New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: “SANDY POND “by Boggey  (Read 131351 times)

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
“SANDY POND “by Boggey
« on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:49 PM »
Yo Guys & Gals

Wanted to have a dedicated thread for the Pond. This thread will be mostly dedicated to the Pond , but warning!
You may from time to tlme be privy to my latest nightmare, meandering short story or just plain gibberish.

Most of the time I will stay on point and post all things relative to the Pond. Your contributions to the party are welcome and together, hopefully we can maintain a fun informative thread related to the Pond.

I will start with a brief description of my day on the Pond. Accessed from the Wigwam this morning @ 7:00. Me and about 60 to 70 other guys and gals. Took a new direction out, toward the south end of the Pond. Never had much luck down at that end. Seems all them Oswego boys have it all mapped out.

Didn’t have to cut many holes. Last nights temperatures only put a light skin coating on yesterday’s holes. Where I did cut a hole or two the ice thickness was a uniform 4-5 inches with a dusting of one inch of new fallen snow on top. Easy drag.

Won’t bore you with blow by blow description, but managed to coax 10 perch from their watery habitat. My opinion of this season's bite pattern so far is favorable. My summer walleye partner Perry T made it up from Spenserport as he ain’t got no ice on Cranberry or Long Pond. Only saw him as he was walking up the ramp. Don’t worry. He left most of our fish stock in place😀😀😀 That’s all for now. Getting up to 40 degrees tomorrow. Although the ice looked good at all my holes, this warm up will take it’s toll. Be safe out there and use that spud for more than a decoration.
Boggey

Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
Re: “SANDY POND “by Boggey
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2021, 03:55 PM »
Sounds awesome boggey. Nice day and a meal to boot. Can’t wait to get on more hard water.
Tight lines
Perchin
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2021, 04:08 PM »
Hey New OId Guy your partner lives one town over from me and his local ponds are in my town .....love your reports good reads as I wait for ice so I can get up to camp on Oneida....keep on top and keep the post coming I look forward to reading about your adventures

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2021, 04:35 PM »
Nice job Bog. As always good yarn spinning. We went out Wednesday In between Seber and Blind... tough day one small pike and zero keeper perch. Alibi we weren’t were I would have liked to get only 6-7 feet. So it was all good lots of conversation or bs. Thanks bud great post keep them coming.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2021, 05:53 PM »
Well I was out there also and managed 10 keeper perch but had to work for them,went out south o& the Wigwam lots of people out and moving trying to find the hone hole.4 to 5 inches where I was.

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2021, 06:10 PM »
Ohh look my new favorite thread
.... AND TO THE FISHING GODS WE SHALL PRAY

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2021, 09:50 PM »
Yo guys & Gals

I’m glad to hear from my partners in crime , Jigger and the Krackin. They have been my main crutches and moral supporters this last year. Through some tough times. Thanks guys. Hope you both will give your sage advise and commentaries on this Sandy Pond thread. Besides that if you are their buds they bring you lots of venison and summer sausage.😃😃😃, just saying.

Side note: has everyone noticed your favorite fishing spot or “honey hole “ is about 3 foot shallower this year?. They are keeping the lake level lower this year in anticipation of the wet season in the spring. I can live with it if it prevents the horrible devastation to shore line camps and residences. Just sayin.

Off the ice today. 76 years on this good earth,pre existing health conditions and the Lords blessings have put me near the front of the line for my corona virus shots tomorrow morning. Stay positive and safe on the ice and off.

Boggey
Start each day with the exuberance of a 10 year old . Do not allow those around you to diminish that exuberance.

Offline THE KRACKEN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:57 AM »
Thanks Boggey. That’s what you do when your a friend. I’ve never fished out from the Wigwam. The ice holds up and it looks like some cold weather after this weekend I guess I need to try it. Got to admit can’t wait for Chamout to ice up...... hopefully. Getting my shot Sunday.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2021, 08:38 AM »
Kracken...

New to site - but a long term Pond Rat that has recently gotten (back) into ice fishing.

I too want to get up to Chaumont.

Very little information on ice conditions there - including Chaumont Hardware FB.  Does anybody have info on that area?

I had a trip planned for next weekend (23rd - might cancel / push the date) because I'm thinking the ice will still be forming and firming up...with low(er) temps expected there middle to end of next week.  It's a 2 1/2 hour trip for me from southern tier...would like solid intel before I make the trip.

Anybody...?
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline Stu45

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start 'em young
« Reply #9 on: Jan 15, 2021, 10:40 AM »
Nice talking to you this morning Bogey, like I said, anytime you pick up the phone I consider myself lucky!  Heading out in the morning, I'll give you a shout, I'm sure I'll find you at one point or another.  And you hit the nail on the head, Jigger has certainly helped me out the last few years, Pond people are good people as a general rule.  Maybe see you out there this weekend Jigger?  Have a great day all, and be safe!
There's a difference between having ten years experience and repeating your Rookie year 10 times!

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 15, 2021, 12:44 PM »
Yo Stu

Hope you stop in to visit my friend. If not maybe we will meet up on the ice. Just put some scalloped potatoes in the crock pot. I can warm them back
up for lunch tomorrow.

Just a note, if you are a cribbage player, old Boggey has a well used cribbage board here at the fish camp. We take on all comers. By appointment naturally.

