The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Trout for bait  (Read 2393 times)

MikeThePike

Trout for bait
« on: Dec 12, 2005, 05:51 PM »
Anyone know what the rules are in PA for using trout as bait for pike/ musky/ stripers? I know in NJ (I just moved out here) you are aloud to use them as bait as long as they are purchased and you have a receipt for them. Just curious if thats how it is out here. I know most of the lakes I'll be fishing for the bigger fish have stocked trout and the bigger fish always seem to love eating em.

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Trout for bait
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:21 PM »
Yeah Mike you might actually have a warden check out what your doing or go out onto the ice In PA and they might actually fine you.  ;D

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:22 PM »
Trout, and all other gamefish, are legal for bait. Providing you have a receipt that you bought them from an authorized PA bait dealer. Authorized PA dealer, got that??

OR, big OR, that you caught them using legal methods and obeyed all season, size, creel and possesion limits.

I think that if you wanted to use a 31" musky for bait, it would be legal, as long as it was caught legally.

MY DISCLAIMER ;D ;D If I'm wrong, you may not use this as your defense in court.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline odriscoll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:28 PM »
Contact the PFBC via email.

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/inform.htm

is the page you need.   Scroll down to Regulations.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:34 PM »
Sorry, took me a second to find it, page 6, top right corner, of the 2005 regs that came with your license.

..................you do have the book, right???????????? ;D ;D ;D
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 12, 2005, 06:36 PM »
   Byron is 100% right. They use them all the time at Raystown for what ever. (RECEIPT)(RECEIPT)
Always keep your line wet!

MikeThePike

« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2005, 09:50 AM »
Sorry, took me a second to find it, page 6, top right corner, of the 2005 regs that came with your license.

..................you do have the book, right???????????? ;D ;D ;D

Lets see, I bought my liscence in Janurary so I lost the booklet around, um, Janurary...lol

Looks like I'll have to go catch me some trout and save money on bait.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #7 on: Dec 13, 2005, 10:25 AM »
Mike,

If you catch it legally and it is of legal size you can use it for bait no matter what it is.  some favorite wild baits of mine for toothy critters in Pa are small perch and large golden shiners.  I usually try to shock them somehow so they can not swim correctly and swim distressed.  I also clip a fin or two to get them swimmng funny. 

Good luck,

Dave

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline Ice nut

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 13, 2005, 03:02 PM »
Wallenpaupack bait shop sold trout last year.
Stackin' eyes' at the Pack!

MikeThePike

« Reply #9 on: Dec 13, 2005, 04:30 PM »
I loved using perch for bait back in NJ. Caught many fish on em. I'd throw em on the tip-ups as I caught em tho since they are gamefish in NJ and its illegal to use gamefish for bait without a reciept.

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:33 PM »
Trout, and all other gamefish, are legal for bait. Providing you have a receipt that you bought them from an authorized PA bait dealer. Authorized PA dealer, got that??

OR, big OR, that you caught them using legal methods and obeyed all season, size, creel and possesion limits.

I think that if you wanted to use a 31" musky for bait, it would be legal, as long as it was caught legally.

MY DISCLAIMER ;D ;D If I'm wrong, you may not use this as your defense in court.

Offline sully

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #11 on: Dec 13, 2005, 08:37 PM »
where does it say that it has to be a pa authorized bait dealer.i cant find that..it says licensed dealer not pa dealer

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.