Author Topic: perch on tipups  (Read 4607 times)

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
perch on tipups
« on: Feb 24, 2022, 11:15 PM »
a few times this year, i've had tipups out with a variety of baits while jigging up decent sized perch. i'd get a flag and check it, only to find that nothing was amiss. bait still there, no line pulled off, etc., and i'd taken measures to ensure against wind flags.
i suspect perch are tripping the flag and taking off without the bait, but i'm not sure why they're not fully committing.

my tipup rigs are either weightless or only have a small spinner blade rigged a few inches above the hook; my leaders are fairly light and long (8 lb test, usually 24-48 inches long depending on water clarity); and my hooks are round bend trebles sized to the bait i'm using; no smaller than a 14, no larger than a 6.
baits include small salted minnows (live minnows aren't legal in my state), pieces of cutbait, chunks of nightcrawler, a mealworm, or a few waxworms. all of these have been bit as described above.

any tips are appreciated, i intend to try single hooks on my next trip, and possibly even lighter line for the leader, but aside from that i don't really have any ideas.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
Re: perch on tipups
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2022, 07:02 AM »
When I started using Quick Strike Rigs with Double Rider hooks I started to catch all the bait stealers on my tip-ups... Best to make sure they are legal in your state.

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 26, 2022, 04:12 PM »
When I started using Quick Strike Rigs with Double Rider hooks I started to catch all the bait stealers on my tip-ups... Best to make sure they are legal in your state.
(Image removed from quote.)
(Image removed from quote.)
Nice! Can you give me more details on those hooks? Are they pre-rigged, or you tied them yourself?
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2022, 05:29 AM »
number six trebles do the same or better.

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2022, 06:18 AM »
Nice! Can you give me more details on those hooks? Are they pre-rigged, or you tied them yourself?

I rig them myself and when I can't find them I make the hooks by gluing and wrapping them with kevlar thread. I tried the trebles and they do work, but find them harder to remove from fish and more apt to catch on things I don't want to be caught. Hook size is dictated by the size of the bait and I most often rig the forward hook to "slide". The name of the rig comes from the way you use it; no waiting, feel the fish set the hook, and most often it is in the lips for a good release.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2022, 10:27 AM »
Are you targeting Pike on your tipups? If so, Cisco (Whitefish will work too) are killer...dead or alive. And don't be afraid to go big. A buddy caught a 40"er the other day using a 12" Cisco he'd caught. Should take care of your Perch "pecking" problem  too.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2022, 03:18 PM »
yeah, to clarify, i am targeting perch. there's no pike in southern idaho, unfortunately.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2022, 03:49 PM »
Light Aberdeen hooks ..I like red and a true turn style as well,paired with light mono line 4 lbs test .A much better bet is the same set up on a tip down

https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Turn-size-Aberdeen-Hooks/dp/B00144CEPK/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=mr%2Bcrappie%2Bhooks&qid=1645997971&sr=8-9&th=1&psc=1

https://www.facebook.com/SureStrike-Tipdowns-102779381784828/?ref=page_internal
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2022, 04:50 PM »
yeah, to clarify, i am targeting perch. there's no pike in southern idaho, unfortunately.

Ahhh...gotcha. Now that I know, how about those automatic fisherman's? I started using them this season and they work real well on the Perch. I made the ones from "Haulin' Ash Outdoors" ( it's on YouTube) .Cheap and easy to make.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2022, 06:35 PM »
Light Aberdeen hooks ..I like red and a true turn style as well,paired with light mono line 4 lbs test .A much better bet is the same set up on a tip down

i'll dig out some aberdeen hooks from my open water kit and give that a try. i've used tip downs plenty, i'm just currently trying to get more practice and experience with tipups specifically. much of the fishing around my area is done with rods in rod holders, automatic hookset devices, or tip downs, and almost no-one uses tipups so naturally i've become fascinated by them, hahahaha  ;D

Ahhh...gotcha. Now that I know, how about those automatic fisherman's? I started using them this season and they work real well on the Perch. I made the ones from "Haulin' Ash Outdoors" ( it's on YouTube) .Cheap and easy to make.

they're awesome! the guy that invented the jawjacker is from my corner of the state, so automatic hookset devices have become very popular around here, and for good reason: they're fantastic for catching all sorts of different species, and perch are no different. when my full group of fishing buddies gets out together, we usually have around 15 set up alongside tip-downs and dead rods. but, as i said above, i've become fascinated by tipups since no-one else around here uses them; and there's really nothing quite like that sprint to check on a popped flag.

so far i've used tipups successfully for targeting largemouth, trout, walleyes, and catfish, but perch have given me the bird. if i can figure this out, it'll be another tool in my arsenal that might give me an edge.

Offline R.S.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2022, 04:04 AM »
he didnt invent the jaw jacker.  he just copied someone else. it was invented in the early 70s and was called the steelie slammer.  homemade pvc slammers work just the same for cheap.  there are ones that use mouse traps to set hooks also.  search youtube and youll find plenty.

very good suggestion though iceassin!  i thought he was setting for pike and getting robbed, from original post.

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 14, 2022, 02:55 PM »
I have used tipups like this for perch for a dozen years now. I pulled a lot of perch out of Cascade on them when it was really going 7-10 years ago. You need to balance them so the slightest bite causes them to tip up, and then they get about 12 inches of slack before they run out of slack. I did find that you have a very small window to hook them- they don't hang on to the bait forever, and you sure catch a lot less of your bites than you do with a jig rod, or even a Jawjacker. I used them originally to find fish, since I had no electronics, so I set them in a line 15 paces apart. It kept us warm running, but we could not get there fast enough. These days, I set them close, never more than 15 steps from my seat. I also put them where I will see them, not behind me, so I get there quick. I see better results with some kind of jig or spoon than a bare hook, and use a piece of nightcrawler, or if I can get it, a perch minnow that a previous perch barfed up. A perch eye is also a good, tough bait.
I also go around and jig them every so often. I get many bites immediately after I move them.

:tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.