Boggey

Offline Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2021, 05:02 PM »
Hey Stu ,great hearing from you Hopefully all of us can get together to do some fishing and sharing stories,I’ll bring some summer sausage.I am also waiting for a trip to Chamount for some perch action ,but only when it is safe

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 15, 2021, 07:11 PM »
Man I gotta meet ya guys sometime

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2021, 08:01 PM »
Kracken...

New to site - but a long term Pond Rat that has recently gotten (back) into ice fishing.

I too want to get up to Chaumont.
Chaumont Masters....
Very little information on ice conditions there - including Chaumont Hardware FB.  Does anybody have info on that area?

I had a trip planned for next weekend (23rd - might cancel / push the date) because I'm thinking the ice will still be forming and firming up...with low(er) temps expected there middle to end of next week.  It's a 2 1/2 hour trip for me from southern tier...would like solid intel before I make the trip.

Anybody...?

Offline hrdcore

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2021, 08:04 PM »
Check out Chaumont Masters.. Lewis will help you out.

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:21 AM »
Yo guys & Gals

Warm temps , rain and snow threatens our ice build through Sunday evening before Temps turn back to freezing.

Let’s pray our ice holds through the snow and blow. I will make a trip around the Pond and give you my observations (not recommendations) this morning. Stay turned

Boggey
Post Script: The Elms has open water 220 yards out from ramp. Cut holes on the way out. 3-4 inches of ice with 1 inch of slush and water on top. 3 shanty’s with 8 people fishing along the edge of the open water.

Trip to Green Point, walked out 250 yards past the docks. Cut 3 holes , each measured 5 inches+ with an inch of slush over the top. 7 shanties and several pail sitters were on the ice, oh yeh, and one young man on skates😀😀😅

Stanley drive access had no cars in parking lot. I did not cut any holes in the canal. Non report of ice conditions there.

The

Offline deadlake

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 16, 2021, 07:07 AM »
So anybody catch any pike on tip ups?

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:39 AM »
Yo guy & Gals

Posting live on the ice out of the wigwam ramp. I cut a couple holes about 400 yards out . One hole was 4 and a half the other was 5 inches thick .

Lots of shanties and pail sitters.

Lots of travelers here. Met two young men Conner and Michael from Buffalo. They were just setting up and caught there first perch as we were talking. Not a lot of moving around. That’s usually a good sign. I here a lot of wahoos! That’s also a good sign. I might post some more pictures, but meantime I’m going to wet my line and see if I can catch me some of them perch👍👍

Boggey

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #18 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:41 AM »
Yo Jim looks pretty wet out there...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16, 2021, 08:43 AM »

All good if water doesn’t soak through , good luck Jim

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 16, 2021, 09:18 AM »

All good if water doesn’t soak through , good luck Jim

Yo Fredy

There are some big drain holes out here as well from the warm weather and last nights rain. Also seeing air bubbles in the dark ice. Open water between Carl Island and Green Point extending back to the Elms does not look good either. The high winds they are predicting could be devastating,
Boggey

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:15 AM »

Thanks Jim enjoy and be safe

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #22 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:57 AM »
Hrdcore

...yes...I have already contacted Louis at Chaumont Masters a few weeks ago and I have a trip booked for next Saturday the 23rd...but by all accounts - I don't think that's going to happen...too soon - not enough ice (there)...not yet, anyway.

We all see cold temps coming...lake winds don't wipe us out.

I've also gotten advise/direction from Kracken...would love to meet up on the Pond ice someday soon.  :icefish:
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 16, 2021, 11:59 AM »
Yo guys & Gals

Back at camp now . Couldn’t wait to warm up yesterday’s scalloped potatoes. They were good yesterday and even better warmed up.

I saw “Stu” out on the ice. It was rather fortuitous as he had just finished cooking up some of his home made sausage. Fabulous. I think he is contending with TommyBoys “Beer Brats”.

Close this post out with a Boggey fish count for this morning. 3 dinks, which isn’t bad considering I was talking and gabbing most of the time. Stay safe, on and off the ice my friends.

Boggey

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:01 PM »
boggey  any  toothy  critters  caught that you seen?

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 16, 2021, 12:10 PM »
Yo Trap

Yes I heard several “flag” calls when I was out. Stu said he caught the smallest pike he ever saw. His perch was bigger than the pike. Stu says “now Boggey, don’t go putting words in my mouth” :nono: :nono: it was small though.

Boggey

Offline woodburn

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 16, 2021, 01:05 PM »
Was going to head up with grandson tomorrow but will wassit to see what the weather does. Not isn to swimming this time of year. Anybody know how Blind Creek looks?

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 16, 2021, 06:26 PM »
Yo guys & Gals

I had a chance to review some of the pictures I took today. The attached picture is the private ramp off of blind creek. Last year the water level was 6 inches below the top of that top rock. Every wind/ wave event would blow water over top of the rock retaining wall. Some difference eh?

Boggey

Offline New Old Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 17, 2021, 07:47 AM »
Yo Guys & Gals,

The overnight wind and rain were not kind to our ice conditions here on the Pond. Attached are some pictures from the Wigwam ramp. Please note that dark stuff ain’t ice. It’s open water.

Hate to be the bearer of I’ll tidings, but let’s look forward to the dropping temps for the next 10 days and pray our ice will build back better than before. Polyannish? I don’t think so. Meantime stay safe out there , on and off the ice.

Boggey

Offline nykonsdream

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 17, 2021, 08:14 AM »
Temps look good but the snow doesn’t

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.