The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Boy, am I lost!  (Read 3117 times)

Ralphus

Boy, am I lost!
« on: Nov 30, 2005, 11:38 AM »
Newbie fisherman (and ice-fisherman) here and would love some general help.  Is there anywhere I could go for instructions on how to set up jigs for (ice) fishing?  I see people all the time talking about weights, methods and pork trailers etc... but a lot of this would assume a basic knowledge which I don't have at this point.  Thanks in advance for any help!   ???

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
Re: Boy, am I lost!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30, 2005, 01:13 PM »
Welcome to IS Ralphus, If you spend some time looking around this site you will find out just about everything that you need. If there is something that you have a question about just ask and someone will know the answer.
        Jim

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2005, 01:43 PM »

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2005, 02:18 PM »
A good book that your local library might have is "Modern methods of ice fishing"  by Tom Gruenwald. I know our library system in my county has that book. Also, if you have a Gander Mountain near you, you can pick up the 2006 in-fisherman ice guide. Sometimes Border's or Barnes & Noble bookstores have this also. There is also an Ice fishing magazine by F & W that i picked up at a Barnes & Noble about 3 weeks ago.
    There is some good articles that you can look at by clicking HERE that should help you also. Just scroll towards the bottom of the page.
Ken                                          

Offline JiggerPa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2005, 09:16 PM »
If you have trouble finding the in-fisherman ice fishing magazine you can oreder it from their website for $5.30 including tax and shipping

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2005, 07:06 AM »
Ralphus,

Spend the next several months reading every post on here, and you'll have a PHD in ice fishing ;D ;D at least when it comes to the technique part of it.

I know it probably isn't feasible to read every post on here, but there really is an amazing amount of information on here, all free for the asking. ;) ;)
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:12 PM »
Probably the bes help u can get is on the ice  most of the members of IS wuold be glad if u wanted to tag along >That way u could get on the ice time and see how its done.
and also keep
 an eye out for outings we sometimes have 'theres one being planned for deep creek MD on Jan 28 and 29  Welcome to Ice Shanty you'll find a fantastic grou[p here and will be mor tha happy to get u hooked like we are
 :tipup:
Tight Lines

Offline R.V. ICEMAN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • VEX, is sure an expensive depth finder..
« Reply #7 on: Dec 01, 2005, 09:05 PM »
new guy, read around on this site, find a ice fishing friend, and live and learn, the most important thing is to bring lots of beer and food
The more fish we release, is more fish we all can catch.  b/c we all like to catch.   Catch, Photo, Release!!  Such an easy concept, but so hard for others to understand!!!!!

Offline slider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2005, 09:13 AM »
Bikini clad women r always an ice breaker too

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2005, 02:52 PM »
where ya from in PA?

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #10 on: Dec 04, 2005, 03:45 PM »
where ya from in PA?
hey newbie i'm from the pgh area would be willin' to show you the ropes have enough equipment   mofish
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline penna

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • We Need Another Ice Age !
« Reply #11 on: Dec 04, 2005, 04:35 PM »
HEY 1mo don't forget you're rope if you fish saturday ;D
May the LORD BLESS and keep each of you safe on the ice.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2005, 09:27 PM »
the only rope i remember is mohammed ali's rope a dope; the only way to go is to git-r-dun mofish :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :angel                     phillipians 4:19
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline MO FISH jr.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2005, 05:54 PM »
hey old man! you better not be gettin yer hair wet with all that rope a dope talk ;D

Offline CAMOTIM

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 06, 2005, 11:57 AM »
hey old man! you better not be gettin yer hair wet with all that rope a dope talk ;D

1MO:Is this guy a relative???
You going to hit Arthur Sat? I'll bring your custom made sled.
CAMO

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 07, 2005, 09:25 AM »
ya billy the kid probally the best icefisherman in our family although natalie is an up an comer the next in line for the title   also never got ma hair wet yet  :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :cookoo: :whistle: :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: :flex: :flex: :angel

Ralphus

« Reply #16 on: Dec 14, 2005, 11:08 AM »
Sorry, don't mean to bump this topic, but have been incredible busy wasting time at work.  Thanks for the help...your right, anything I want to know can be found in this Forum somewhere (special thanks to the guy who sent me the link to the articles) :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.