The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Under Water Camera's  (Read 1687 times)

Offline Fetters

• IceShanty Rookie
Under Water Camera's
« on: Dec 15, 2005, 06:48 PM »
As I am sure this is not the first time a thread of this topic has been posted....But just curious about some info on these. Am thinking about putting one on my X-mas list but heard alot of mixed reviews mostly negative.  Any inf as far as makes, models, pros and cons would be great.

Thanks

Fetters

Offline My Dinghy

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Under Water Camera's
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:09 PM »
I use the Aqua View DT 100.  I caught more fish with it, than with out it. Therefore,  I would have to give it a positive review.  Keep in mind, what works for one angler may not work for another. It fits my style of fishing.   

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2005, 07:32 PM »
My only complaint, is that I have yet to find one that works in sunlight. You either need to be in a shanty, have a black beach towel over your head or have your face pressed against the screen.
Other than that, all my thoughts are very positive, but like any other tool, you have to use it for it to work..........
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Fetters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2005, 08:01 PM »
The biggest complaint I have is they dont work well in cloudy water?

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2005, 09:48 PM »
Used my Scout XL for the first time today on a tiny farrm pond. It was a bit tough to see, but it was really interesting watching a crappie react to a jig and minnow. The first one I bonked off on the ice cause of watching the camera instead of my rod. The second one took a couple of passes then, inhaled and ran, and was calmly iced, then released. There is little doubt that investing some time watching fish react to your presentation will increase your knowlege and skill as an angler. The flip side is that you can get mesmerized, and it is a bit less mobile than a flasher.

MikeThePike

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2005, 03:41 PM »
My only complaint, is that I have yet to find one that works in sunlight. You either need to be in a shanty, have a black beach towel over your head or have your face pressed against the screen.

That seems to be the only real problem with them. I tried mine out for the 2nd time today and it was fine until the sun came out.

Offline boatnik13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2005, 08:01 PM »
I don't know! I have a sun shield that came with mine (Aqua-vu Z-60) and I find it great except you can't fish if your peged to the sun scope the whole time. Always nice to pickout the bad things cause thats the best review. They don't tell you how murky water effects your distance. Aqua-vu did suggest the lowend (infrared only ) for murky water. Lots of items to go over if you get picky like depthfinders. You will or can get your cam stuck in structure ( You'll turn colors just thinking of the expense if you can't retrieve it.  My z60 is trolled under my depthfinder as a working dog  BUT! depthfinders work best over 3 mph and underwater camera's work best at less than 3 mph. Your call ! But I don't go out to a lake without it. A underwater camera is like a depthfinder ,GPS or downrigger !  Do you really need it ?  Depends on what you want. It will show you the fish or anything under the boat and on your 5" t.v. screen they give you and in Black and white world. You will understand your depthfinder better than you ever thought you could once the cam is lowerd. Its not for everyone just like a GPS.   If you get one ! I'd go with the best name like I did but aleast check all brands out.

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2005, 07:45 PM »
I am looking now but my question concerns the new Scout XL and SRT. Are they too heavy and if you were drilling for tip ups etc. and checking all holes before setting your tip ups out? What advantages and disadvantages are there between the new scouts and the DT100?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.