in/lbs is your drill ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline aln

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 17, 2023, 09:52 AM »
What is the model number of your Kobalt ? How many in/lbs is your drill ?

24V brushless XTR, 1200 in-lb with 4Ah battery

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Jan 17, 2023, 10:08 AM »
24V brushless XTR, 1200 in-lb with 4Ah battery

You should be fine with that drill ..I prefer 5ah batteries but the 4ah should be fine ..no need for gear reduction .

PM SENT act quickly

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 17, 2023, 08:20 PM »
I just got my lite flight auger delivered just now.  However, after connecting to the drill, it seems to be standing a little high.  Is there a way to lower it down to about 6 inches? 

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 17, 2023, 08:31 PM »
I just got my lite flight auger delivered just now.  However, after connecting to the drill, it seems to be standing a little high.  Is there a way to lower it down to about 6 inches?
No there is not.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Jan 17, 2023, 08:33 PM »
Fished all day yesterday with the 2904 and 8” lite flite. 12ah battery. I didn’t keep count but drilled at least 50 holes through an average of 20” of ice. Could have been 60 or a little more. Still had one bar of battery left.

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 17, 2023, 09:00 PM »
No there is not.
Lol.  I guess this auger is not intended for short people then.  Anyone here uses this auger that is 5'8" or under and do you have any problem with holding down the drill?

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 17, 2023, 09:16 PM »
You’ll be fine. It’ll cut like butter and won’t be tall for long. You don’t have to push on it for it to do its thing. Just pull the trigger and let it eat.

Offline lovetofishnow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Jan 17, 2023, 09:32 PM »
Thanks Buckshots!

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Jan 18, 2023, 10:15 AM »
Thanks Buckshots!

I cut my lite-flite down.   A hacksaw works fine.  Also need a drill

It's actually easier on your back if you leave it long.  But its an easy modification.

I took a pic of the 6" next to the un-modified 8".

Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Jan 18, 2023, 12:00 PM »
A little off topic but I just purchased the SM magnetic cover for my 8" lite Flite ..fits well and may be a much appreciated game changer . Waiting for ice . AGAIN !!!

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 18, 2023, 05:26 PM »
On Sunday I went on my maiden voyage with my new (to me) Ice Castle.  I have a super heavy electric auger from when they first came out, and I had modified it to take larger batteries, so it was heavier yet.  Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately from a new toy perspective, 3 of my holes were too close to benches to use my auger.  So, on Monday I went shopping!  The only auger bit I could find locally was an Ekimo Pistol Bit.  That was fine with me as I had done some research and wanted to go with that or the Lite-Flite.  I also bought 2 extensions, and paired it with a Milwaukee M18 Hammer drill.  I'm looking forward to getting out and trying it!
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline calgarygringo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Jan 18, 2023, 11:06 PM »
I went from a 10 in Eskimo gasser to this year's M18 2903 with a pistol bit and loving it. Last week I got out with 2 buddies and hardly got to touch it all day. Texts were flying the next few days looking for info for other friends they told about. Mine works great and at 24 inches of ice up here it cuts like butter. Do not see any reason for the gasser any more at this point.

On Sunday I went on my maiden voyage with my new (to me) Ice Castle.  I have a super heavy electric auger from when they first came out, and I had modified it to take larger batteries, so it was heavier yet.  Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately from a new toy perspective, 3 of my holes were too close to benches to use my auger.  So, on Monday I went shopping!  The only auger bit I could find locally was an Ekimo Pistol Bit.  That was fine with me as I had done some research and wanted to go with that or the Lite-Flite.  I also bought 2 extensions, and paired it with a Milwaukee M18 Hammer drill.  I'm looking forward to getting out and trying it!

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:15 AM »
I went from a 10 in Eskimo gasser to this year's M18 2903 with a pistol bit and loving it. Last week I got out with 2 buddies and hardly got to touch it all day. Texts were flying the next few days looking for info for other friends they told about. Mine works great and at 24 inches of ice up here it cuts like butter. Do not see any reason for the gasser any more at this point.

That's awesome to hear.  I'm excited to use it.  I'm hoping to get out Saturday.  Unfortunately drivable ice is 1.5 hrs away, and we've had unusually warm temps, so I'm not sure how far I will have to go.
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 22, 2023, 01:19 AM »
Lol.  I guess this auger is not intended for short people then.  Anyone here uses this auger that is 5'8" or under and do you have any problem with holding down the drill?
I'm 5'8" and have been using an 8 inch Lite-Flite for two seasons now and don't have any problems at all drilling with it. It's nice that it's a bit longer as I could be drilling through almost 2 feet of ice in some reservoirs near the end of the season.

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #59 on: Jan 23, 2023, 06:26 AM »
Nice! I’ve been debating a new battery as one of my 5ah is getting a bit tired. One 8ah is $220 and 2x5ah are $230 in Canada…

For the $220 you are quoting you may be able to find a package of (2) 5 amp and a tool...Might as well get a tool you can use for same price or a little bit more.   I found the cheapest way to get new batteries for Milwaukee is to get package deals with tools.  Last summer I bought a Fuel sawzall with (2)  5 amps for $300 and got a free 8amp!  ( Sorry just saw you're in Canada, might be more up there with your dollars  but the same concept.)

Check the Home Depot Special Buy of the Day.  Each day they list products on sale, usually online orders, it varies from Garage storage cabinets to toilets to Tools!)  Each day is different items. 
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.