The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Fishing line  (Read 1044 times)

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fishing line
« on: Dec 09, 2005, 08:44 AM »
I used to use a standard 4 pound fluorocarbon line.  This year I bought some HT arctic ice line in 3.7 LB test a Kg rating of 1.70.  In appearance it seem like it may be  a way better line we will have to see what the memory is like, anyone ever use this in the past?

I just rigged it up on my Tundra TN-500 which is a great real for the money, keep in mind if you are going to check this line out it is skinny so keep some of your old line on the spool. 

What are you all running for line?

Snapper

Offline Thor

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Fishing line
« Reply #1 on: Dec 09, 2005, 09:08 AM »
I've tried many mono/fluoro "ice" lines or "cold weather" lines over the years.  I've never really been happy with them.  They all seem to have too much memory.  The "Fireline Ice" braid that I tried would freeze up and be covered with ice.  That was a joke.  Maybe it's ok in a shanty.

Last year, I tried regular Stren Gold in 2 lb. test, with a very tiny Spro swivel and a fluorocarbon leader.  The Stren Gold was great.  It seemed to have less memory than any of the ice line I've tried, it remained supple, and it's easy to see on the ice.  I am a big believer in using a swivel anyway (keeps your lure from "spinning", which I believe fish do not like), so tying on the fluorocarbon leader is no big deal.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 09, 2005, 10:34 AM »
Last year, I used 4# Floroclear (P-Line)with good results. Strong, and very hard to see. As far as memory, it seemed OK. Naturally, it was kinky this year, but I always put fresh line on, so that was no big deal. Just picked up a spool of 2#, and 4# at Cabelas.

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 09, 2005, 11:15 AM »
I'm going to buy/try some Cajin Red line for cold water, available from Cabela's. I used the regular line this summer, produced smooth casts and was strong stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.